Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Poker a Sport?

Options
  • 06-03-2012 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭

It's on Sky Sports atm.. There's a lad wearing a bomber jacket and sunglasses playing.

lol.. he looks like such a plonker sat there under the sweltering heat from the studio lights. I'd be surprised if he doesn't die before finishing the next hand.

This **** should not be considered to be a sport.. seriously, wtf is wrong with people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems similar to darts being on sky sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

its a card game
    sport-no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

But he has a high card stud with a triple flop and a finger up his ar$e. Yeah, I agree. Quite thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

So no its not a sport, more a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

chin_grin wrote: »
    But he has a high card stud with a triple flop and a finger up his ar$e. Yeah, I agree. Quite thick.
    re.'a finger up his arse'.
    is that poker talk,or is a finger really stuck up there,assume its his own god help him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

its a game..like snakes and ladders

Not a chance.

Now cob tossing, that's a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

44leto wrote: »
    Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

So no its not a sport, more a game.

Sport doesn't have to be physical.

Poker is not a sport, it's gambling. And that's coming from the mouth of a poker player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

No. Poker is a head wrecker of a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

OctavarIan wrote: »

I'm fairly sure that they do have to be physical, can you name any that aren't?

• Advertisement

Poker is not a sport, it's gambling. And that's coming from the mouth of a poker player.
    I suppose, Chess can be exhausting and very physically demanding, believe it or not, the top masters all have a regiment of gym time and fitness training, the same with racing drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if they start a fight
    it becomes a sport then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

idunnoshur wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that that they do have to be physical, can you name any that aren't?

snooker :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

No, it's a game.

A great game at that but definitely not a sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

well in fairnes it's more suited to sky sports then "16 and pregnant " is to MTV, or "ice road truckers " is to the history channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

idunnoshur wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that they do have to be physical, can you name any that aren't?

Chess. E-Sports. Mid to low tier vehicle racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Battleship and Jenga are the only true sports

Seachmall wrote: »
    No, it's a game.

A great game at that but definitely not a sport.

Till I get drunk then I lose my shirt, I sometimes play with my brothers and cousins, its always the same, I win and win then start betting on the blind and believing the alcohol that I will get the royal flush this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Seems similar to darts being on sky sports.

How. Dare. You.

I'd like to see Jonny Sexton drink 17 pints and then try and land a conversion from the touchline. Sure, Phil Taylor might not be able to run 100m in 4 seconds, or dribble around 10 players and slot the ball in the bottom corner, but he is an athlete dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Scruffles wrote: »
    re.'a finger up his arse'.
    is that poker talk,or is a finger really stuck up there,assume its his own god help him.

I'm not sure! I really wish it was though as it would make watching it more interesting. I don't play or watch it so I haven't a clue what the hell I was on about more of a play on the terms......... Like that bit in Bill Baileys stand up when he's on about dentists and their own lingo. I could link the youtube vid but I'm too lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

It's on Sky Sports atm.. There's a lad wearing a bomber jacket and sunglasses playing.

lol.. he looks like such a plonker sat there under the sweltering heat from the studio lights. I'd be surprised if he doesn't die before finishing the next hand.

This **** should not be considered to be a sport.. seriously, wtf is wrong with people?

See the guy in the white t-shirt? Luke Schwartz - An absolute knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Any plans for Sky Sports to start covering the Annual World Wife Carrying Championships?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Play 14 hours of poker 3 days in a row (as I have) and then tell me its not physically exerting!! :) I know a lot of pros and while some of them are slobs, the majority are fit and will spent time in a gym when not playing, specifically to be fit enough to play.

All that said, I personally wouldnt call it a "sport", I would call it a game.

I wouldnt call it gambling, because its a game of partial skill and partial information so while it has elements of luck, it isnt like roulette or dice. Additionally I use "Gambling" to refer to games of chance where you are against the odds (ie: likely to lose over any long period).... thats not necessarily true of poker.

"I dont gamble, but the people who sit with me do!" Stu Ungar, 3 time world champion.

Jennifer Tilly has a huge rack it has to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

Chess. E-Sports. Mid to low tier vehicle racing.

Chess is mist definitely not a sport, I've played enough of it (I was the best in my school years ago until I started smoking, I gave it up so I could smoke during my breaks in Mondays and Thursdays).
    E- sports? Are they played on a computer?
    I agree with you on mud race driving though.
    theteal wrote: »

snooker :confused:

It is a sport, there's a lot of walking and stretching involved.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Degag wrote: »
    Having played against the lady, I can tell you it is highly distracting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

44leto wrote: »
    I suppose, Chess can be exhausting and very physically demanding, believe it or not, the top masters all have a regiment of gym time and fitness training, the same with racing drivers.

It is unbelievably exhausting. You lose concentration for a second and you've lost.

DeVore wrote: »
    Having played against the lady, I can tell you it is highly distracting. :)
    Hehe i'm sure it was. Am a Kara Scott fan myself though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Degag wrote: »

I would disappoint her so God damn hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

How come Boards.ie doesn't have a poker 'home game'?

Pokerstars.com will facilitate it.

Advertisement