Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What technologies do you use as a professional developer?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭partyboy690

Sparks wrote: »
    Which is a big part of why the "senior" bit in the title isn't worth what it should be. This is a good read on what the title should mean, but doesn't.
    That's a pretty good read actually, I don't think it should be judged on a timescale as well. You can see it with people who is going to be a senior engineer or tech lead type and who isn't. It all boils down to those that do, the people who just work and do their job and those who influence. Those who influence makes decisions that influence the development process and those are the senior type.

It's like when you see an opportunity for a role "...3 years C++ experience required" that's not a good indicator of how good someone is with a technology, why not let the 1 year experience guy prove himself against the 3 years experience guy. I've seen it myself, using char* when std::string is clearly the better option, raw pointers with malloc/calloc when a simple shared_ptr would have done the job, allocating arrays on the heap when a vector is a much superior option. He may have been doing it 3 years but he's been doing it 3 years badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I would say my most commonly used tool is Google. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭partyboy690

Actuall scratch what I said, mine is probably Google too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

StackOverflow would be mine :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

jester77 wrote: »
    StackOverflow would be mine :D

Googling stackoverflow <question>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Java, Eclipse, Notepad++, Cygwin, Windows 7, Ant, JUnit, Google, Spotify :P

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

My setup at work is a Linux box and iMac next to each other (linked via Synergy).

For IDEs:

Vim+ssh = web development
    Android Studio = android development
    XCode = iOS development

We use git for everything.

The programming languages I've used over the years: C, C++, Objective C, Java, Actionscript, Javascript, Ruby, Perl, PHP and Python.

I've been thinking about switching all future server glue to Go... but haven't done much yet other than some basic messing around with the language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Stack 1:
    Python
    PyCharm
    Django
    PostgreSQL
    RabbitMQ
    MongoDB

Stack 2:
    Visual Studio
    C#/.NET 4
    MSSQL
    WCF
    WPF
    WiX and other various tools.

Needless to say. Stack 1 is my preferred choice (About 4x development velocity)

Perforce for SCM (FML)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Was working on a cross platform library til recently, nowadays I'm in Visual Studio land doing Windows client dev (still C++). Throw in Jenkins, SVN, Notepad++ ( :D ), python, bit of this, dash of that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I thought I'm in a bad situation when I had to ask IT to install wacom drivers for me (I have not had enough access right to do it). :eek:

Say it ain't so! Thankfully my workplace is pretty relaxed about that whole area (well what IT don't know, doesn't hurt right?!).

For instance I have Steam installed on my laptop, as long as I'm not running Civ5 during work time nobody cares.

Advertisement