Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emigration question...

• 07-03-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I've been listening to all the news stories on the radio and TV and reading all the threads about emigrating here and one thing has really struck me....

If all these people are out of work and saddled with debt, where the hell are they getting the money to move lock, stock and barrel to Canada or Australia :confused:

Myself and my partner would love to emigrate, but we live on our weekly wages, have no savings and could never afford the moving costs.

To those who have emigrated, how did you afford to do so... (Sorry about the missing question marks, my laptop's fecked :o)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

I suppose some people saved a few pound for a rainy day...then it rained....heavily, and they fcuked off ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Speaking from my own experience, I wouldn't have been able to emigrate had it not been for my mother's financial support.

I don't know how it is for others but from my friends, it's about 50/50 between savings and parental support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I don't know how it is for others but from my friends, it's about 50/50 between savings and parental support.

Well that's us fecked - we have neither :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Most emigrants(thanks to Zanu FF) would be young, they probably never had a job in the first place to rack up such debts after leaving school/college. Obvious source of finance for emigration is the parents and send money back home when they get jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

It can be done if you really want to(not that any REALLY wants to but needs must.)Parents are usually willing to help their kids better their propects. Save what little you have in the credit union,get a loan and shag off(not ideal or particularly honest,but if ye get work you can send money back) meself I've been scrimping every last penny from my dole and whatever few days work I've picked up and am nearly ready to make the leap into the great unknown! Good luck to anyone that try's their hand abroad,we're all gonna need it out there.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Sell all your stuff that you won't need and save as much as you can in the meantime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I've always said that if you have the money to emigrate you were never too bad off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Travel up north and commit a crime.

Then you'll be extradited. (Free emigration ;))

Problem solved. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

yeah so you're losing 5k a year and you have 5k left and it costs 5k to emigrate

do you:
    a. stay here and lose the last of what you had saved on nothing but disappointment and job interviews
    b. drink it all
    c. get the **** out of the place to an actual job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Dean09 wrote: »
    Sell all your stuff that you won't need and save as much as you can in the meantime.

This is literally what I done. I got a work visa, sold my car and left. I only went with 3k at the time and that was years ago now. I was young, relatively debt free and single so it was fairly easy for me to just leave if I'm honest.

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I've always said that if you have the money to emigrate you were never too bad off.

Yeah, this is what I don't get. A ticket to either Canada or Australia would cost a fortune, let alone moving a young family out with you like we'd have to.

Taking a loan out is another option, I suppose, but say it all goes belly up - you'll just have more debt on your back in the long run.

Perhaps emigration is best left to the young singles with nothing to lose.

Yeah, this is what I don't get. A ticket to either Canada or Australia would cost a fortune, let alone moving a young family out with you like we'd have to.

Taking a loan out is another option, I suppose, but say it all goes belly up - you'll just have more debt on your back in the long run.

Perhaps emigration is best left to the young singles with nothing to lose.

I'd imagine if you asked for a loan to emigrate the bank word buy a straight jacket and send you straight to the institution whilst laughing.

The only real people in the Position to emigrate would be people aged around 25,the ones recently graduated or have a trade and have happened to hang onto a job to get a little money.

However one year work permits just require the price for flights however,i'd imagine that's the route many take.Not to mention Illegals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'm not broke. I've scrimped and saved for a year. I'm just sick of the constant negativity, the lack of work, the lack of hope, the lack of opportunity, and I'm not hanging around to wait forever and a day for it to turn. I think it will take another decade before we see tangible improvements, it's almost half that already and we're still in free fall really. I'll be ****ed if I'm hanging around for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I'd imagine if you asked for a loan to emigrate the bank word buy a straight jacket and send you straight to the institution whilst laughing.

The only real people in the Position to emigrate would be people aged around 25,the ones recently graduated or have a trade and have happened to hang onto a job to get a little money.

However one year work permits just require the price for flights however,i'd imagine that's the route many take.Not to mention Illegals.

You don't tell them you're emigrating:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

When I lost my job I saw it coming months down the line as the company was going into liquidation. I decided I would start saving and then go traveling when the job finished up. I traveled for about 6 months and found a job in Australia where I have stayed since.

booboo88 wrote: »
    You don't tell them you're emigrating:rolleyes:

How would you get a loan without a job? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

God... wrote: »
    This is literally what I done. I got a work visa, sold my car and left. I only went with 3k at the time and that was years ago now. I was young, relatively debt free and single so it was fairly easy for me to just leave if I'm honest.

You were well off!!

I headed off to Germany in the early 80s with £90, a rucksack and no place to stay. We met a chap in the Irish Pub who let us sleep on his floor and within a few days had got work with accommodation.

Then in the mid-80s headed off to London with £50 (times had gotten harder), a suitcase and the promise of a room in a stranger's house and had a job within a couple of days.

It generally works out when you only have yourself to see to. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I didn't have dependants but if the circumstances were right and I had the money I'd take them like a flash so they'd have a chance of a decent future somewhere else.

