Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mystery of the Squeaking noise

Options
  • 05-07-2015 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals.
    I wonder if anybody can help or think of possible reasons for my situation. So to elaborate, i have a Toyota corolla 02 that Squeaks. The squeaking sounds like its coming from the front right (driver side) of the car. The car only squeaks when the car is accelerating forward. No squeaks when reversing, rolling, coasting or stationary and revving the car.
    i would describe the noise as a low volume, high pitch squeaking (out of 8 people i showed, 5 could hear it). I think it sounds like something metal lightly rubbing off something else metal at speed or something like that.

I checked the fan belt and thats not it. All brake pads are fine. I jacked up the car and checked the wheel incase it was a bearing or something but that not it either. kinda running out of ideas. any ideas or has anybody had an issue like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Sorry not to be of help, but it can be hard to diagnose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Had an Avensis with a worn engine mount once that squeaked, same problem as you, nothing wrong with the running gear. Mechanic mate spotted when i told him about squeaking when accelerating. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dan fnuts

Sorry not to be of help, but it can be hard to diagnose!!

Hahaha would you believe when i asked my Dad about the squeaking he start telling me about this advert.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Dan fnuts wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals.
    I wonder if anybody can help or think of possible reasons for my situation. So to elaborate, i have a Toyota corolla 02 that Squeaks. The squeaking sounds like its coming from the front right (driver side) of the car. The car only squeaks when the car is accelerating forward. No squeaks when reversing, rolling, coasting or stationary and revving the car.
    i would describe the noise as a low volume, high pitch squeaking (out of 8 people i showed, 5 could hear it). I think it sounds like something metal lightly rubbing off something else metal at speed or something like that.

I checked the fan belt and thats not it. All brake pads are fine. I jacked up the car and checked the wheel incase it was a bearing or something but that not it either. kinda running out of ideas. any ideas or has anybody had an issue like this before?

Have you had anything done to the front recently?

I had a similar noise on the front of the avensis. The split pin holding in the driveshaft nut was making the noise, sounded like a sticking caliper.

Edwardius wrote: »
    Have you had anything done to the front recently?

no nothing

• Advertisement

Had an Avensis with a worn engine mount once that squeaked, same problem as you, nothing wrong with the running gear. Mechanic mate spotted when i told him about squeaking when accelerating. Good luck!

thanks. i will look into this

if anybody else has any ideas please let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

No idea but I'd love to hear what it is. Herself can hear a similar noise but it's beyond my hearing range. Description sounds very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Get your engine and gearbox mounts checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

No idea but I'd love to hear what it is. Herself can hear a similar noise but it's beyond my hearing range. Description sounds very similar.

Spent a bit of time last night hunting this. In my case it is one or more heatshields rubbing off each other where they overlap, or off the body of the car. Don't know why this resonance has suddenly appeared.

Noise got worse and could be forced to happen by physically pushing the engine a little, and hence the exhaust.

• Advertisement
Advertisement