Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AA car insurance start ???

Options
  • 02-06-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Just got my new car there today, I insured it today with the AA and paid the money in full (950 for a 21 year old male, not bad). There was an option saying "when do you want this policy to start", I clicked "Today (02-06-2015). Even though I have no documents, they will arrive in the post in a few days, am I ok to drive the car today/tomorrow as I have paid the full price?

Just don't want to get done by the guards if I would get stopped! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Did you receive any confirmation on email? If so print it out just in case you get pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It is an offence to not display disc on your window.

Saying this I have never had any problems but there is always 1 out there that may do you or try.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It is an offence to not display disc on your window.

That's incorrect.
    It's not an offence not to display a disc within first 10 days after obtaining the policy.

You are only required to display a disc after 10 days from commencement of your policy.

Just got my new car there today, I insured it today with the AA and paid the money in full (950 for a 21 year old male, not bad). There was an option saying "when do you want this policy to start", I clicked "Today (02-06-2015). Even though I have no documents, they will arrive in the post in a few days, am I ok to drive the car today/tomorrow as I have paid the full price?

Just don't want to get done by the guards if I would get stopped! Thanks.

If you are sure that your insurer actually insured you, then lack of documents is absolutely no problem for the first 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CiniO wrote: »
    That's incorrect.
    It's not an offence not to display a disc within first 10 days after obtaining the policy.

You are only required to display a disc after 10 days from commencement of your policy.

Look up the laws...

It is an offence as I said you must display NCT valid and in date along with insurance and Tax.

You should not drive the vehicle on a public highway/road unless all are displayed if applicable.

If you are insured as I said it should be fine unless you act the maggot or really p1ss of a Guard.

• Advertisement

Look up the laws...

It is an offence as I said you must display NCT valid and in date along with insurance and Tax.

You should not drive the vehicle on a public highway/road unless all are displayed if applicable.

If you are insured as I said it should be fine unless you act the maggot or really p1ss of a Guard.

I don't need to look up the laws. I know what I'm saying.
    If you claim there is a law stating you need to display insurance disc right away since purchase of policy, then please show it to me.
    But I can guarantee you, that you won't find it so no need to look up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Look up the laws...

*Ahem*
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/si/0227.html
    "5. (1) A person shall not use a vehicle in a public place, after the expiration of a period of ten days commencing on the date of authentication of the certificate of insurance, unless the vehicle carries an insurance disc in the manner specified in sub-article (2) of this article.

Tax and NCT discs (if applicable) are still required immediately but an insurance disc is not needed in the first 10 days of the policy. However the OP should not assume the policy has been authenticated unless he gets confirmation (usually by way of email) that the policy is accepted.

Advertisement