Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High performance Car insurance.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

AXA quoted me €953.93 full-comp on a 1997 Lancer RS Evo IV. Then again I'm disturbingly old and boring. Might be worth giving them a bell, though.

'Nother thing I noticed while I was arsing around - I'm quoted €470 on a 2001 2.5l Saab 9-3, but €530 on a 2l. Goes to show, there's more to these risk calculations of theirs than meets the eye! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bartbanis

jimgoose wrote:
    boring
    jimgoose wrote:
    AXA quoted me €953.93 full-comp on a 1997 Lancer RS Evo IV. Then again I'm disturbingly old and boring. Might be worth giving them a bell, though.
    My daily driver is insured with Axa last few yrs. I did try them first but would not quote like the rest unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Have you hit the brokers around town.

Brosnan, Boyle and golden in mallow given me n old man decent quotes.

Evo owner I know is on www.mitsipieces.com forum, maybe worth a shot joining asking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Did you ring Power insurance as suggested earlier?

• Advertisement

bartbanis wrote: »
    My daily driver is insured with Axa last few yrs. I did try them first but would not quote like the rest unfortunately.

Bugger. Must be your age/NCB. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

2) Classic / vintage insurance was started for people with "classic" cars - Austin's, Datsuns, Rolls Royces etc, ie cars that are not fit for day to day usage (generally speaking) What's happening now is that alot of people that own early to mid 90s import / performance cars think it's a loophole that can be exploited. The classic insurance policy was designed for small engined, low powered (in the main) cars. Jap imports, modified cars etc are not within this bracket therefore the classic insurance is not fit for purpose.

Just to clarify this, does this mean that if I garage my 01 fiesta zs for another 5/6 years it wont roll into the 20 year classic bracket? Just because it doesn't fit their 'definition' of classic?

Colser wrote: »
    Did you ring Power insurance as suggested earlier?

no quote as not quoting under 30! quote is for 29yo!!

edburg wrote: »
    Have you hit the brokers around town.

Brosnan, Boyle and golden in mallow given me n old man decent quotes.

Evo owner I know is on www.mitsipieces.com forum, maybe worth a shot joining asking around.

Tomorrow is another day, I've calmed down so i'll try again tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'll sum up the Irish insurance market, in the space of 7 years I absolutely hate driving and you cannot win no matter what you do.

I started off my driving career on the path most tell you not to go down the high performance route at the time it was a 1.6 Honda Integra (92), SOHC bit high powered for a learner I will admit, but a car is a car in my eyes, I have seen some roppy driving from normal cars in my time than 'high performance' cars, I then moved onto a 1.6 Mivec ZR (98) then moved to a GSR (99) then finally moved onto a Evolution 4 (96), all over 7 years in this time I never got one penalty point, never had a fine and never brought to court and never a car stolen as I was strict on security, blocked the high performance cars in behind another, secure parking in town etc..

I had a NCB of 5/6 years, I was around 23/24 when I finally said funk this, still getting quotes 1700/2000 euros. I dropped down (well went up) to a BMW 520i, got quote 900/1000 euro, finally I am in an absolute stock car by my going, a 1.4 VVTI Toyota Corolla Saloon (00) and was told that it was high performance.

• Advertisement

Is this what we have to look forward to over the next few years of driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Ireland is a horrible country to be a petrolhead

Are there no companies out there that insure limited miles per year for these cars? They do in the UK as far as i'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

TallGlass wrote: »
    I am in an absolute stock car by my going, a 1.4 VVTI Toyota Corolla Saloon (00) and was told that it was high performance.

But they have data to support this assertion! As indeed the have data to support every assertion they make.

Absolutely positively no chance at all that they are talking out their holes and laughing because there's not a lot you can do about it.

Meow dare you even question them!

No, you can't see the data.
    Lolz...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

I just insured my evo 3 with campion for 300 euro..

I just insured my evo 3 with campion for 300 euro..

I tried them today and no joy, told me car was too old. were you an existing customer?

Liberty just quoted me by myself €1102.06 TPFT and with partner €839.65 TPFT!
    I thought I already tried these guys and was turned away. In fact I'm almost positive I was. I've tried so many it's hard to remember them all. Any point trying to haggle with them!!!!????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I thought I already tried these guys and was turned away. In fact I'm almost positive I was. I've tried so many it's hard to remember them all. Any point trying to haggle with them!!!!????

No, just take it quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

I tried them today and no joy, told me car was too old. were you an existing customer?

No I wasn't an existing customer I rang them and asked for a classic policy and they quoted me 300.. you must have a normal car policy though..

No I wasn't an existing customer I rang them and asked for a classic policy and they quoted me 300.. you must have a normal car policy though..

yes, I was looking for a normal policy. That's prob it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

My renewal last year was €863 with axa. They're idea of "haggling" was to knock a whole €30 off and say that was the best they could do. I told the poor lad on the end of the phone he was taking the piss and it would be better for all involved if I just hung up :pac:

Eventually got fully comp cover with 25plus.ie(AIG underwriters) for €494.

Checked quote again with them for the laugh and only up to €520 which I should be able to get down a bit.

The only way to haggle is to make up some BS quote that you got from another insurer and hope they dont call your bluff.

NickDunne wrote: »
    My renewal last year was €863 with axa. They're idea of "haggling" was to knock a whole €30 off and say that was the best they could do. I told the poor lad on the end of the phone he was taking the piss and it would be better for all involved if I just hung up :pac:

Eventually got fully comp cover with 25plus.ie(AIG underwriters) for €494.

Checked quote again with them for the laugh and only up to €520 which I should be able to get down a bit.

The only way to haggle is to make up some BS quote that you got from another insurer and hope they don't call your bluff.

With a 1997 jap evo 4, don't you think they could call my bluff pretty quick?! Anything is worth a try, I do agree! It's a pity these insurance companies don't ask for car details at the beginning before you have to give all other details, save a lot of time and agro!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Same issue as the OP so hope the mods don't mind me cracking this topic open. If not, just move it to a new topic.

The hassle I'm having even getting quotes for the S2000 is unreal. I've had two quotes so far - 3k from Axa, and 1100 from Sullivan Insurances. And that's it! Nobody else even quoting.

29 years old, 5 years NCB and the above is the result. It's ****ing pathetic that this country treats drivers so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd love to get €1100 on my MX5, never mind an S2000!

Advertisement