Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should people on social welfare be allowed to bet/have satellite tv?

Options
  • 02-04-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Should people on social welfare be allowed to bet/have satellite TV? I'm sick of seeing the amount of people mostly men outside the bookies when I'm going to get lunch during my break at work and on my way home. Its from the bookies to the pub for a lot of them every weekday spending my hard earned money indirectly, I'm sure its the same in every town with nothing else to do. Its a complete joke, and it sickens me working all day 5 days a week.
    Also why should people on social welfare have the privilege of having satellite TV? I'm not able to afford it, and its not like they have the basic packages, they have the lot. Its actually shocking when you think about it. Its not a necessity that you can't live without. I'm sick of paying taxes to fund their TV subscriptions. Everyone I know who are on the dole have satellite TV, but I can't because I work, its a great little country isn't it?
    And don't get me started on alcohol. It shows they mess of a country we live in, and it would only happen in this great little country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I think there are quite a lot of factors to account for, when considering that judgement.
    From an economical and cultural perspective for a start.

Economically, it benefits the government coffers, to have a certian number or more unemployed. When selling national assets to corporations and inviting new business in from other countries. Workers are a currency and the country with the lowest price, versus quality of work(depending on the business), gets the deal.
    The fact that you can't afford satellite tv, I would say is mostly down to the way the economy is being directed purposefully.

From the governments perspective, culturally speaking, it has been tradition that politicians and their supporters get rich from being in a certain role. Instead of doing a certain role.
    This pervades down through the generations and families of politicians. The results are a disrupted economy trying to bare the weight of these people, drowning in public money.

Economically speaking for the unemployed, they are under the thumb of a corrupt government, like everyone else. But with the added bonus, that they know at any time, they could lose their only support framework and be kicked out onto the street. They are often held ransom to this fact.
    As house prices go up and rent allowance goes down, it is becoming more and more difficult for people to survive.
    I think a massive portion of unemployed who are renting and are elligable for rent allowance, pay rent out of their social welfare as well(which is not accounted for and is yet another scam between landlords unions and social welfare), just to cover having a roof over their heads.

Culturally the irish have a well known tradition of dealing with their problems through alcohol and socializing in the local meet up(the pub).
    This could be seen as a care free life. It could also be seen as the only thing left in the world that helps forget the misery and hopelessness.
    The gambling I can actually understand. Desperate people take desperate measures. That is more of an addiction and coping behaviour I would say.
    When I have been really desparate, I have often thought about betting on a political election in the US( A topic I understand well), if that is even possible.
    The reason was the dream that I might have some extra money to buy food. I know this is the case for a lot of people.
    The ones you see at the bookies and at the pubs do not represent the majority and they don't look that well off to me. To think that all unemployed should be punished, because a small number do a certain thing in their free time ( and because they are seen where others are not), is a little unfair to those who are genuinely suffering from day to day and are just not outside to be seen.
    You could be coming home from work to a ghost town and it would not be visibly noticeable.

After living allover the country and earnign a decent wage and suffering unemployment and health issues related to previous work... i have learned to try not to jump the gun until i have walked in those shoes.
    Since we all have varying struggles mentally, socially, economically, it is very difficult to walk in anyone elses shoes.
    I wouldn't presume to know your situation or fully understand it. But I have worked for many years and understand the frustrations that can come with that.
    If you are on minimum wage i do have sympathy. Those people are the ones that fuel these political interests and since everyone needs work, those positions will be filled if you don't take them.
    The wise Irish don't take them on principle. The immigrants wouldn't have built up enough RSI for social welfare and as applying citizens they will take all those minium wage jobs, as more and more Irish go onto social support.
    Then the irish will immigrate as they fall off the ladder and act as cheap labour for other countries to exploit, while putting other countries out of work and making them immigrate. There is a global plan of course :)

So erm..thats my 2 cents on the economy and cultural side.
    I don't think it's much use looking at individual cases, if they do not cover the whole topic.

Not everyone works Monday to Friday you know.
    Last week I was off Mon, Tues, wed & Thurs.

