Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aluclad windows in damp climate

• 23-03-2015 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We are installing new windows and patio doors. One window supplier advised against aluclad products in favour of aluminium or pvc doors. He said that even though the wooden part is protected from the elements, because there is so much moisture in the air in Ireland, the wooden parts of frames tend to rot. Is this true or is he just scaremongering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Scaremongering....

I had those phone calls myself when I chose a different supplier.

Very pathetic indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭MisseyB

I remember someone on the forum saying that they researched this in America and that there may be an issue. The thread was up about a month ago if you want to look for the person and ask them directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

MisseyB wrote: »
    I remember someone on the forum saying that they researched this in America and that there may be an issue. The thread was up about a month ago if you want to look for the person and ask them directly.

That was me and the evidence was from Washington State on the west coast in a place called Eugene.
    I spent some time there in November and you think its wet and damp here: we have no idea.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057382881

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

MisseyB wrote: »
    I remember someone on the forum saying that they researched this

"Researched" ? The comments had the air of a casual observation.
    As I have noted previously ‘alu-clad’ covers a broad range of window framing constructions. With regard for the potential for rot there are two things I would recommend paying particular attention to;
    That the window is suitable for the prevailing weather in these islands. The UK’s Timber Research and Development Association (TRADA) publish a reference book ‘Wood windows. Designing for high performance’. It recommends that timber windows should be designed to comply with the ‘drained and ventilated’ principle. Many imported windows (and some locally produced ones) are not e.g. the vast bulk of passive house certified windows.
    If the windows are made from moderately/slightly durable timber (such as pine) the preservative treatment should be applied in a manner that will ensure 6mm lateral penetration as recommended by BS 8417 ‘Preservation of wood – Code of practice’ to be confident of a 60 year service life of the timber.
    Keep those two points in mind and you won’t have to worry about rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 responsive

Fatty Pangs reply there was very interesting, I would say a lot of it is down to the quality of the product and the structure you are putting it in. Circumstantial evidence here but I am a property manager and I dread having properties with alu-clad style windows as you almost always get staining at least (which tenants complain about and want costly fixes but dont understand its to do with usage issues etc). If houses were appropriately ventilated and people kept places aired it would not be such a big problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement