Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boru Croí Beag inset stove

• 12-03-2013 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

I have been investigating inset stoves and I am going to get the Boru Croí Beag inset stove.

Topic on inset stoves is all over the plumbing and heating saection but with conflicting opinions.

My house was built 2004 with a 8" clay chimney flue. The croí beag has a 5 " flue.

From researching this best practice appears to be to get a new flexi flue and put this down the whole length of chimney and backfill with vermiculite.

Other people say that this isnt needed and to get an 8 " to 5 " flue adapter and cement this into existing chimney and attach to 5" boru.

Anybody got anything to say on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Stove Man

kopkidda wrote: »
    I have been investigating inset stoves and I am going to get the Boru Croí Beag inset stove.

Topic on inset stoves is all over the plumbing and heating saection but with conflicting opinions.

My house was built 2004 with a 8" clay chimney flue. The croí beag has a 5 " flue.

From researching this best practice appears to be to get a new flexi flue and put this down the whole length of chimney and backfill with vermiculite.

Other people say that this isnt needed and to get an 8 " to 5 " flue adapter and cement this into existing chimney and attach to 5" boru.

Anybody got anything to say on this?

If your chimney pots are in good condition you will be ok with an adapter only

This method is approved in the HETAS stove installation manual and in the stanley and boru installation manuals.

It works perfectly well and for a small stove like the crio beag you will not notice and difference over re-lining the chimney

The chimney lining brigade may be on to talk about building regs/etc but most are selling liners or work for people who sell liners. I also sell liners but only re-line a chimney where there is a problem or am requested to do so.

The crio beag although small actually has a 6" outlet so keep that in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Thanks for reply Stove man

Might have to rethink Croí Beag option as heart only goes out to 280mm from front of this stove as it is a semi inset one.

Ive read that it needs to be at least 300mm from front of heart, is this correct or would the 20mm rally matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Stove Man

Thanks for reply Stove man

Might have to rethink Croí Beag option as heart only goes out to 280mm from front of this stove as it is a semi inset one.

Ive read that it needs to be at least 300mm from front of heart, is this correct or would the 20mm rally matter?

Anything above 250mm is fine, fitted a crio beag today and is about as good an inset as there is available

Anything above 250mm is fine, fitted a crio beag today and is about as good an inset as there is available

Thought the regs were that it had to be at least 300mm, would it not make your house insurance void?

Also have you heard anything about the Boru 400i, think we are verring towards this one.

Have sent you a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

300mm from an open fire. 225mm from a closed fire, i.e. stove.

• Advertisement

shane0007 wrote: »
    300mm from an open fire. 225mm from a closed fire, i.e. stove.

Are you sure about that?everywhere Ive read that it has to be at least 300mm.

Not 100% but fairly sure. Will need to look it up later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

The requirement for hearth is a min of 225mm in front of a closed appliance

Here ya go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭sausagehead

Hi. i'm also looking to put this stove in my cast iron fireplace but i'm wondering how it works regarding faceplates?
    My fireplace is arched and flush up to the surround, can you easily get faceplates to cover the fireplace or does the fireplace have to come out?
    i've seen the boru faceplate for this stove on their site, but its quite deep, i would rather have something flush for a neater look!

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement