Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left at the altar

Options
  • 24-03-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know someone who was left at the altar or have experienced it themselves?

It hasn't happened to anyone I know personally, but just the thought of it is horrible - what could you possibly say to your best mate after his bride does a runner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

Seems to be mostly the stuff of soap operas. I wonder how much of the money spent on a wedding can be recouped? Not very much I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

What's the craic.....Are ya engaged and panicking? :D

Relax, chances are she wont leave you there with a huge bill and a load of people staring at ya, honest :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I've heard of weddings being called off about 2 days before the event, but never anybody left at the altar - must be horrific!

One of those weddings called off was a relation of ours - she accidentally let off wind in front of him and he was repulsed. We reckoned it was the luckiest f*rt she ever let!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Weddings are gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Does anyone know someone who was left at the altar or have experienced it themselves?

It hasn't happened to anyone I know personally, but just the thought of it is horrible - what could you possibly say to your best mate after his bride does a runner?

You are assuming the man never does a runner. I know someone it happened to, she was at the church he was not. She had a lucky escape, she did not think it at the time but it was a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Weddings are gay.

They are very gay, the happiest day of your life and all that :)

Weddings are gay.

That's when they're called civil ceremonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

In 1996 I was Groomsman at one where it was called off at the altar. She made a no show, her sister came into the sacristy 30 minutes before kick off and told us it was off, so myself and the Best Man stood at the entrance to the church and asked everyone arriving to go home.

It was really the best solution in the long run, although happy with each other I always thought they were getting married for the sake of their parents. Happy to say they are now both married to other people, have kids and as far as I can see they seem to be very happy in their own lives.

And in the early 90's I was supposed to go to one but it was called off the evening before. It was where my then GF was from so I knew virtually nobody there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Weddings are gay.
    Civil partnerships are just as bent.

People always getting left at the alter in Weatherfield. That's about it though really I'd say. Never heard of it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

An old school friend got married 5 years ago, and after the dinner the band came on. One of my mates told me the bride was upstairs screwing another one of our mates while the groom was entertaining his family......turned out to be true, murder at the wedding, myself and my wife left and went home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Weddings are gay.

Well only for the last 2 years. If that

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ROFLcopter wrote: »
    An old school friend got married 5 years ago, and after the dinner the band came on. One of my mates told me the bride was upstairs screwing another one of our mates while the groom was entertaining his family......turned out to be true, murder at the wedding, myself and my wife left and went home.

Complete slapper to be honest! Hope your mate got some beating for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I think if I got cold feet the minute before my wedding I'd just get married and then get an annulment instead cos I'd be scarlet calling off the wedding with everyone waiting in the chuch (and I wouldn't want to make them mad having possibly having splashed out on a new outfit and used up a day of their annual leave for the day). That being said, I don't intend on having a big wedding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

kelle wrote: »
    I've heard of weddings being called off about 2 days before the event, but never anybody left at the altar - must be horrific!

One of those weddings called off was a relation of ours - she accidentally let off wind in front of him and he was repulsed. We reckoned it was the luckiest f*rt she ever let!

if she farted at the altar and thats why he called it off then thats one of the funniest things I've ever read, please let it be that way :pac:

bijapos wrote: »
    In 1996 I was Groomsman at one where it was called off at the altar. She made a no show, her sister came into the sacristy 30 minutes before kick off and told us it was off, so myself and the Best Man stood at the entrance to the church and asked everyone arriving to go home.

It was really the best solution in the long run, although happy with each other I always thought they were getting married for the sake of their parents. Happy to say they are now both married to other people, have kids and as far as I can see they seem to be very happy in their own lives.

True, it's horrible when it happens but in the long run it's for the best as there wouldn't be any second thoughts if the couple were genuinely suited to each other.

krudler wrote: »
    if she farted at the altar and thats why he called it off then thats one of the funniest things I've ever read, please let it be that way :pac:

Sorry, it was about a week before the wedding then he called it off 2 days beforehand. He is a nutcase anyway - she had a lucky escape!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Complete slapper to be honest! Hope your mate got some beating for that!

They had a 2 year old as well, the look of hate and disgust on the brides mothers face was unbelievable. The mate she was screwing had been screwing her for about a year. I haven't seen him since then and I don't ever plan to, the prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I thought to myself nahh that doesn't happen as the disinterested party can get the marriage annulled afterwards like with a Vegas wedding the shortly after.
    That doesn't seem to be the case it seems to be a strenuous process and you have to have a valid reason like being of the "same gender" or "discovering that your partner is a homosexual" ooh or the best one if the other party is impotent or can't consummate the marriage you can get an annulment, jaysus it just seems like you need to go through the courts with a case rather than just saying irreconcilable differences?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/civil_annulment/nullity_of_marriage.html

EDIT: ........ so was looking into this a bit more and not only is it a big whoo haa with solicitors and the courts but some folk are waiting 4-6 years plus so to the comment on the first page I wouldn't just opt for an annulment :pac:
    http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72869&start=0

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

They had a 2 year old as well, the look of hate and disgust on the brides mothers face was unbelievable. The mate she was screwing had been screwing her for about a year. I haven't seen him since then and I don't ever plan to, the prick.

I have a mate like that who tried it on with everyones moth. Im the only one on speaking terms with him out of our original friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I have a mate like that who tried it on with everyones moth. Im the only one on speaking terms with him out of our original friends.

Surely he'd prefer to go for butterflies, not moths, butterflies are so much prettier :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It happened to a woman I went to school with. Her mother was a wannabe socially mobile old cow that would make Hyacinth Bucket look modest, and the daughter wasn't - as might be expected - much better. Anyway, she got her hooks into a fellow from the kind of family that used to be called "gentry" and the big day was planned - huge marquee and everything. I knew him, but not very well. Quite eccentric, but interesting.:)

Anyway, when he was at the alter and the sky pilot asked: "Do you take, yadda, yadda, yadda?" there was a longish pause and then he said: "Actually no.":eek:

Shit hits fan time, for sure, and it was the talk of a big part of Laois for years, but I never found what became of either of them, becasue I spent most of the next few years abroad.;)

• Advertisement

Funny thing about this thread has got me thinking about karma. A girl in work screwed the boss loads of times 7 years ago, but decided she loves her hubby so it had to stop........cue 7 years later and she's been crying her eyes out because she found out he's had a fling himself..?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

My exes sister was due to go to a wedding abroad when it was called off at the last minute as the groom was suffering from bi polar. I don't know if they ever got married

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I do, it does happen not only in soap operas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Xim1

is painful now but maybe is for the best , if the person you are marrying cannot be honest about their feelings is better not to marrry .. marriage is a bit overrated i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

hondasam wrote: »
    You are assuming the man never does a runner. I know someone it happened to, she was at the church he was not. She had a lucky escape, she did not think it at the time but it was a long time ago.

before mobiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I don't know anyone left at the altar, but I know of a guy who waited until his groom's speech at the reception to tell everyone there that he knew the bride had been having an affair in the 2 months preceding the wedding. He dropped that bombshell, then promptly left leaving everyone completely stunned.

I know it sounds far-fetched, but a close friend of mine (who's not the type to make up stories) was there and told me about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Funny thing about this thread has got me thinking about karma. A girl in work screwed the boss loads of times 7 years ago, but decided she loves her hubby so it had to stop........cue 7 years later and she's been crying her eyes out because she found out he's had a fling himself..?!?

karma?

you mean justice i assume

Western interpretation

Many Western cultures have notions similar to karma, as demonstrated in the phrase what goes around comes around.[45] The concepts of reaping what you sow from Galatians 6:7, violence begets violence and live by the sword, die by the sword are Christian expressions similar to karma.[46] Some observers[who?] have compared the action of karma to Western notions of sin and judgment by God or gods, while others understand karma as an inherent principle of the universe without the intervention of any supernatural being. In Hinduism, God does play a role and is seen as a dispenser of karma. (See Karma in Hinduism for more details.) The non-interventionist view is that of Buddhism and Jainism. The secular Western view is that of a deterministic universe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's never happened any wedding that I've attended although one mate did call his off about a week before the event. Cold feet and all that.

I heard of a wedding of the cousin of a mate where the bride (who was the cousin - to clarify) walked into her bridal suite on the night of the reception to find the groom being ridden by one of the groomsmen.:eek: That must have been a sickner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

shancoduff wrote: »
    Seems to be mostly the stuff of soap operas.

like stag parties the night before the wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Weddings Planners are gay.

FYP.

Advertisement