Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpleasant comments on social media

• 21-09-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am a female teacher in a secondary school. Something happened last week in class that led me to indulge googling my professional name on the internet. Putting aside the fact that it was childish of me, it will be the first and last time I'll do this as the results were a bit unpleasant. I've discovered that a couple of students have made public remarks about me on a form of social media. The comments refer to my physical appearance. It does not bother me to think the students might make judgements and comments about my appearance. I cannot control what they think. What has upset me is that the context the comments have been set in and that it is permanent. They seem to unhappy with me for how I have dealt with (what I had perceived) as small disciplinary matters and have hit back quite vitriolically. The word b*tch is used alongside unpleasant remarks about how I look, there is an insinuation that my reaction to a behaviour issue would have made more sense had I been 'good looking' and one expresses to desire to 'batter' me.

These students are old enough to know the power of what they're saying, and it's concerning. I do not feel under any physical threat but I feel sad that these boys are voicing their frustrations in this way. I don't feel like I can do anything about this. Firstly, what was I thinking googling my teaching name in the first place! And secondly, more depressingly, I think highlighting this issue would only add fuel to the fire.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I would like some advice on how I might be able to deal with future discipline issues with these boys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

If you have a supportive principal (values you as a teacher , secure employment etc ) (and live well outside place youre working)you can consider tackling this otherwise its best ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

Has your school not got a code of conduct for pupils which should include their comments on social media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think there's a need for students to understand that teachers are "actual normal people" too and that this kind of thing is unacceptable.

For some reason the student - teacher relationship tends to make the teacher into a sort of dehumanised character because they're the authority figure.

I guess there's always been an element of mocking teachers behind their backs but I suppose the online aspect makes it more obvious.

I think I'd (with support of the principal) calmly bring it up and explain that you're quite put out by it and maybe to show that teachers are actual, real people too!

They also need to drive home the fact that it's as unacceptable to bully or abuse staff online as other students and there needs to be consequences.

Brought up immediately with parents followed by:

1. An genuine apology.
    2. Comments removed.
    3. A workshop on social media bullying
    4. A commitment that it won't happen again.

If that fails, I think serious disciplinary consequences like suspension or at least detention or something needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Something similar happened me a couple of years ago. I brought the student over to the principal. Everything was immediately removed and an apology was issued. If you know the students responsible, I would not let it lie.

The Google linkage between my email account and youtube was my undoing, and it happened shortly after Google started automatically linking both accounts. Thus when I went on Youtube to show something to the class they could see my Youtube username even though I had only signed into my gmail account.

Apparently in our school the principal had a full time job dealing with comments on ratemyteacher back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I would definitely be reporting this to the principal. The internet is forever and students need to be made aware that it is not a private medium. If they were to go on and do this in real life about a colleague or boss the consequences would be severe and range from losing their jobs to charges for slander or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's a difficult one though. I think teachers have it a lot tougher than other workers because this would result in serious HR consequences if it happened in any other workplace.

Dealing with kids, you've a bit more of a leeway for this kind of thing but it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt the individual on the receiving end of it.

I've seen where it's crossed into university where bullying a lecturer could end up with dire consequences (even legal ones) as everyone's an adult and everything from HR policy to defamation law is in play.

I think it's very important that school kids learn that social media posts have consequences and to use social media wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

You absolutely should not just ignore this. It's unacceptable behaviour and the students need to learn this. You need to bring it to the attention of the principal and you don't need to justify deciding to google yourself. I get the impression from what you said that you had cause to do it anyway, even before you found out what had been written but you don't have to justify it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Hi
    If the comments were posted on the rmt website then there is a way to remove them.
    Pretend to be a student and apply to the site to be a moderator for your school.
    Then, when you are appointed you can make some changes [not too many at first or you will be removed as moderator]
    A simple thing to do is to change names e.g. if your name is down as Mr. Joe Bloggs then change it to Mr. Joe Smith. then if someone googles you, the comments placed about you never appear. It also makes it more awkward for students to comment about you in future as all comments will now come through you [or through the moderator]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

This happened to me last year without my knowledge. Students were dealt with by management and comments removed before I was even aware of the situation. From reading between the lines, I believe it was other students who brought it to the schools attention. There's always going to be a small minority who push things too far and you shouldn't hesitate to bring this to the school's attention. At the very least kids should know not to make petty comments in a public forum if they want to get a job anytime in the future.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Take screen shots and then take action. It is not in any way acceptable for students to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 fdkl

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've taken screenshots and I'll talk to the principal tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

fdkl wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I've taken screenshots and I'll talk to the principal tomorrow.

As a parent of a pupil who just started secondary school with ipads - there is a ridiculously long list of stuff 'web' wise that they can and cannot do. It is seriously frowned upon to slag the teachers.

As the principal says - anything on social media will ALWAYS get back to him, be it through fellow pupils, teachers, parents, or staff.

The students need to understand that on-line abuse is still abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I would endorse the views that it should be followed up upon. It is one area where schools almost certainly would have a policy in place and from occasional cases of which I am aware they tend to deal with such matters swiftly and decisively - helped by the fact that by definition there is evidence. There are many instances such as general verbal abuse, sneering etc. where a teacher might find very frustrating to have to deal with in their workplace, but this one is clearcut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fdkl wrote: »

Chase the hosting site too, particularly if they have Irish connections.

I wouldn't rule out getting legal advice too on how to chase the parents of the children involved. This sort of thing is only going to get worse and the sooner someone draws a line in the sand the better.

Take them for a good few bob and you'll see how they and others keep a better eye on their darlings and the activities they raise them to believe to be acceptable.

Advertisement