Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you manage your music?

Options
  • 26-05-2014 3:09pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've never really used my phone for storing music before, but since I got a proper car dock I've been putting some songs on there and playing them via bluetooth on my stereo.

The problem is that I'm not mad on how the standard music app manages my music. Are there any better ones? iTunes equivalent (even though I'm not much of a fan of itunes). I'd like to be bale to manage it on my pc if possible.

How do you guys do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Get Poweramp. The only app I've paid money for (like 3 quid) and it's worth every cent.

I just send albums to my device from my PC and it sorts them out and even downloads album art for free if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Google music works a treat if you have cheap internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SteM

not sure if it'll be useful for you but I use MediaMonkey for managing the music stored on my PC. Will rip music from CDs if you want, autotag pre-ripped tracks using info from the web, allow you to reorganise your files/directory structure based on the ID tags etc. Then I transfer the albums I want from my PC to the phone using wi-fi or usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I just use Spotify these days, much handier and no messing. 120 quid a year though!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks guys. Mainly I want to take advantage of the mp3's I already have - and I'll mostly be using it when out in the car, so don't want to chew through my data usage.

How exactly does Google Music work with my existing music and syncing to my phone can anyone tell me?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Mainly I want to take advantage of the mp3's I already have - and I'll mostly be using it when out in the car, so don't want to chew through my data usage.

How exactly does Google Music work with my existing music and syncing to my phone can anyone tell me?
    Thanks

Google music is great, especially if you have a good data cap (or unlimited with 3 for example).

It allows you to store all your own music on the cloud (uploaded through the google music) desktop client), then it automatically syncs this with google music on your android device and their web based music player (which is very good in my opinion).

It is one of the better laid out android music players and is very easy to use and looks well.

You can also pay €9.99 a month for unlimited music access which gives you access to pretty much every song out there and has playlists, radio etc (similar set up to spotify in this regard), this can all be linked with your own music that you have uploaded,

I've been using it for the last year and as you can probably tell by the tone of my answer, that I am very impressed.

Check it out, https://play.google.com/music/listen#/now you also get 1 free month of unlimited streaming.

Edit: if you are worried about your data cap, you can also use the android google music app just to play music that is stored on your phone and not through the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Regarding google music
    if when you are home and the phone is charging, switch on google music using the wifi and play all the songs ( you can turn down the volume all the way, or when its charging overnight ). that way when you do go outside they dont need the internet they will play because they are still in your cache ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Google Music is great.
    We have a shared account between the family and for 9.99 per month we can get almost any song or album on any of the 5 Android devices we have and also on the pc at home and work or anywhere else that has an Internet connection (nice to listen to your own music in work sometimes - dont tell the boss!)

Automatically generated playlist and album art and information on artists is great too
    You can pin music to the phone for offline playing and then you don't have to use too much data while out of Wifi range.

However I am not impressed with the playlist my teenage daughter has as its full of Justin Bieber and the likes and that's not something I want my peers to see!! So that's the only downside of a shared account!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

i use Media Monkey, great for tagging and album art, works great for android

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

daytob wrote: »
    Regarding google music
    if when you are home and the phone is charging, switch on google music using the wifi and play all the songs ( you can turn down the volume all the way, or when its charging overnight ). that way when you do go outside they dont need the internet they will play because they are still in your cache ;)

You can just pin them to your device without having to play them all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What is it specifically about the default app that you don't like? It might be easier to recommend an app that suits you better if you make a list of features you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Another +1 for Google Music.

I store all my music on my PC at home and just sync that folder with Google Music.

In the settings on the app on my phone I've set it to use my external SD card for any music downloaded to the device.
    Then in the app you just pin the songs albums that you want to keep on the phone. They stay there forever so never use your data allowance again (I've attached a screenshot showing what I mean). The little orange pin means it's on the device and will be available when WiFi & 3G is turned off.

It's handy if you have a tablet too as the same music collection is always available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Google Music all the way bro....

If your worried about data simply pin any album you want when you are on WiFi...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

You can just drag n drop the mp3 from your pc to the relevant folder on your phone. When you connect the phone by usb, you get the option to use usb storage. Select this option and browse to the music folder on your phone.
    When you disconnect the phone the phone will auto scan the music folder and update the player. Make sure your tags are correct and the jobs a good un.

Playback can be with the stock player, on 4.4 it's fine but if you want theirs loads of alternatives in the Play store.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Can I use my three account to pay for Google music much the same as I buy apps from the play store?

EDIT: It seems you can,yahoo!!
    So for my 20e top up i can get 15 GB data,any network texts and weekend calls with a sub to Google Music all access, that seems like good value for a score!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Use Spotify premium as find its the handiest.Have Google Music setup too but rarely use it.€19.99 for 48 + Spotify suits me grand.

Advertisement