Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riding without a helmet

Options
  • 01-08-2008 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Just spent the day here in sunny Turkey riding a rental bike. Locals here just dont bother with helmets and the cops dont seem to mind either. Must say it was a very liberating experience just riding along with a pair of sunnies on to protect the eyes from wind. Just wondering has anyone else done this on holidays and how they found it....

And before the health & safety brigade jump in Im in a very rural part of Turkey, saw less than 10 cars all day and the roads were quite good. Theres no way Id consider doing likewise in a busy city or town.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Only ever done it offroad, and even then I didnt feel safe. I like my lid, I feel naked on the bike without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Just curious... Why should the number of cars you saw influence how safe or not it is to wear a lid.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Did it on Corfu some years back on a rented out FS1I Yam 50 took it handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

MrPudding wrote: »
    Just curious... Why should the number of cars you saw influence how safe or not it is to wear a lid.

MrP

Agreed. And I imagine the thing you have to worry about most in rural Turkey is the state of the roads. And there's the risk of wildlife/farm animals jumping out on front of you.

No lid = russian roulette....and you're bound to lose sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I also feel naked without a helmet. Would simply never do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I also feel naked without a helmet. Would simply never do it.
    MrPudding wrote: »

MrP

Agreed, and agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

did the same in crete. Very enjoyable but as with most good things theres a trade off..i.e. u crash u die.

but yeah its nice scootin round without the lid, shame about the death thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

just couldn't imagine riding without a lid tbh. whatever about a t-shirt and trackie bottoms,the worst you might need is a skin graft but no lid = DEATH imo. i reckon it's complacency to a degree. you drive around every day and you wonder why you even need a lid cause you never have had a crash/spill. all it takes is one gob****e to change everything.

i've been to florida a few times and i still stare in disbelief at all the harley/chopper riders over there with just a bandana on their head or one of them german style tin hats.:rolleyes:

how much of a prat must you be

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RATM wrote: »
    Locals here just dont bother with helmets and the cops dont seem to mind either
    Is it a legal requirement there?

I think it's a bit weird that in some US states there is a huge emphasis on speed, seatbelts etc. but it is perfectly legal to ride a bike wearing just a pair of shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

how much of a prat must you be

Your first post here. If that's going to be your level of contribution to this forum, I'd rather you didn't post at all. That's a warning by the way...

Oryx wrote: »
    I like my lid, I feel naked on the bike without it.

Likewise.

unkel wrote: »
    Your first post here. If that's going to be your level of contribution to this forum, I'd rather you didn't post at all. That's a warning by the way...

riding his motorbike without a helmet. its his fault that insurance is expensive.

he is an utter twat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Noboby wears helmets outside the cities in Thailand either and everyone is on bikes. If you are cought you get warned once or twice then you get fined the equivalent of €4. You can rent bikes for €3/day.

I wore one 95% of the time but once or twice I did go without and know it was stupid. I cycle a bit here at home but would never go without a helmet in Ireland.

I enjoyed the mopeds so much (125cc) I am thinking of getting a bike and doind an A licence. (By the way you don't even need a drivers licence to rent cars of bikes in Thailand).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i love riding with no lid

feels brilliant

wouldn't like to come off tho

spose that coming off even at a slow speed could do yer face a lot of damage

that said cyclists dio it every day

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

riding his motorbike without a helmet. its his fault that insurance is expensive.

he is an utter twat

I warned you before, now you're banned

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I used to live in Cyprus. There you had to wear a lid on the motorways but not in urban areas. There are a lot of places that rent bikes to the tourists and you had to ask if you wanted a lid. If you did ask for one you got a funny look and they'd bring one out with about 2 years worth of dust on it. If you were lucky you got a lid with an inner lining and a chin strap. That was 8 years ago so dont know if it is still the same now.

Personally I wouldn't be happy on the open road without one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

he is an utter twat

Unk, whatever about the twat part, Paddy's spot on about the insurance.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think it's a bit weird that in some US states there is a huge emphasis on speed, seatbelts etc. but it is perfectly legal to ride a bike wearing just a pair of shorts.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    Paddy's spot on about the insurance.
    Apparently the insurance industry in the States is very vocal in supporting motorcyclist rights to not wear helmets. It seems that they like it, and it actually makes financial sense. You have an accident on your bike at almost any speed with no lid and you die. Nice and simple. If you are wearing a helmet things are slightly more complicated. You can have an accident and live with not problems. Again, fairly simple. On the other hand you could have an accident, in which you would have died with no helmet, and survive but he very badly injured. So, for example. Drive A hit rider A who is not wearing a helmet. Driver A is 100% responsible and pays out to the widow, payout is based on projected earning and so forth but it is a figure that is agreed and paid, case closed. Driver B hit rider B. Rider B is wearing a lid and survives but is severely injured. Driver B is 100% responsible and his insurance company has to pay out. They will have to pay the initial medical bill which could be huge, ongoing medical bills and also money to cover the fact that the rider may never work again. All in all this has the potential to be much more costly than if the rider died.

MrP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I would also feel naked not wearing a helmut. Get one of those "hat" type helmuts, it feels just as liberating.

I going to assume that you were were no protective gear of any kind too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

he is an utter twat

it was in turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No helmet = closed coffin.

Not fair on the cops, paramedics or family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Er, No, Paddy's not right about insurance.
    No lid = illegal = no insurance payouts.

Albiet that fact CAN be argued to an extent (ala, biker hits car with no lid on, kills himself, car driver needs to cash in on fully comp/uninsured driver insurance to get the car repaired), let's also bare in mind that he was in Turkey. Turkish insurance woes might be better off on a Turkish forum, where you'd probably be told off for giving a bad opinion on something which is so commonplace there.

Aside from all that, I've driven once or twice on private road without a helmet, and looking back on it it's not really something I'm too proud of doing. A friend of mine was driving on the same road a small while back, wearing only a tshirt and a haircut, having not a lot of riding experience. Hit a curb and crashed the bike, ended up sandpapering his chin and cheek. He stopped sliding around 3ft away from a stainless steel pole. Definitely a situation where a helmet would have been very welcome.

Not wearing a helmet is stupid and selfish, but for the sake of the original topic - yes, it's fun. But I bet meth is too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I once drove a DT80 the length of Duncannon beach while completely naked. It was difficult to change gears without boots and the rear brake lever hurt my foot when I pressed it, but otherwise it was, eh, liberating. I looked back at one stage and the wind whipped my sunglasses off so I was totally devoid of protection. I never laughed so much on a bike and although it was over twenty years ago wonder why I haven't kept up the habit. I must try it on my Transalp at the weekend....

OP - people in full protective gear die every day off bikes, enjoy your biking and take all of the sensible precautions you deem necessary. Occasionally riding without a helmet is like smoking the occasional cigarette - the chances are it won't kill you!

'cptr

Advertisement