Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working as a tutor in programming

Options
  • 04-05-2014 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I read this forum, but this is my first time posting here. I've been wondering lately whether there is any demand for tutors in programming, and I was thinking that maybe someone might be able to steer me in the right direction.

After completing a graduate diploma in IT, I worked as a developer for ten years in a fair range of activities (server-side code, desktop applications, iPhone apps) and languages (Java, C, C++/Qt, Objective C, Perl, JavaScript, among others). For reasons of work-life balance, I'm no longer interested in working as a developer, but I was wondering whether there is much call for tuition in programming apart from the obvious example of a lecturer in a university. I've been doing some informal tuition with college students lately, and I've really enjoyed it. I have previously worked informally as a tutor in general IT, maths, science and music, and it seems clear to me that I enjoy tutoring people more than I enjoyed development.

Does anyone know of any institutions that might hire tutors? I noticed that FÁS used to advertise for people with the FETAC qualification of Train the Trainer to fill Java tutor roles. I have that qualification, but I haven't seen any such advertisements since, and I think FÁS is defunct now.

Any advice or pointers gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Sorry to bump. Anyone have any pointers? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Do you have any training or education certifications? If you do SOLAS might hire you, or you could try some of the IT training companies.

If you're interested in training rather than academic education then this cert is a good one to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Thanks very much!

Train the Trainer (FETAC level 56) is the only training qualification I have. I'd be willing to do others, provided they didn't mean a huge commitment of time and money.

Will check out that cert.

Advertisement