Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

closing cavity options

Options
  • 25-03-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there i know the traditional way has been to close the cavity atop a double leaf block wall with blocks and to then sit the wall plate on top however my carpenter tells me that this creates a cold thermal bridge and recently he has been extending out the roof joices to enable him to sit the wall plate on the joices and then cut the rafters etc, he said you can then close the cavity with some insulation board any taughts thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Good carpenter. He is very much on the right track but you must have your Design Certifier provide a detail for him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cyfac wrote: »
    Hi there i know the traditional way has been to close the cavity atop a double leaf block wall with blocks and to then sit the wall plate on top however my carpenter tells me that this creates a cold thermal bridge and recently he has been extending out the roof joices to enable him to sit the wall plate on the joices and then cut the rafters etc, he said you can then close the cavity with some insulation board any taughts thanks in advance

Try not to close it with a block, thats the older/lazy way of dealing with the issue and as mentions, creates a cold bridge right around the house.

As above, get your architect to detail the WP area.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,090 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

using two wall plates has become a standard detail these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    using two wall plates has become a standard detail these days

I've three on mine. One on internal and external leaf joists on top and a third wall plate on top of this half way over the 250mm cavity.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

hexosan wrote: »
    I've three on mine. One on internal and external leaf joists on top and a third wall plate on top of this half way over the 250mm cavity.

Could us show us a detail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

hexosan wrote: »

Could you show us a detail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Here is how I closed our 250mm Cavity. One wall plate on internal and one wall plate external. 60mm Rigid insulation. Your carpenter is clued up....buy him a few pints.

2015-02-14%2017.27.19_zps7gdkorvh.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Here is how I closed our 250mm Cavity. One wall plate on internal and one wall plate external. 60mm Rigid insulation. Your carpenter is clued up....buy him a few pints.

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/Laylah Worried Southerner/Passive%20House/2015-02-14%2017.27.19_zps7gdkorvh.jpg[/IMG]

Why 250mm cavity. Is blocks tied in with same ties only longer or other. Think its time for me to get the new homebuild manual I think. How up to date is the new manual and where can I get it

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

duckcfc wrote: »
    Why 250mm cavity. Is blocks tied in with same ties only longer or other. Think its time for me to get the new homebuild manual I think. How up to date is the new manual and where can I get it

Hi Duckcfc,

Would you have a photo please of how you fixed the rafters to the 2 wall plates please?

I am going to do the same method as you have, looks very good! i have a standard 4" cavity wall, but like this double wall plate. Is the outer leaf wall plate held down with the 90 degree wall plate straps on the external part of the outer leaf?

thanks for your help

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

robclay26 wrote: »
    Hi Duckcfc,

Would you have a photo please of how you fixed the rafters to the 2 wall plates please?

I am going to do the same method as you have, looks very good! i have a standard 4" cavity wall, but like this double wall plate. Is the outer leaf wall plate held down with the 90 degree wall plate straps on the external part of the outer leaf?

thanks for your help
    Ask your structural engineer who is Designing & certifying your build ( if you wish to take to issue with this comment please PM the moderators thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

robclay26 wrote: »
    Hi Duckcfc,

thanks for your help

Why you ask me this, I don't have the 250mm cavity.

Advertisement