Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God of War Ascension

• 19-04-2012 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

New god of war title has being revealed as ascension , not 4 .. Its a prequel to the trilogy which makes no sense to me cause i thought chains of olympus was a prequel.. So sony decided to make a prequel game of a prequel
    Seems like milking to me , they should of just left it alone after three, why we need another kratos story is beyond me
    Sony reaching hard to find our moneys , im dissapointed to say the least..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Bit disappointed that its a prequel, but then I guess there aren't really many places to go after 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Would have like to see them move on from Kartos and Greek mythology to Roman or even Ceiltic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I would have liked someone trying to kill Kratos, considering all the death and destruction he caused. It would be an interesting twist on the formula as well imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im curious about how much ret-conning theyre gonna do from what we've already been told through the games.

And on a side note, did anyone else think the oul one saying "God of War *dramatic pause* Ascension" at the end of that was completely unnecessary :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As long as I get to kill things I don't mind. After God of War 1 the story was absolutely atrocious and Kratos is one of the most idiotic and unlikeable protagonists of every game. In GoW2 were we actually supposed to feel sorry for him because as far as I could tell he acted like a complete bellend and got his just desserts only to have the mother of all tantrums. What an absolute cock.

But if it's fun I'll play it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

God of War is always fun with some fantastic set pieces (the Titan battles in particular)

I'm just disappointed at the lack of gameplay. I don't need to see a announcement for teaser for a trailer for a game. Skip the first two steps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So before he started on Ares and co, who did he go after? I have the GoW collection volume 2 at home to play. I'm guessing whichever gods or titans he didn't kill in the 3 main games, he killed in the PSP games. Unless this one is going to be similar to Spartan Total Warrior and be more earth armies than anything else

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As long as I get to kill things I don't mind. After God of War 1 the story was absolutely atrocious and Kratos is one of the most idiotic and unlikeable protagonists of every game. In GoW2 were we actually supposed to feel sorry for him because as far as I could tell he acted like a complete bellend and got his just desserts only to have the mother of all tantrums. What an absolute cock.

But if it's fun I'll play it!

its nice to be a complete dickhead in games sometimes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The only God of War game I didn't think was entirely overrated was Ghost of Sparta (never played CoO), which was a surprisingly focused game that played to the series' strengths while not overstaying its welcome or trying to distract from the lack of depth or variety with over-indulgent setpieces.

So therefore the idea of a prequel does not automatically fill me with fear. But as a franchise I still think it's entirely disposable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

its nice to be a complete dickhead in games sometimes

There's being a complete dickhead in a game (Dungeon Keeper being a fine examples) and then there's playing a whining little **** that got his bottom spanked by Zeus for being bold and then threw his toys out of the pram, the only difference between this whiny little **** and Kratos was that when Kratos has a tantrum, things die. There should at least be a shred of player empathy for the character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There's being a complete dickhead in a game (Dungeon Keeper being a fine examples) and then there's playing a whining little **** that got his bottom spanked by Zeus for being bold and then threw his toys out of the pram, the only difference between this whiny little **** and Kratos was that when Kratos has a tantrum, things die. There should at least be a shred of player empathy for the character.

Tell him that to his face...

He can't hear me through the TV screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

417.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Oh good it's not just me then, I've hardly even touched the series just because I immediately thought he was a total douche. :p

He can't hear me through the TV screen.

I doubt thats stopped any of us shouting at the screen before

I doubt thats stopped any of us shouting at the screen before

Yeah, it has :pac:

Yeah, it has :pac:

You sir are a liar :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I wish they made these games multi-platform.

I wish they made these games multi-platform.

Theyre made by Sonys own studio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Kratos is a boss lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I always find it funny when people complain about Kratos being a dick and constantly shouting. It's not like he's God of Bunnies and Flowers. :)
    But to be honest, I understand the story so far to be "Wife and daughter killed and ashes stuck to him. And because of that he went after Ares. from there he got bored being a God, interfered in something, got kicked out and wasn't happy about that and so wanted revenge on the big boss. And kill the titans for the hell of it"

So not like I'm heavily invested. Because to me they're just fun hack and slash games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Tbh I never cared about the God of War storyline. Just enjoyed the gameplay. Therefore I don't care if this is a prequel or whatever, just happy there's another GoW coming.

Theyre made by Sonys own studio

I understand this, but they could make a lot more money if they sold rights to microsoft or nintendo. Imagine a world where these companies worked together. Sure they could release on Playstation but what about a year later when people on playstation stopped buying, sell the rights to the other companies and blamo new sales revenues.
    Its not like to happen but still it would be pretty sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What ever happened about the story of Krotos' brother who was locked in hell? Or was that a fake trailer? Or am I misremembering? Or was that a dream?

[EDIT]Oh, never mind that was the plot to Ghost of Sparta[/EDIT]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

cant wait, prob my fav series ever in gaming bar call of duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Nikky_Bellic

Can't help but feel Sony and Santa Monica Studios regret their choice to
    Kill Kratos in God of War 3
    and since the franchise makes too much money they simply cant stop making more. So why not make a prequel to a prequel (Urgh :o) I imagine they feel its too risky to introduce a new main character too.