Sky basically give away their TV now if you bargain with them

If anyone has time or patience, this lecture explains everything in detail.
    Just found it today and thought it would apply here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUcH7c4PdpQ&list=PLxFXHDWfUqqLsV6qcykXI8BGIKH2Zx21h
    This is part 3 where a lot of those details relevant here, are covered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Just Be Yourself

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Should people on social welfare be allowed to bet/have satellite TV? I'm sick of seeing the amount of people mostly men outside the bookies when I'm going to get lunch during my break at work and on my way home. Its from the bookies to the pub for a lot of them every weekday spending my hard earned money indirectly, I'm sure its the same in every town with nothing else to do. Its a complete joke, and it sickens me working all day 5 days a week.
    Also why should people on social welfare have the privilege of having satellite TV? I'm not able to afford it, and its not like they have the basic packages, they have the lot. Its actually shocking when you think about it. Its not a necessity that you can't live without. I'm sick of paying taxes to fund their TV subscriptions. Everyone I know who are on the dole have satellite TV, but I can't because I work, its a great little country isn't it?
    And don't get me started on alcohol. It shows they mess of a country we live in, and it would only happen in this great little country.

Hell no. Replace the dole with food/petrol stamps I say. You want to throwaway your money in the bookies and pub? Get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I doubt that food stamps and petrol stamps are a realistic way of tackling unemployment in this country. Somebody who is unemployed who has no money is not going to be able to pay their electricity bill or pay their car tax, so that doesn't make an awful lot of sense. At a glance, a system of food stamps and petrol stamps might seem like a convenient way to demean unemployed people but it doesn't resolve the unemployment problem.

Also, are we talking about all unemployed people, or people who are long-term unemployed (for a year or more) or are we talking about people who have never worked at all?

Look at this chart:

ireland-unemployment-rate.png?s=ieuert

A lot of people have been unemployed in this country recently. Emigration affects this figure but immigration reduces the net population change. However, the unemployment rate has been falling steadily and is now 10%. Full employment is considered to have been achieved when a rate of 3-5 percent has been reached.

If we are talking about the long term unemployment rate (unemployed more than one year) then that rate has fallen from a record high of 9.6% in January 2012 to the current low of 6.6%.

I don't see the need to carry out a witch-hunt against all unemployed people just because a claim is made that some unemployed people visit bookies.

If we are complaining about the welfare state in Ireland, benefits here are not as comprehensive as they are in France, for example. See here:
    The amount of the daily allowance is based on the recipient's earnings prior to the loss of employment and falls into one of the following 4 brackets:75% of gross salary for earnings below 1,143 €,
    A minimum allowance of 28.58 € per day for earnings between 1,143 € and 1,251 €,
    40.4% of daily gross salary plus a fixed amount of 11.72 € per day for a salary between 1,251 € and 2,118 €,
    57% of daily gross salary for a salary between 2,118 € and 12,680 €

From the same source:
    The amount and duration of benefit payments depend upon the period during which the claimant has contributed to the scheme and total contributions paid.

So in France, unemployment benefits are much better than they are here. However, there is a limit to the duration of benefits.

Maybe that could be an idea which is worth considering.

• Advertisement

I think the criteria set out in the means testing, has had a negative impact on the unemployed.
    Peoples savings are taken into account and the flat rate is effected by this.
    Having to give up all security before receiving any assistance(which is then more like money so you don't die), is a solid way to trap unemployed people, keeping them reliant on welfare to survive.

There are many other factors effecting the unemployed and the self employed, which makes it difficult to get back into employment or earning.
    Many are left with a choice of getting trapped in minimum wage jobs, which most likely have no contract or security over 3 months long, or try to reskill and find a better paid job or self employ.

The legislation passed by each government seems to progressively make it more and more difficult to gain meaningful employment, with security. While at the same time making it easier to gain meaningless employment, without any security.
    This is the situation of the prolateriat mentioned in the video links I posted above.
    They are a class that I think is being created for the purposes of large corporations, seeking cheap labour and high returns(from the same societies they employ).

Joining the european union, has allowed for many countries within that union, to import workers, to allow minimum wage to stay low and feed the large corporations who donate to the corporate government.

The mainstream medias explanation of this very thing, might be in the form of a proclamation, that they have created more jobs by bringing big companies to Irleand to "invest" in our economy.

