Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New years resolutions?

Options
  • 01-01-2010 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any point to them? I rarely follow through with mine as they're a bit out of reach.

I've set more realistic goals, won't say resolutions as they aren't huge on my agenda but still would be nice to achieve them.

Do you set new years resolutions or just go on your merry way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I've got a few, hopefully I can do them or even get a start on them.

> Finish some ongoing restoration & DIY projects I have
    > Go to the gym more - Probably thousands other with the same resolution
    > Get the band up off the ground... slowly gathering speed at the moment. :)
    > Start a new hobby. I'm thinking about giving pinstriping a go, a lot of work but it looks bloody cool.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Gonna try give up the cigs again

This time Im just going to try cold turkey without putting any more crap into my body.

After that Im concentrating on clearing a few debts--cc,car loan etc.Ideally Id just like to have the mortgage and no other debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frodos63

I gave up making new year resolutions as a resolution 5 years ago and am still going strong:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

New Years Resolutions are a positive idea in a way. NY gives a lot of people a start-point to go "Right, it's a brand new year, I'm gonna be a brand new person" and if they can stick to that, more power to them. I think it's more beneficial/productive to treat each day as a possible new beginning and to set goals as they occur to you, rather than relying on revolutions of a planet around the nearest star.

For me, I like to pick a couple of things I'll do or learn in a year. This year, I have yet to decide on most of what I plan to do but I think learning to cook is on the agenda....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Practice keyboards more often, try and do some more home recording.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭icanhearjimi

The same as every year.
    Stop putting salt on the dinner before i've even tasted it. Lasts about a week.
    It'll be the end of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Will wrote: »
    Is there any point to them? I rarely follow through with mine as they're a bit out of reach.

I've set more realistic goals, won't say resolutions as they aren't huge on my agenda but still would be nice to achieve them.

Do you set new years resolutions or just go on your merry way?
    I have never done a new years resolution in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

This years resolution is to put a fiver a week aside till I can afford a good quality camera.
    And to cook a better curry.
    And to exercise more.

Two outta three ain't bad.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Just to get out more often. Tend to spend all my time on the couch on my days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

This years new resolution for me is to stop feeling comfortable. I hate the softness of routine and familiarity, but it has slowly grown over me like a moss in the last few years (can't take risks, what with the economy and all :rolleyes:)

When I look back on my life thus far, the moments I remember are moments when I was exhausted from pushing myself physically past a point I'd never gone before, getting put into a position where I had to adapt mentally on the fly and succeeding. I never remember the days where I had an average day at work, came home, watched a movie on my big screen, went for a walk, surfed the net and then went to bed. If I'm not going to remember it then why am I doing it?

I think the reason that New Years is such a good time for resolutions is due to the slowdown around the Xmas and New Years, as it gives you a break to reflect over the past year (in this case, decade) and what you've accomplished with your time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement