Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swapping SD card in new phone

Options
  • 18-09-2014 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi. I have a new Samsung S4mini. SD card is only 2G. I was wondering about swapping my old SD card from last phone which has 8G. Will that work?

Also, I tried to copy the images from the new card to my laptop in the event that I do change but won't allow me to do so, says that there are no images on the card. There's not much but still. Some of the images I copied off another old phone so not sure if that's anything to do with it. I basically want to get all my photos in the one place and hopefully format the 8G card for the new phone and start over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Since I only see one question

yes it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

Great but just want to save the stuff on new card before taking it out. Anyone know why I can't get those pics on the laptop??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

paddles wrote: »
    Great but just want to save the stuff on new card before taking it out. Anyone know why I can't get those pics on the laptop??

Turn off phone
    Take out card
    Insert into laptop
    Copy to folder
    Take out card
    Put in new card
    Copy contents to new card
    take out card
    put in phone
    turn phone back on

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

paddles wrote: »

Most likely they're not on the SD card, but on your phone's internal memory.
    There's a choice in the settings of the camera app.
    After you've put the 8GB in, make sure it's saving pictures to the card, but take a look now and see if you can find the setting.
    You might find you can still see all your pictures even with the SD card out which will reassure you that they're not on the card you're taking away.
    That would explain why the laptop can't find them on the card.
    Have you plugged the laptop into the phone with a USB cable?

Follow @keithclancy's advice and you'll be grand.
    Copy everything from the 2GB card to a computer, and then copy them all back to the 8GB card.

If you want to be sure you have your pictures somewhere else, you could just launch google+ on the phone. It will ask do you want to back up your pictures to google, and if you give it enough time it'll copy them up (over wifi!) and they'll be available with your new SD card, or even from a new phone after you log in to it.

Advertisement