Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coarse fishing on the avonmore in rathdrum?

Options
  • 24-06-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

hi all,i've recently moved to rathdrum and am keen to get back into coarse fishing(havent in 2 yrs)as im not really into the fly fishing,i live very close to the avonmore and am wondering can i coarse fish it or is it fly only?
    thanking you

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The ph of the water is too acid for coarse fish to be successful. Consequently it's a trout water.
    If you want coarse fish in Wicklow, you'll have to get off the granite to find more fertile water, and the Barrow is an excellent coarse water with most fish to specimen sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

thanks coolwings .i knew that already,im sorry i worded my first post badly. what i want to know is if you can fish for trout with worms in the avonmore as opposed to flies......
    thanks again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

There's a club, but I don't know their rules. I think all methods....
    cjsalmon is from the region and hopefully will pop in with more info before long.
    Cheers

cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

thanks coolwings .i knew that already,im sorry i worded my first post badly. what i want to know is if you can fish for trout with worms in the avonmore as opposed to flies......
    thanks again
    there is an active club on the river-rathdrum trout anglers-contact address given is jim kelly(sec) church view, Lower street.Rathdrum.Co Wicklow. got this from Peter O'Reilly's book ''rivers of Ireland' but its 1988 issue; still I hope its of some help.

• Advertisement

cheers ollie....i think i have an name to contact a little more up to date...thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coachman

The club is happy for members to fish 'any method' on the river, although most competitions are fly only. Club operates about 10 miles of river from Clara Laragh to The meetings.

For contact go to Gala or Tourist information and ask for contact details.

cheers
    Hope to see you on the river
    Rathdrum Trout Angling and Environmental Club.

thanks very much coachman....i think michael driver is the man to contact but i could be wrong...how much is membership to join the angling club and in joining does that do away with the need for permits?
    thanks again

Chief

Present secretary is Fran Bass.The Tourist Info Office, on the square, opposite the chipper, has application form and contact details. Cost 2010 is E35 (includes public liability and personnal accident insurance). No other license required for trout fishing. Minimum size is 8". Return as many as you can please, but I guess as a coarse angler you already have that ethos.

jesus cant ever remember seeing the tourist office open..ha ha.. 35 euro is excellent value....every fish caught by myself is always returned safe and sound...whats the point in keeping them...dont like eating fish....just catching them.....

• Advertisement

Spoke to 'May' today. Office is closed for lunch 1-2pm
    She has forms and contact detail and expecting you.

cheers

you're a legend thanks coachman

application form in the post:):):)

got my membership pack in the post today so happy days:):):)

Advertisement