Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC 18 or Xperia z2

• 05-05-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Any advice?
    Thinking of changing to one of these phones, but can't decide? Anyone have one? Any pros and cons? Heard the Sony camera is good but not sure!

Grateful for any opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do you mean the HTC One-M8?
    HTC seems to be the preference but the Sony is a decent piece of kit. Camera wise the Sony seems to be the winner between the two, better resolution, dedicated shutter key and water resistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Yes it is the one-M8. Thanks for that. Just finding it difficult to choose! Have an older HTC which I was happy with. The new HTC looks great but the Xperia camera is tempting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

This might interest you

They have the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor

Both support up to 128GB Micro SD (Dug cache from the Sony Mobile site to find a spec sheet that confirmed 128GB - every other info I read had said 64)

Z2 has 3GB DDR Ram
    One M8 has 2GB DDR Ram

I suspect this is because of the Sony supporting 4K video, though I have read that Sony issued a statement saying to only do 4K recording for a few minutes because of overheating! Yikes!

What features really matter to you? Find out what options you want and see which one has the best.

Good luck

GSM Arena claims the Z2 will take up to 128gb as well.
    Incidentally here is GSM Arena's comparison
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6144&idPhone2=6074

Anyone know anybody that has either phone? Are they happy or not? Any pros or cons? Thanks again for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Anyone know anybody that has either phone? Are they happy or not? Any pros or cons? Thanks again for the help!

I have m8 and very happy. Dont know anything about the sony though to compare. At this end of the market you'll be happy with either I'd imagine. When picking mine I went on looks between M8, Z2 and Samsung Galaxy S5. Plus the reviews generally favoured HTC, but the likes of speed tests etc are not really relevent in every day use. Same goes for camera and screen resolution, not noticeable differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

My wife has the M8 and tomorrow I take delivery of the Z2 so I'll be able to do a direct comparison of both. The M8 is a gorgeous device, really slick and smooth, and very cool to look at. I just fancied the design of the Z2 over it and although it doesn't feel as good in the hand as it's a bit blockier, I have big hands so it's not a big deal. I found it really hard to move away from Samsung so hopefully I'll be vindicated tomorrow!

Thanks suprsi! That's exactly what I need!

SuprSi wrote: »
    My wife has the M8 and tomorrow I take delivery of the Z2 so I'll be able to do a direct comparison of both. The M8 is a gorgeous device, really slick and smooth, and very cool to look at. I just fancied the design of the Z2 over it and although it doesn't feel as good in the hand as it's a bit blockier, I have big hands so it's not a big deal. I found it really hard to move away from Samsung so hopefully I'll be vindicated tomorrow!
    It'll be like driving a car with the indicator switch on the opposite side of the wheel for a while since the back and options buttons have swapped sides.

I took delivery of the Z2 about an hour ago and have had some time with it. My initial impressions were not great - the screen, whatever its made of, attracts fingerprints like none I've come across before. It's also very big, and this is most noticeable when I go into the dialler and try to click on Contacts - usually I can easily reach this button with my thumb but on this phone it's a big stretch.

There are ways around it, but the bottom line is that the top of the screen is almost inaccessible using one hand, and as I've already said I have fairly big hands!

I'm not 100% convinced just yet. I'm updating all of my apps and will have a proper play with it tonight, but if I'm not feeling it I'll bring it back tomorrow and swap it for an S5.

• Advertisement

I should add that there is a sort of rattle coming from the ear speaker when listening to calls so I'll probably be bringing the phone back anyway. Whether I stick with the Z2 or not is up for debate.

That's interesting. I hadn't met anyone with a Z2. Was afraid that I'd get it home and be disappointed. Hope it works out for you suprsi. Let me know how you get on!

Ok so I had my first evening/night with the Z2 last night and I reckon I'll keep it. I got a swap for the original as there was definitely something faulty with the speaker and now it's fine. It's without a doubt the biggest handset I've used, borderline too big. The square shape adds to this and you'll never doubt that it's actually in your pocket!

However, the screen is great, really nice. The camera features are cool and it's really quick & smooth. The Sony 'intrusion' is fairly minimal and tbh the apps are quite useful (Walkman, Album, etc). One of the things I didn't like about the M8 was its height - I felt it was too tall and that space could have been conserved at the top and bottom. I feel the same way about the Z2 - it could definitely be a little taller - knocking half an inch off the total height would make a massive difference. The bezels are quite large compared to the S5. I also don't like how small the button to turn the screen on & off is, though this isn't a major issue as you can double-tap the screen to turn it on anyway.

Overall, it's growing on me. I have 14 days to decide but at this point I reckon I'll keep it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I've an Xperia Z1 (having had a htc desire and htc one X beforehand) and it's a fantastic phone. The camera is nothing short of outstanding (a friend has the 40MP Nokia which has a better picture). I wouldn't stray from Sony any time soon.
    Ok so I had my first evening/night with the Z2 last night and I reckon I'll keep it.

Get an official Sony magnetic charging dock, halves the time required to charge the phone (it does not connect to a pc).

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/magnetic-charging-dock-dk36/

DK36-Magnetic-Charging-Dock-black-1240x840-be887e10e222b76e06312ee857ef56d1.jpg

I like the look of the dock, though I don't think the phone will fit with the case I have, slim and all as it is. Are there different size fittings available or is it just the one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I like the look of the dock, though I don't think the phone will fit with the case I have, slim and all as it is. Are there different size fittings available or is it just the one?

Has an adaptor or two and it can be removed too. The cases arent designed with the dock in mind. Once you see how fast it charges the phone you wont care!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah magnetic charging is the way to go, I have my z1 compact in case and have the dock at work and just have magnetic adapter that plugs into micro usb cable at home.
    It's great as no fiddling with ports on phone

Advertisement