Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deep breaths

Options
  • 30-07-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi,

October last year, all of a sudden I started to have shortness of breath. And even that description is not really accurate. I suppose the best way to describe it is that I had a compulsion to take a deep breath and could not.

At the time I was quite busy with a new job, was planning a big holiday for my wife and I, and was in general very busy, but not to my mind stressed.

Anyway, after the holiday and Christmas, the "compulsion" went away as suddenly as it had arrived. So much so, that I did not even realise it until I really thought about it. That was in April time.

But recently it has come back. And it is affecting me more this time. Since October of last year, I have lost around 10-12kg in weight. I did change my lifestyle slightly in terms of lunch and other eating. But also since this time I have been constipated more, and had gas issues (trapped gas, too much gas at times). I read up about this and saw a connection with breathing issues, in that sometimes taking in too much air causes a "full" feeling in the stomach, and can lead to gas issues. I have also had problems concentrating at work and been quite tired in the evenings. 

This morning for example was particularly bad. I got and felt fine for about two minutes, went to take a shower and then I had the need to take a deep breath, and failed to achieve it. This started my heart to race (best way of describing it). After that calmed down my stomach was doing flips and I got a knot in it (all this in 10 minute of getting up - no breakfast yet). Now it is 2 hours after I got up and things are only now starting to calm down. I still have a little tightness in my chest area, but my stomach feels kinda OK (but not perfect).

I was a smoker for a number of years, but I don’t think this has anything to do with it, as when I think about it, this issue has always been with me. Also it is not a fitness thing as I am not overweight (I am toward the top of my preferred BMI, but not over it) but I could be fitter.

A lot of the research seems to point to anxiety/stress. And this could be it. Maybe the compulsion to take a deep breath and not getting one causes the racing heart, and the air imbalance I am creating is causing the stomach issues.

The thing is I don’t feel stressed or nervous or anxious. I feel normal. I have never had mental health or social problems. I am going to have acupuncture on Saturday to see if this helps with my issue. I do feel it is mental in origin, as I have no problems sleeping and when I am totally relaxed the compulsion seems to go away, but it is hard to tell as when I am relaxed I tend to drift off.

So what am I looking for here? Well just to see if anybody else has ever had this, or something close to it, and how do they deal with it, what did they do?

I did go to the doctor, and they said stress/anxiety, but I don’t know. And the internet is terrifying when trying to look up stuff like this!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 flatey

Yep.

Dyspnoea or air hunger.

You can stop an attack pretty quickly by 'inhaling dirty air'.
    Doctors used to prescribe smoking as a remedy!
    I found a much easier option of breathing in near a cloud of freshly sprayed air freshener or breath spray. Stops it dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Once your mind tunes in to your breathing it's too easy to overthink it. This can make you overbreathe and before you know it your heart is racing, your hands are tingling and your chest is getting tight.

I suffer with chronic disequilibrium (feelings of false motion), and early on bad episodes made me overbreathe. If you have a very acid stomach that can make you feel very tense and almost anxious too, which can make you overbreathe. I got a great book on Amazon, it teaches you to not overbreathe and the most important thing I got from it was to keep my mouth shut and only breathe in through my nose. I've never had a problem since, I think that once your mind relaxes and switches off from the urge to overbreathe it ceases to be an issue. Of course, I say all this assuming that your doctor has ruled out any sinister causes.

This is the book I got: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyperventilation-Syndrome-Breathing-Disorders-Overcome/dp/0857830295

Advertisement