Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a new phone

Options
  • 10-02-2015 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

My samsung s3 failed a drop test and I need to replace budget €200 max I'm thinking moto g 5inch. The camera is very important does anyone have it and would you recommend it. Pros/cons. All advice and opinions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Moto G camera is not the best but you cant go wrong with the price of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 aisoconnor

I got a BQ Aquaris E5 4G yesterday. Obviously I can't give an in-depth review but so far it seems really good and it was only €199.90 + €20 shipping from Spain. 13MP camera. I can't include links yet but look it up, definitely worth considering. Also comes really quickly, I ordered mine Friday night and it got here Tuesday!

I got a BQ Aquaris E5 4G yesterday. Obviously I can't give an in-depth review but so far it seems really good and it was only €199.90 + €20 shipping from Spain. 13MP camera. I can't include links yet but look it up, definitely worth considering. Also comes really quickly, I ordered mine Friday night and it got here Tuesday!

Also, the Aquaris E5 is 4G capable whereas I don't think the Moto G 2 is, although I haven't done much research so I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

aisoconnor wrote: »

Also, the Aquaris E5 is 4G capable whereas I don't think the Moto G 2 is, although I haven't done much research so I stand to be corrected.

Interested in hearing how this is going for you.

vectra wrote: »
    Interested in hearing how this is going for you.

I really like it, I’m very happy with it! It’s very smooth, and I much prefer it to the Samsung TouchWiz UI. I love that it comes with Google Chrome as stock browser, although that’s just personal preference. It can pick up 4G on Meteor, not sure what other networks. Looking at the specs it can pick up 800/1800/2600MHz so I think that should in theory cover Meteor, Vodafone, O2 and Three, but don’t take my word for it. The camera is nice but I had to play around with the settings a bit. Out of the box it’s very saturated but after a few changes in the somewhat limited settings it’s much better. I think I’m happy with it now. :) It’s 13MP in the specs. Unfortunately I think I’m too new to post photos but if I become eligible for attachments any time soon I’ll post a few pics to show it. The front camera on it is ridiculously good if that’s what you’re into, I think it’s 5MP which is crazy. It’s quite blocky, no curved edges or corners really. 5” screen if I’m correct. Coming from a very outdated Galaxy S2 this is wonderful! I used to have to charge my phone at least twice a day and I only charge this once every 1.5-2 days. I’m sure part of that is just that it’s new but I do use it quite a bit, watching YouTube videos on my commute. There’s a little LED notification light which I’ve never had before so I quite like that, you can change the colour for different notifications. You can double tap to wake and lock the screen which I find very useful as there’s no physical home button to wake the screen as I’m used to, so without double tap you’d have to press the teeny lock button on the side. It’s Dual-Sim if that’s of any advantage to you, maybe with a work phone? The only thing I didn’t like was the stock messaging app but that’s not a big deal, I downloaded the Google Messenger app and I find that much better.

I guess it really depends on what you find important in a phone, so is there anything in particular you’d like to know? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Did you order it directly from the company or was it a third party website?

Sounds good.
    I was actually looking at the 2 gig version for only €50 more.
    worth it you think?
    I would mainly use it for
    phone
    messaging
    FB and web browsing
    And pics.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Did you order it directly from the company or was it a third party website?

Directly from the bq site, I've no idea where else you could buy it from.

vectra wrote: »
    Sounds good.
    I was actually looking at the 2 gig version for only €50 more.
    worth it you think?
    I would mainly use it for
    phone
    messaging
    FB and web browsing
    And pics.

To be honest I don't really know. Double the RAM for €50 is a great deal, I'm just not sure if you'd need it. As far as I'm aware RAM is used for multi-tasking on the phone, whereas the processor is what dictates the speed the phone works at. So RAM would be for switching between apps, whereas the processor is what makes everything load faster. (I am entirely open to correction on that, it's just my understanding of it.) I didn't bother with it because I was looking for the cheapest option possible and, going by the above explanation, I didn't think I'd need the extra RAM for what I'd be doing, but you should definitely do your own research before buying because if it turns out extra RAM would be beneficial that would be a great deal! Sorry I can't be of more help :/ It might be worth starting a thread about if there isn't one already, I'm sure there are plenty of knowledgeable boards users who could advise you, and I'd be interested to know too :)

Thanks for the reply.

Something ti think about alright.
    I am toying between one of these and a Moto g 5.

I thought it said on the site that it is free delivery for your phone?

• Advertisement

I think that's just within Spain, they offer protection for I think €30 but that's only valid within Spain.

OSI wrote: »
    2 gig is fast becoming a minimum in Android phones at this stage. My last 2 handsets have been 1 gig handsets and it quickly becomes a chore. Quite common for background apps to be killed while browsing the net because the phone ran out of RAM.

Excuse my ignorance but I know nothing about RAM or generally anything past the exterior of a phone. What do you mean by background apps? I have one reminder app that I know is always working but other than that what would use RAM and slow down the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Very impressive specs and great prices.

Can't see anything on their website to indicate whether the battery is removable or not. Also no mention of an upgrade path to Android 5.

A pity. I would go for it otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Would you consider a Nexus 5? I know it's not the latest and greatest but it would be streets ahead of the Moto G in everything

Battery is non-removable unfortunately, and it will be upgradeable to Lollipop, BQ just haven't said when

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Thanks for the replies. I rushed into a htc desire 510 and totally hate it. I'll hold onto for as short as possible and replace with something more suitable.

Advertisement