Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Hosting technical questions

Options
  • 08-05-2014 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

There are two issues regarding shared hosting with Apache and I'm just wondering how the "professionals" handle it.

1) While you can limit any customer's access to their own subdirectory in FTP, by jailing them or whatever, how do you stop them from uploading a PHP script that can access the entire server? i.e. presumably it's one instance of Apache which needs to have access to all customers...

2) How are SSL certs handled? In the modern times, with new fangled browsers, it's possible to have multiple SSL certs on one server and the browser can tell the difference, but I'm constantly coming across this issue with IE 8 in Windows XP where it can't handle servers with multiple certs. Since SSL certs and Shared Hosting have been around a lot longer than IE 9, what is the correct way to deal with this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mod note: I can't quite see a gap between this topic and the line in the forum charter, but it hasn't technically crossed it just yet; but please don't mention any specific company when talking about technical solutions to the problem?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

komodosp wrote: »
    1) While you can limit any customer's access to their own subdirectory in FTP, by jailing them or whatever, how do you stop them from uploading a PHP script that can access the entire server? i.e. presumably it's one instance of Apache which needs to have access to all customers...
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/639666/how-do-i-limit-php-apps-to-their-own-directories-and-their-own-php-ini
    2) How are SSL certs handled? In the modern times, with new fangled browsers, it's possible to have multiple SSL certs on one server and the browser can tell the difference, but I'm constantly coming across this issue with IE 8 in Windows XP where it can't handle servers with multiple certs. Since SSL certs and Shared Hosting have been around a lot longer than IE 9, what is the correct way to deal with this situation?

That's a tough problem, and I don't think there's a bulletproof answer to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

komodosp wrote: »

Assign multiple IP addresses, in Apache 1 IP can be used with 1 SSL cert.

Advertisement