This is not true at all for Australia anyway.

It generally works out when you only have yourself to see to. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I didn't have dependants but if the circumstances were right and I had the money I'd take them like a flash so they'd have a chance of a decent future somewhere else.

This is what we desperately want for the children too - a better chance at a better future. We just don't have the means to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

What's the usual trend? People have a job lined up or do they just travel out to Australia/Canada and then try and get a job out there?

If they do have a job lined up what sites do people use?

This is speaking from someone who's about to graduate, had no luck with 30+ job applications and soon to be unemployed so emigration is a consideration for me at the minute :cool:

• Advertisement

Doc wrote: »
    This is not true at all for Australia anyway.

well the fee's are what,300 or something?

What's the usual trend? People have a job lined up or do they just travel out to Australia/Canada and then try and get a job out there?

If they do have a job lined up what sites do people use?

This is speaking from someone who's about to graduate, had no luck with 30+ job applications and soon to be unemployed so emigration is a consideration for me at the minute :cool:

You need to have a job lined up really,unless you have around $10000 and qualify for residency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭creeper1

I wouldn't call it "emmigrating" but I spent four years in Korea.

I had savings since I am single and live a meager lifestyle.

Plus my employer paid for the flight ticket and apartment that I lived in.

Do you have a degree in anything? Look into TEFL and Korea if you do.

But yeah, I get your point. If you are living hand to mouth you are basically trapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

You were well off!!

I headed off to Germany in the early 80s with £90, a rucksack and no place to stay. We met a chap in the Irish Pub who let us sleep on his floor and within a few days had got work with accommodation.

Then in the mid-80s headed off to London with £50 (times had gotten harder), a suitcase and the promise of a room in a stranger's house and had a job within a couple of days.

Well congratulations you won the pissing contest anyway :pac:

All jokes a side I'd agree with the last bit it generally does all seem to work out when you only have yourself to look after.

• I'm saving up to emigrate. Well, I suppose I already have because I'm living in London (got a full scholarship for postgrad study and found a job right after), but I really want to go elsewhere. I'm making very little money and living in a very expensive city, but I just save all I can. Packed lunch every day, take teabags to work, hardly ever eat out, never go to the cinema/to gigs/to the gym. I buy most of my food in Aldi, go to the student hairdressing academy for my haircuts and buy all my clothes in charity shops. This is the price to pay if you want to save enough to emigrate. I'd enjoy my life here much more I went out all the time, but I couldn't deal with living paycheck to paycheck like I used to in Ireland.

creeper1 wrote: »

Plus my employer paid for the flight ticket and apartment that I lived in.

Do you have a degree in anything? Look into TEFL and Korea if you do.

But yeah, I get your point. If you are living hand to mouth you are basically trapped.

I have looked into TEFL. I know someone who did it for a year in Hong Kong and loved it. I found one in Thailand which looks good. I expect Korea is great, it's somewhere I haven't really considered. What would you recommend about Korea?

well the fee's are what,300 or something?

No one of the requirements of your visa is that you can prove that you have access to $5000 Aus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

My situation was probably similar to a lot of other peoples storys. Had no money, no job, no hope and a lot of dark thoughts. So I asked my Dad for a loan of 3k euro and booked myself a one way ticket to Oz. Been here just over a year now, and have never once regreted the choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭creeper1

I have looked into TEFL. I know someone who did it for a year in Hong Kong and loved it. I found one in Thailand which looks good. I expect Korea is great, it's somewhere I haven't really considered. What would you recommend about Korea?

A few things

- It is easy to get a job and zero experience required for a lot of openings.
    - The money is good. With flights, accomodation and severance factored in you are making about £18k sterling equivalent.
    - Developed country with a big expat community.
    - A degree is needed but it can be in anything. Any decent job in Hong Kong and I'm almost sure you must be a fully qualified teacher.

These things are discussed to death here where I also post.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewforum.php?f=3

Word of warning on that forum though is that some people will try to put you off to limit competition for themselves for jobs. Don't listen to them.

• Advertisement

Doc wrote: »
    No one of the requirements of your visa is that you can prove that you have access to $5000 Aus.

hardly for a sponsored work permit..

creeper1 wrote: »
    A few things

- It is easy to get a job and zero experience required for a lot of openings.
    - The money is good. With flights, accomodation and severance factored in you are making about £18k sterling equivalent.
    - Developed country with a big expat community.
    - A degree is needed but it can be in anything. Any decent job in Hong Kong and I'm almost sure you must be a fully qualified teacher.

These things are discussed to death here where I also post.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewforum.php?f=3

Word of warning on that forum though is that some people will try to put you off to limit competition for themselves for jobs. Don't listen to them.

