Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wise to install second hand rads?

Options
  • 11-03-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

New extension, doing as cheaply as possible, a friend has removed rads from her 60's house. They are the perfect size and style. What/How can i check to make sure they will heat well?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

They won't be efficient.
    Get new rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Rads rust from the inside out so you never really know how good or bad they are, they can look perfect and can be almost rusted through.

older style rads will be no where near as efficient as newer ones so with them it will be costing you more to heat your rooms than with newer ones so long term they will be costing you money not saving it.

It can be hard to find the actual heat output of older rads and so in turn its hard to know if they are actually the size that you need.

Doing things cheaply often works out more expensive in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Radiators arent that dear anyway.

Wouldn't anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I wouldn't think it's a good idea- even if you were prepared to flush individual rads to get rid of sludge etc what are the chances of all the bleed valves working correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

You're talking about 50 year old rads OP. I wouldn't fit them in a shed let alone a house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

take the rads,scrap them and put money towards new ones;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

A word of wise to installer:
    There was a case a few years back, if my memory serves me correctly, in or around Athlone. Woman asked plumber to install a 2nd hand radiator to a fairly unused dining room that she got from a neighbour. He did so and got paid for the job. A few weeks later, she called him as the radiator formed a pin hole leak and had leak for several days, destroying her furniture, carpet & decorations. He told her "what are you telling me for, you provided the radiator!" She still blamed him as she thought he fitted it incorrectly somehow and took him to the small claims court.
    Judge awarded the case to the lady, as the installer when accepting the job for payment, deemed himself competent to carry out said works and therefore as a competent person should have known not to install a second hand radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

shane0007 wrote: »
    There was a case a few years back, if my memory serves me correctly, in or around Athlone. Woman asked plumber to install a 2nd hand radiator to a fairly unused dining room that she got from a neighbour. He did so and got paid for the job. A few weeks later, she called him as the radiator formed a pin hole leak and had leak for several days, destroying her furniture, carpet & decorations. He told her "what are you telling me for, you provided the radiator!" She still blamed him as she thought he fitted it incorrectly somehow and took him to the small claims court.
    Judge awarded the case to the lady, as the installer when accepting the job for payment, deemed himself competent to carry out said works and therefore as a competent person should have known not to install a second hand radiator.

And I bet your insurance company wouldnt be long telling you where to go if you tried claiming for the 2nd hand rad you fitted for a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

shane0007 wrote: »

Heard a similar story myself relating to second hand component failure doing the damage.
    Years ago I actually raised the issue with our insurance company on the usage of previously used parts and they were very very clear about it... "If you fit second hand parts (supplied by you or not) during the course of your work and said part(s) fail and cause damage your insurance will NOT cover you."
    In other words, if you fit a new part and it fails causing damage, they sort out the problem and chase the manufacturer for their costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

So.....er....um....i get the feeling...correct me if im wrong......its not a good idea to install 2nd hand rads.

Thanks all for your good advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement