Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patio Doors - Max Size and Weight

• 10-02-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi All -

Have a 3m opening on our self-build that is intended for patio doors.

We had planned with going with two identical sized panels, one of which would slide over the other, leaving a 1.5m opening (likely done in UPVC). However, someone has discussed issues re: the weight that this sliding 1.5m door would create - would you envisage this would be too heavy (especially for a small female)? Or would it be a better idea to go with 2 x fixed 1m glazed panels and a sliding 1m panel?

Thanks in advance (pretty urgent also!)

Regards

T1979

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

tates1979 wrote: »

1. someone has discussed issues re: the weight that this sliding 1.5m door would create
    2. would you envisage this would be too heavy (especially for a small female)?
    3. Or would it be a better idea to go with 2 x fixed 1m glazed panels and a sliding 1m panel?
    1. Who? your architect,the window suppiler, the builder or someone you met in the pub?
    2. i would expect the window manufacturer to provide a door thats fit for purpose.
    3. id trust your architect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

I have two 4m openings consisting of a fixed 2m and sliding 2m section. In triple glazing this can't be done in a PVC frame and has to be wooden or aluminimum.
    The weight issue they speak of isn't the effort it takes to open the door it's the stress the weight of the glass puts on the frame.
    You could easily open a 2m slider with two fingers requiring no real effort at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 lillianho

well yes using aluminum frame reduces weight significantly. You can then slide them using two fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Larry Bee

I hope its ok if I go back to this thread from last year, but it describes exactly what I want to know.

I am going to be going with upvc, as from a cost point of view, aluminium would be prohibitive, as I am having 2x3m openings as described.

Is the "stress the weight of the glass puts on the frame" much greater using upvc? When I look at any sites, they all seem to show lift and slide/aluminium, but can't seem to find a lot re upvc.

Any thoughts on would this be very heavy to open for my (weakling :) ) of a wife, or kids under 10.

thanks
    Larry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

Larry Bee wrote: »
    I hope its ok if I go back to this thread from last year, but it describes exactly what I want to know.

I am going to be going with upvc, as from a cost point of view, aluminium would be prohibitive, as I am having 2x3m openings as described.

Is the "stress the weight of the glass puts on the frame" much greater using upvc? When I look at any sites, they all seem to show lift and slide/aluminium, but can't seem to find a lot re upvc.

Any thoughts on would this be very heavy to open for my (weakling :) ) of a wife, or kids under 10.

thanks
    Larry

Theres a reason you can't find the info on upvc. Go with the alu as you'll only have hassle down the line with upvc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Larry Bee

Thanks for the reply, but if you could expand on it, that would be great.

Saying to go with alu is one thing, but if it is three times the cost, I'm trying to see if its worth it. I understand that aluminium takes quite large sizes and is light and easy to use, but is there a specific size where uPVC fails to work? What kind of hassle down the line are you talking about?

I presume we will be using these doors quite a bit in the summers, but during winters, won't be. A couple of builders I've talked to have recommended just going with the uPVC, but everyone seems to talk about alu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

There is an Austrian manufacturer of high-quality windows and doors that offers a L&S uPVC door option. I have seen the product, it is superior to anything in uPVC that I have seen previously.
    Will send PM.

Advertisement