Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Poker a Sport?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Not sure if I'd call it a sport but some people who make big money in the game deserve serious respect for their skills and determination.

Take for instance Randy "nanonoko" Lew.He plays up to 24 tables of mid to high stakes online poker simultaneously and has made millions of dollars in the process.His winrate is extremely consistent.The amount of concentration and high level thinking to do this is truly amazing and playing for hours at this rate must be both mentally and physically exhausting!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Poker? I barely know her! :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

It's not really a sport. It's more a war. It's a war mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

How come Boards.ie doesn't have a poker 'home game'?

Pokerstars.com will facilitate it.

There used to be many many Boards poker games. The poker forum was THE irish poker forum.

But then a load of... stuff..... happened and now the whole community have moved on! The poker forum here is all but dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

If poker is a sport, its female equivalent.. Bingo, will also have to be a sport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    If poker is a sport, its female equivalent.. Bingo, will also have to be a sport

Not so.

Good poker players are skilled at the game. Bad poker players lose their money to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Its akin to Chess - a mental sport. Does all sport have to be physical? Is it better to be able to throw something far than to master someone intellectually? What is sport?

Warper wrote: »
    Its akin to Chess - a mental sport. Does all sport have to be physical? Is it better to be able to throw something far than to master someone intellectually? What is sport?

I'd say sport = Physical

Game = Mental

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Not so.

Good poker players are skilled at the game. Bad poker players lose their money to them.

true, there's a little bit of decision power in poker while there's none in bingo. Still, two games with random draws where success depends entirely on what cards or numbers your opponents have.. Enter probability theory (exit me because it drives me nuts)

true, there's a little bit of decision power in poker while there's none in bingo. Still, two games with random draws where success depends entirely on what cards or numbers your opponents have.. Enter probability theory (exit me because it drives me nuts)

You're entirely under playing how important decision making is. it's the most important thing. It's all about maths, odds, probability, stack sizes, yours and your opponents, position, table image, again yours and your opponents, playing styles, playing against the man mentally..............

it's a very complex game. it's easy to learn to play yeah, but it takes a LONG TIME to become good at it. Anyone who doesn't understand just what it takes to become a poker player has never tried it. And those who rely on it being a game of just random draws are the ones the good players love to see sitting down at their table ;)

In fact, this year Poker was added to the World Mind Games. A variation whereby players sitting in particular seats get dealt the same hand as the person in their equivilant seat at different tables (For example: The guy sitting in Seat 8 at Table C will have the same hand as the guy sitting in Seat 8 on Table A). The luck element is removed as players are scored on how better they played the hand than their counter parts.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The luck element is removed as players are scored on how better they played the hand than their counter parts.

Luck is removed in traditional poker in the long run too.

Wait... that seems like a daft game because players will..

1. be up against different opponents
    2. have different styles TAG v LAG for example
    3. Might have different chip counts or bank rolls
    4. have skill measured in the short term

:confused:

Luck is removed in traditional poker in the long run too.

Wait... that seems like a daft game because players will..

1. be up against different opponents
    2. have different styles TAG v LAG for example
    3. Might have different chip counts or bank rolls
    4. have skill measured in the short term

:confused:

The captain of the team was the proprietor of the club I play in. He explained it all on the forum for the club here

Apologies if this doesn't show up withouth registration.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Apologies if this doesn't show up withouth registration.

Just read the thread and it seems like a strange and complicated concept.

I'm guessing it didn't take off? Haven't seen it on the TV and I watch a fair bit of poker.

Just read the thread and it seems like a strange and complicated concept.

I'm guessing it didn't take off? Haven't seen it on the TV and I watch a fair bit of poker.

December was the first time it was tried and the event was non-televised.

A good way of showing the skill involved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

no, its on the list with golf and darts, Id nearly stick pool/snooker on there aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Is on-line Monopoly a game or a sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭GamesDontSuck

I play poker. I enjoy playing poker. Its not a sport tho. Its a game. A mental/thinking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

DeVore wrote: »
    Having played against the lady, I can tell you it is highly distracting. :)

Did you pok'er?

Did you pok'ere?

They had some fun........ until the flop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Degag wrote: »
    Jennifer Tilly has a huge rack it has to be said.

She has a top pair alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You haven't played much poker have you? Theres a reason the same faces show up regularly at final tables in big tournaments.

Can't think of many professional bingo players either!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trevor Kent

As the great Doyle Brunnson said "Poker tournaments are a lottery, its just the good players hold more tickets than everyone else"
    So there is chance, luck involved but if your good you will win more often than the average Joe Soap.

As for it being a sport......na, although it is exhausting mentaly

Advertisement