The term "Rat Race" seems fitting for the prolateriat.
    Constantly searching for the cheese in the maze of meaningless jobs, used to further outside interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You sound as if you begrudge people on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I don't hate all people that are on the dole..I just hate people who live on the dole and don't bother to find work. Also i detest people who claim any kind of benefit there is- like they get the disability allowance if they have a broken fingernail.It shocking that this country let's people live on benefits and have a better lifestyle than people who work. Its the people who have 'nothing' who get everything- like the communion allowance or whatever it was, that's what I pay my taxes for?. We will try to skimp on the clothes and venue (at home), while the family on benefits will have a designer suite and a lavish venue..you call that fair?
    I'm surprised theres not a new car allowance for people on social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I don't hate all people that are on the dole..I just hate people who live on the dole and don't bother to find work. Also i detest people who claim any kind of benefit there is- like they get the disability allowance if they have a broken fingernail.It shocking that this country let's people live on benefits and have a better lifestyle than people who work. Its the people who have 'nothing' who get everything- like the communion allowance or whatever it was, that's what I pay my taxes for?

my father had a stroke and lost a lot of function in his left arm and leg, and guess what he gets? no job seekers allowance/benefit(whatever it's called) because he's technically unfit to work, and less than 20 euro a week of a disability allowance. he's someone who has worked all his life. it's obviously not easy to claim for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

I don't hate all people that are on the dole..I just hate people who live on the dole and don't bother to find work. Also i detest people who claim any kind of benefit there is- like they get the disability allowance if they have a broken fingernail.It shocking that this country let's people live on benefits and have a better lifestyle than people who work. Its the people who have 'nothing' who get everything- like the communion allowance or whatever it was, that's what I pay my taxes for?. We will try to skimp on the clothes and venue (at home), while the family on benefits will have a designer suite and a lavish venue..you call that fair?
    I'm surprised theres not a new car allowance for people on social welfare?[/

quote]

If you cant afford sky and you work then you dont actually pay a lot of tax. Certainly not enough to feel aggrieved by. Why dont you bring a packed lunch to work instead of eating out? Maybe all the money you save will enable you to get sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

You seem to have a major problem with people on social welfare.
    My friend has a serious illness and her oh is her care between them they get just over 400e a week they also have 3 teenagers to keep.
    What you are saying is that the shouldn't have the luxery of satilite tv. Well they have but they have the very lowest package.Believe me they didnt ask to be put in this situation but they have to cope and make the best of it.
    Don't forget op your life can change in the blink of an eye. So please stop being so begrugging to people less well of than yourself

alroley wrote: »
    my father had a stroke and lost a lot of function in his left arm and leg, and guess what he gets? no job seekers allowance/benefit(whatever it's called) because he's technically unfit to work, and less than 20 euro a week of a disability allowance. he's someone who has worked all his life. it's obviously not easy to claim for some people.

20E iis an insult to give anyone but then again you are lucky if op had anytiing to do with it you would get nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

So none of you see anything at all wrong with the communion allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

There's a communion allowance - seriously?

Edit - I just googled it and it was scrapped?

What if one of those on social welfare was making a couple of million, by milking the system illegally, would you be upset? what lengths would you go to in order to get justice?
    That is what the politicians and their friends are doing right now in Ireland.
    Living off the system as civil servants, selling out our country, not even to the highest bidder, just through friends and backhanders.
    You could sack all those crooks , give every citizen in Ireland a living wage, for simply being a citizen and still have some left over. That is just cutting these peoples wages.
    Our water infastructure would then have it's money back. Well, it's nearly all gone now anyway. I'm not even sure how much of the pention fund is left after they raided it.

There are much bigger fish to fry. People on the bottom of the ladder are not to blame for our economic situation. We are allvictims and the aim of government propaganda is to make sure the victims keepattacking each other. That way they can continue to lower minimum wages, keep the dole numbers up(increase employment potential for outside "investment") and get their state pention, when they pass the baton on to the next party to be bribed.
    Government will always be run like this, until the majority of people become educated as to the reality of their situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Television is not a luxury, it is a household utility.

Now that they have gotten rid of analogue, everyone has to have cable or a satellite to get even the two state channels.

OP if you can't afford Satellite, SKY has some packages for E15 a month. Woul that be pushing it?

OP is of the opinion that they are keeping the whole country on social welfare. You say you cant afford satalite tv.
    If I was you I would take a close look at where you are spending your hard earned cash.
    You will say morgage bills ect, but everyone has bills even people on welfare
    OP can you honestly say there are none of your friends or family on welfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭I swindled the NSA

Should people on social welfare be allowed to bet/have satellite TV? I'm sick of paying taxes to fund their TV subscriptions..

You do realise that satellite TV and subscription TV are not necessarily the same thing?