ALSO cant help but feel the choice to return to the Greek Mytholgy/Kratos universe is due to the recent big box office revenues of Clash of the titans 1 and 2 ;) which funny enough "borrow" so much from the god of war games :pac:

Can't help but feel Sony and Santa Monica Studios regret their choice to
    Kill Kratos in God of War 3
    and since the franchise makes too much money they simply cant stop making more. So why not make a prequel to a prequel (Urgh :o) I imagine they feel its too risky to introduce a new main character too.
    Id rewatch that ending if I were you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Nikky_Bellic

Id rewatch that ending if I were you :P

oh ;)
    its been a while since i played the game. think i played and completed it when it came out two years ago... question is why not continue then?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I understand this, but they could make a lot more money if they sold rights to microsoft or nintendo. Imagine a world where these companies worked together. Sure they could release on Playstation but what about a year later when people on playstation stopped buying, sell the rights to the other companies and blamo new sales revenues.
    Its not like to happen but still it would be pretty sweet.

Not likely, they would make way more money just selling their own hardware to people who have to if they want to play this game. :pac: Plus on top of that you have the whole corporate image thing, you have several great I.P.'s that people associate with your product, why whore it out?

• Advertisement

NinjaK wrote: »
    cant wait, prob my fav series ever in gaming bar call of duty.

LOL :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,206 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I always find it funny when people complain about Kratos being a dick and constantly shouting. It's not like he's God of Bunnies and Flowers. :)
    But to be honest, I understand the story so far to be "Wife and daughter killed and ashes stuck to him. And because of that he went after Ares. from there he got bored being a God, interfered in something, got kicked out and wasn't happy about that and so wanted revenge on the big boss. And kill the titans for the hell of it"

So not like I'm heavily invested. Because to me they're just fun hack and slash games.

I actually quite liked the story. But it's a bit more complicated than "he got bored being a God, interfered in something, got kicked out and wasn't happy about that". Zeus was his father and the Fates told Zeus that his son would overthrow him, just like Zeus overthrew his father Cronos and the rest of the Titans. That's why Cronos used to eat any male sons he had, to prevent it. But Zeus survived, freed his brothers and overthrew the Titans.

Zeus found out Kratos would overthrow him (he didn't initially know Kratos was his son), so killed him. But Kratos survived and then tried to kill Zeus in revenge.

They're fun hack & slash games, but I actually really enjoyed the whole story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Penn wrote: »
    They're fun hack & slash games

They really are. The story is crazy, but the gameplay is fun, that's definitely something they got right. I started at GoW 3, and absolutely loved it, despite how batsh*t bonkers it is!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

oh ;)
    its been a while since i played the game. think i played and completed it when it came out two years ago... question is why not continue then?

There's no-one left to kill.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

whiterebel wrote: »
    There's no-one left to kill.....;)

I'm sure he could travel through time and take on Mayan/Norse/Japanese mythology!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Multiplayer Gameplay!

Looks good!

• Advertisement

Poor cyclops :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

wes wrote: »
    Bit disappointed that its a prequel, but then I guess there aren't really many places to go after 3.

There are other gods.

814155141_3dnYd-L.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Live action trailer.

Also, how has there not been more talk about this game on this forum? From everything I've been reading it's shaping up to be better than GoW3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Also, how has there not been more talk about this game on this forum? From everything I've been reading it's shaping up to be better than GoW3.

Cause i cant help but feel they are milking it abit, and with the inclusion of multiplayer alot of fans seem to think it may dilute the singleplayer experience. Plus the fact that its a prequel and lets be honest, none of the prequel games had a patch on the main 3 games. Although it IS a PS3 and not a psp title so im sure the gameplay, graphics, and massive set pieces will be mind blowing, but as far as the storyline goes im pretty "meh" about it.

I haven't been chatting on boards about it since im on a media blackout just to avoid ruining any of the epic moments that are yet to come, but for sure ill be getting it day1 as im a massive GoW fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Morpork wrote: »

Looks like more of the same. yay :D graphics are excellent, the scale is phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If I preorder this on amazon.co.uk

Do i also get the the last of us demo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

I just put a pre-order for the Collector's Edition of GOW: Ascension there today. Cannot wait for this game. Epic is the word for the series. CE looks pretty sweet too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Gentlemen, whats the cheapest place to get this online? Don't need it on release day.

Best i go so far is Amazon at €46 with free delivery. No doubt it will be €60 in gamestop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So, I only played GOW 1 in this series and thought it was brilliant, really don't know why I never played any of the rest of them. Looking at vids of the GOW 4 demo and it looks like a great laugh so I said I'd look up the previous games and turns out I have GOW 1 HD free on PS+, never even realised that! Definitely gonna play through that again. Is GOW 2 any good or is it worth just going straight to GOW 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,206 ✭✭✭✭Penn

sheehy83 wrote: »
    So, I only played GOW 1 in this series and thought it was brilliant, really don't know why I never played any of the rest of them. Looking at vids of the GOW 4 demo and it looks like a great laugh so I said I'd look up the previous games and turns out I have GOW 1 HD free on PS+, never even realised that! Definitely gonna play through that again. Is GOW 2 any good or is it worth just going straight to GOW 3?

I think GOW1 HD for free is a new one this week. Set it to download last night myself.

GOW2 was my favourite. Absolutely magnificent game and definitely worth playing. GOW3 is a lot more of a spectacular than the others, but still incredibly fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

God of War 2 is probably the best one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Good timing so, ah pity the HD collection wasn't free the shnakes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The demo is now on PSN. Graphics are very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I have a code for a free God of War Ascension Theme if anyone wants it? First one to reply to me, I will PM with the code

• Advertisement
Advertisement