Thanks for your help and advice. I will look more into it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

No one's going to give you a job when you live 5000 miles away and they've never met you! Most people go on aholiday visa and get hooked up with everything over there and then go for PR, etc,etc. And for the holiday visa you need 5 grand aussie dollars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

God... wrote: »
    Well congratulations you won the pissing contest anyway :pac:

I'm thrilled to have won something at long last and to have beaten God into the bargain makes it even better. I'll be expecting my prize in the post. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I've been listening to all the news stories on the radio and TV and reading all the threads about emigrating here and one thing has really struck me....

If all these people are out of work and saddled with debt, where the hell are they getting the money to move lock, stock and barrel to Canada or Australia :confused:

Myself and my partner would love to emigrate, but we live on our weekly wages, have no savings and could never afford the moving costs.

To those who have emigrated, how did you afford to do so... (Sorry about the missing question marks, my laptop's fecked :o)

Moved to the US in mid 90's. I did have family and friends there but not in the city or state that I chose to move to. I was pretty much on my own from Day One. My father let me put the plane ticket on his credit card with the understanding that it was the first thing to be paid off when I got settled. It was.

My sister (also in the US) sent me a check for $1,000 which covered the deposit and first months rent on the studio apt that I found after a week of living in a cheap motel. It also covered the deposits on getting my electricity, cable TV and land line phone services turned on.

I got a job straight away (in a gift shop selling cheap tat to tourists) that I got paid weekly for, and had the opportunity to do lots of overtime. There was no extended job hunt for a job in my precise field, or long training periods, or month long wait for my first pay check. That made a BIG difference.

I bought a TV, a microwave, a sofa that pulled out to a bed, and a table and chairs at a Rent-A-Center store where you pay it all off weekly over a year. It cost double what you would if you walked in off the street and paid cash for it. But as I could not afford to, I had no choice but to just suck it up.

A co worker took me to a US discount chain called Big A Lots where I fitted out my apt with sheets, towels, pots and pans, cutlery etc etc for under $50.

I worked all the hours that God sent. Within 2 months, I had paid my dad and sister back, had a couple of grand emergency money in the bank and was already saving up to get driving lessons and buy a car.

It was very hard and very lonely at first, but I worked very, very hard as I knew that I had no one to fall back on if it all went pear shaped. My sister and fathers assistance were on a once off basis. That instilled a great work ethic and sense of responsibility in me. I worked hard and saved hard and lived a fairly frugal existence for the first year. There were few Irish where I lived, so what money I earned went into the bank and not out for boozing sessions with fellow ex pats where we whinged about hard we had it.

At the end of my first year, I had a car, an even better job (Americans really know how to reward people with a good work ethic,) an even better apt, even better furniture and the price of a holiday back home in my pocket, even though I started out with pretty much nothing. It can be done, and done successfully and done on a shoestring, as long as you do your research, you do your homework on likely expenses, you are prepared to work VERY, VERY hard and and live a pretty basic initial existence when you get to the new home of your choice. If you expect to make a go of it by waltzing into a cushy 9-5 job as soon as you get off the plane, or if you expect to have all the comforts of home awaiting you from the get go, then you can pretty much forget about it.

If you and your partner are in full time employment and have 2 steady incomes, surely there are areas where you could cut back in (less nights out with the lads, selling your current car and getting a cheaper one, leave your current apt and get a cheaper one, no more eating out etc etc) that would free up some money for plane fare & additional set up funds, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I know of a few companies in Canada that will sort out your work visa and pay for your flights once you land there, I was offered a position with one company but I have held off hoping to get something better here.
    But with my hours getting cut in work I might end up hopping on the next flight to Canada.

• Advertisement

A sponsored working visa is not the type of visa that most people first come over here on as it is very difficult to gain sponsorship from a company when not in the country. Most people traveling to Australia are coming on what is called a working holiday visa which entitles you to live in Australia for 1 year and work for up to 6 months for any company (you have to change companies after 6 months). If you do 3 months regional work (usually farm work but other jobs qualify in regional areas) you can apply for a second working holiday visa which entitles you to a 2nd year in the country. One of the requirements of a working holiday Visa is that you have access to $5000. People will often arrive on the WHV and then having worked for a company for 6 months be offered sponsorship by the company. (This is the route I and many of my friends took.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

On average there is only about 2500-3000 people emigrating to Australia per year, last year was the highest in a long time a total of 3700 Irish people migrated to Australia.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attac...5&d=1316075371

Most Irish people now confuse emigration with Working Holiday Visa, its as if the word holiday has been scrubbed from the Irish Dictionary and replaced with emigration. Its just a holiday visa that you maybe can do a bit of work on.

A 457 sponsored visa is not emigration either, its only a temporary work permit lose you job and you have 28 days to pack your shit and leave the country. Although you could try and plead with immigration to let you stay because after all you told all your friends and family you had emigrated, but they will probably just laugh at you and remind you to close the door on your way out.

The Visa cost tells the tale.

WHV €217
    Sponsored visa €270
    Migrant visa €2500+

Advertisement