Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird outside Oil Boiler firing up by itself

Options
  • 22-01-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I have a Firebird outside Oil Boiler firing up by itself. 3 plumbers and 3 sparkys later and it is still doing it and has cost me a fortune. I have to turn off the mains switch each night before going to bed so that it wont kick in as i came home one day from work and the hot water tank was about to explode it got so hot. There are 2 stats inside the boiler, one is attached to the side wall (it has a reset button) and is set to just over halfway. The other stat is just free standing ( i think this is the frost stat) and it set to just over 45c. Does anyone have a recommended setting for a frost stat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

It sounds like its the frost stat thats bringing on the boiler.
    The frost stat should be set somewhere around 0-4C (They generally appear to cut in when not needed) It wouldnt be uncommon for the frost stat to be set too high, generally they cannot be set as high as 45, are you sure you are looking at the frost stat. some times the froststats are not easily accessible or adjustable.
    Could you post a photo of the 2 stats you have

• Registered Users Posts: 37 twilo

I have attached 2 pics, 1004 i think is the boiler stat, set to 1/2 way and the other pic 1003 is a just a free standing stat set at just over 45c. Is this the frost stat?

twilo wrote: »
    I have attached 2 pics, 1004 i think is the boiler stat, set to 1/2 way and the other pic 1003 is a just a free standing stat set at just over 45c. Is this the frost stat?

yea the first stat is the boiler stat.
    The stat in 1003: is the little copper tube coming from the back of it just hanging/sitting in the air? if so it is most likely wired as a frost stat.
    When you turn this stat I am guessing the burner fires up?
    To protect the boiler you could turn this down to around 10, but this wont protect any pipework outside the boiler unit.

It looks like there are smuts on the stat, the boiler could have a flue leak and/or need a service

Thanks TPM, i had it serviced about 10months ago by a plumber. Think i need to get firebird out to this one. Could that free standing stat be a pipe stat also?

I will need to check the copper tube but i am sure it is connected back into the boiler somewhere. They are definatley not dangling

• Advertisement

Thanks TPM, i had it serviced about 10months ago by a plumber. Think i need to get firebird out to this one. Could that free standing stat be a pipe stat also?

I will need to check the copper tube but i am sure it is connected back into the boiler somewhere. They are definatley not dangling

Any OFTEC registered technician can service it properly for you and do a flue gas analysis. and sort see what the stat is doing and where the frost stat is

the stat could be wired to bring on the circulating pump when the boiler heats up, you can check this by turning the stat and seeing if the burner fires up or if just the pump comes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Hi,i have to service two firebird heatpac boilers.they both have these two stats in them.In one boiler the duel stat is broken and the burner is wired through the stat in picture 1003. in the second boiler the stat in picture attachment 1003 is disconected.My question is the stat in attachment pic 1003 a pump over run stat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Its ok i got it sorted,fitted new duel stats and frost stat

Advertisement