And No I don't presume to dictate to others what they should be allowed to spend their money on. Do you propose including pensioners, disabled people and child benefit recipients in your grand scheme or are there just particular categories of social welfare recipient you have an issue with ?
    zeffabelli wrote: »
    everyone has to have cable or a satellite to get even the two state channels.
    Saorview ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Who is going to stop them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is there a reason that betting and satellite TV subscriptions are the vices the OP has decided to target? What about alcohol? Surely it'd be preferable to have your social welfare recipients indoors watching a film than out on the tear causing mayhem, assuming that the "scrounger" image is accurate which I doubt.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is there a reason that betting and satellite TV subscriptions are the vices the OP has decided to target? What about alcohol? Surely it'd be preferable to have your social welfare recipients indoors watching a film than out on the tear causing mayhem, assuming that the "scrounger" image is accurate which I doubt.

Perhaps "middle Ireland" should be provided with free SKY !

Maybe then the doctors, politicians, national broadcasters, and others who thought they were property developers, might stick to there real professions.

And we may not have the country bankrupt again!

If TV was not invented, we would probably have all our resources now. And living like Norway on a standard living wage.
    You would have to tie me to a chair and force my eyes open, to get me to watch that brainwashing bull they call broadcast TV.
    I found it sad that someone working as a proletariat slave would be jealous of a lower class citizen who isn't as concerned about being brainwashed and goes to socialise at the bookies or pub instead.
    Imagine that! A prisoner asking for more bars on the window!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Perhaps "middle Ireland" should be provided with free SKY !

Maybe then the doctors, politicians, national broadcasters, and others who thought they were property developers, might stick to there real professions.

And we may not have the country bankrupt again!
    Torakx wrote: »
    If TV was not invented, we would probably have all our resources now. And living like Norway on a standard living wage.
    You would have to tie me to a chair and force my eyes open, to get me to watch that brainwashing bull they call broadcast TV.
    I found it sad that someone working as a proletariat slave would be jealous of a lower class citizen who isn't as concerned about being brainwashed and goes to socialise at the bookies or pub instead.
    Imagine that! A prisoner asking for more bars on the window!

What are ye trying to say here? TV only becomes detrimental to one's well being through over-indulgence.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Personally, I think they shouldn't be allowed have kids. What next? Gay Marriage? Oh, wait.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

OP,

Don't be a fool, OP. Quit your job and live like the king you know social welfare living can afford you.

What are ye trying to say here? TV only becomes detrimental to one's well being through over-indulgence.

I'm saying that TV is used to control popular opinion. To manufacture opinions, making them popular. Or simply to distract from important issues.
    Having someone choose your programming(please note that word carefully) is dangerous for society, when it is on a mass scale.
    Broadcast tell-a-vision will not end or phase out, until the internet can be better controlled. NetFlix is a good start to that process, where entertainment is concerned. However, news channels are not so easily replaced online. RT(Russia Today) are doing a good job of that process in the west.

My thoughts are probably a far stretch from the issues the OP would be considering. I put that down to lack of experience and the forms of education received up till now. And encourage all to abandon TV and search for their own programming regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

They should probably be made to wear stars of identification as well

Torakx wrote: »
    I'm saying that TV is used to control popular opinion. To manufacture opinions, making them popular. Or simply to distract from important issues.
    Having someone choose your programming(please note that word carefully) is dangerous for society, when it is on a mass scale.
    Broadcast tell-a-vision will not end or phase out, until the internet can be better controlled. NetFlix is a good start to that process, where entertainment is concerned. However, news channels are not so easily replaced online. RT(Russia Today) are doing a good job of that process in the west.

My thoughts are probably a far stretch from the issues the OP would be considering. I put that down to lack of experience and the forms of education received up till now. And encourage all to abandon TV and search for their own programming regime.

TV is only being used to control opinion insofar as newspapers or the internet are being used to the same end. It's unfair to claim that TV itself is a form of programming a population. Is the BBC news biased? Absolutely. BBC Weather? I doubt it. TV can be an extremely powerful tool for self improvement and education. There is a plethora of excellent documentaries for example about the world around us. If anything, people need to be taught how to think critically from a younger age. It sounds basic but I don't think it is. It's important to consider various viewpoints and what agendas the content producers might have.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Television is not a luxury, it is a household utility.

Now that they have gotten rid of analogue, everyone has to have cable or a satellite to get even the two state channels.

OP if you can't afford Satellite, SKY has some packages for E15 a month. Woul that be pushing it?

Utility my arse its a complete luxury and the op is correct there is a lot on the dole and couldn't be bothered working when there's the poor unlucky lads who have been made redundant etc and can't get any work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sick world

Funniest thing I've read all year,if your ****ty job cannot get satellite TV get a better job.

Mod Note:
    Please read Humanities charter for future posts.

Advertisement