Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Bit of Equipment Help

Options
  • 20-07-2015 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Just looking for some advice, I'm going through a phase of trying out some new dishes, but it seems a lot of them require a cassorole with a lid and is used on the hob, NOT the oven.

So a couple of questions,

If I didn't want go out and by one, what are my options? Is a wok with a lid a good option.

But

If I did decide to take the plunge, what type of material would be suitable for my electric hob?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If it's being cooked on the hob any saucepan with a lid will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Cast iron ones will work with electric, gas and induction hobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

If it's being cooked on the hob any saucepan with a lid will do the job.

That was my first thought but a friend( who works in a kitchen) said no, but I couldn't see much difference,

By any sausepan, that includes deep pans and woks, I assume
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That was my first thought but a friend( who works in a kitchen) said no, but I couldn't see much difference,

By any sausepan, that includes deep pans and woks, I assume
    ?

Not sure what you mean by deep pans.
    A wok might be a bit thin for stewing - could burn. The heavier the base of the pan, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you're talking about making stews, casseroles etc. then a Le Creuset type cast-iron casserole dish would be my weapon of choice. It can be used on the hob, in the oven or both.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    If you're talking about making stews, casseroles etc. then a Le Creuset type cast-iron casserole dish would be my weapon of choice. It can be used on the hob, in the oven or both.

Its for Asian curry's

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've been making curries in 'normal' pots on a hob for years. Just go for it.

I've been making curries in 'normal' pots on a hob for years. Just go for it.

I think its used to speed up the cooking really...

There are two recipes i'm looking to try
    Wet Rendang(non traditional style)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beef_rendang_62793
    Thai massaman Curry(Traditional Cooked for 2 hours i believe)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/thai_massaman_chicken_82428

So would my tefel wok with a lid be good enough for these dishes?

Cheers again

I have no idea what a Tefal wok is like. The first recipe needs long, slow cooking, so if your wok has a good heavy bottom on it it should be fine. If not, it will burn.

The second recipe can be cooked in way less than 2 hours (check the timings again). You may get away with a wok for this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Alun wrote: »

The problem is getting one that's not massive. I only use mine for big batches.

• Advertisement

katydid wrote: »
    The problem is getting one that's not massive. I only use mine for big batches.
    That would depend on your definition of 'massive' I guess .. I have two, an oval one which might fit that description and is used for making batches of chilli / spag bol etc. for the freezer, but the other round one is about 22cm diameter and 10cm deep which is pretty average really.

Even seeing the wok doesn't tell me if it has a heavy base that would be suited to long, slow cooking. Woks are generally quite light & more suitable for quick cooking on a very high heat.

So, for the Wet Rendang - I would say that you would be better off using something else. For the Thai massaman Curry - you may get away with the wok, but only if you follow the timings in the recipe - not 2 hours - & stir every few minutes so that it doesn't burn.

I have a similar wok and it's very light in weight. I agree with THB, it'd be OK for the Chicken Massaman Curry I'd say which doesn't need too long a cooking time, as it's based on chicken fillet cut into strips, but get something heavier for the Rendang or doing anything else that requires long slow cooking.

Advertisement