Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essay Question Help

Options
  • 29-07-2014 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

(Not sure if correct thread)

Hi there I'm studying Sociology of Ethnolinguistic and Cultural Change and this is an essay question I must cover. I'm not fully sure what this question entails and what I would have to discuss? Could anyone give me a simpler meaning of it and/or what I'd need to mention. Thanks if anyone can help?

Q. The Irish condition has rendered Irish language revitalisation as a non-issue in its own national context. Discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Might help to consider what the Irish condition firstly involves and then consider the implications on revitalising the Irish language.
    It's a pretty big question and you can argue this in a neg or pos way. As I now have a negative outlook as far as this is concerned, that is the way I would be arguing it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I would agree with the above. Would have to firstly define the Irish condition and then take a stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

As others have said, "Irish condition" has been left deliberately ambiguous, but presumably refers to political, economic, social and environmental factors influencing cultural development. You can argue that independence has left Ireland with complete autonomy vis-a-vis Irish, and that extinction would be a deliberate choice, or that faced with the global influence of the internet and the resultant monocultural dominance of English, the preservation of national languages becomes culturally imperative. Whichever side of the argument you take, it looks a meaty topic, with plenty supporting texts to draw from!

Advertisement