Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower trouble, see pic.

Options
  • 03-03-2013 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm hoping someone can help me. The pump in the picture pumps the water to the shower in the en suite but over the last few months the shower stops and starts as if there is an air lock in the system.. So frustrating in fact that I've stopped using the shower altogether, I use the electric one in the main bathroom.

I've had a plumber out to flush the system, cost me €90 only to have the same issue occur again less than a day later! Got him out again, cost me €50 that time but the problem occurs the next day..
    I really want it fixed but I can't afford to keep getting lads out all the time.
    Can anyone help me solve this .. The pump and water stops roughly every 5-10 seconds and can stay off until it kicks back in again ..
    If it can't be fixed I'd consider getting an electric shower in the en suite.. Can a house have 2 electric showers in the one house?? But I'd love to have the existing shower sorted.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If you turn the power off to the pump, then turn the shower on, do you get any flow?

Turn off

Take the shower head off the hose and see if the flow rate is any better.

Then try putting the thermostat to full cold, and full hot. What sort of flow rates do you get in each position.

When the pump stops, do you get any flow at all?

If the pump stops and the shower is still on, is the light on the pump lit?

How hard is your water?

How long has the pump been installed?

Did the plumber disconnect the hoses when he was working on the pump, or just flush the whole system?
    Were any chemicals used to flush the system?

Care here, just in case. When the pump stops pumping, how hot is the body of the motor?

If you go to full hot and full cold on the thermostat when the pump is running, is there a significant difference in the flow rate?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Could be the flow sensor on the pump acting up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Could be the flow sensor on the pump acting up.

Yes, there are 2 on the pump, and I'm not sure if they are either active or both active for the pump to run, if one has failed and the other pipe is low flow because of the thermostat setting, that could be an issue, and from the parts drawing, there are cone filters in both supply lines. Depending on how it was flushed, one or other may still be blocked.

Hoping the tests I suggested may show something.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

The pump may not be your problem, what type of shower do you have, & pic also would be helpfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Cheers everyone , I will answer all questions asked within the next day or so, I will also put up a pic of the shower.
    The pump was installed in 05 and was the shower was put in about 3 years ago with no prom lens until recently. It started off spluttering and over he course of about 5 months has gotten so bad it stops starts every 5 seconds!! When the pump stops the water from the shower head also stops .. The light stays on the pump all the time.

• Advertisement

Hi again. Sorry for delay.
    The pump works fine when the cold tap is on only and it works fine when the hot tap is on. The problem only starts when the two taps are on together.
    The pump doesn't get very hot at all when it's running.
    When the pump kicks off, there is still water flow but not at the usual power as when the pump is running.
    Hope all this makes sense to someone.
    Please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

The pump is probably in your hot press take a snap of that and keep the camera the right way up ;)

moonshadow wrote: »
    The pump is probably in your hot press take a snap of that and keep the camera the right way up ;)

Hi , I took pics of the pump in my first post....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 padraic buckley

it would appear to be flow switch that activates the pump to turn off and on

it would appear to be flow switch that activates the pump to turn off and on

Is that fixable ? Or are you saying that the pump is banjaxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 padraic buckley

Its fixable it d black switch with the cable following it
    On hot and cold pipes at furdest point from wall usually a arrow on them it on the water out it on the bottom of flexable pipes the sensors are not on othet flexable pipes water in that should make easier 4 u 2 identify.

Its fixable it d black switch with the cable following it
    On hot and cold pipes at furdest point from wall usually a arrow on them it on the water out it on the bottom of flexable pipes the sensors are not on othet flexable pipes water in that should make easier 4 u 2 identify.

You have lost me. What am I meant to do with the switch??
    Can anyone out there help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Watermill pumps are discontinued and were notorously problematic, give the Dhower Doctor a call 01 6205657, & they might be able to help you.

Advertisement