Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

click strain

Options
  • 13-03-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

can't find another health thread so appologies if this isn't the right place

this is a pretty geeky thing, but my mouse hand has been in absolute tatters this last while, and it's only getting worse. it's at the point where i'm walking around all day massaging it to try to make it feel better

my brother used to suffer from a condition where muscles he used to play the piano (5 hours a day) over crowded the others and nearly made his arms completely useless. i'm afraid of going that way

any idea what i can do for this? i use a computer all through the working day

god this is a geeky injury

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Why would you walk around in pain ? You should get that seen to.

Go see a doctor.

Bring your mouse, in case there is something noteworthy about how you grip it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭toggle

marbar wrote: »
    can't find another health thread so appologies if this isn't the right place

this is a pretty geeky thing, but my mouse hand has been in absolute tatters this last while, and it's only getting worse. it's at the point where i'm walking around all day massaging it to try to make it feel better

my brother used to suffer from a condition where muscles he used to play the piano (5 hours a day) over crowded the others and nearly made his arms completely useless. i'm afraid of going that way

any idea what i can do for this? i use a computer all through the working day

god this is a geeky injury

Go and see your doctor as trout said previously.

You wrist and forearm problem is most likely down to repetitive strain and overuse.

It would be worth investing in a new mouse, I have put a link to a company that sells a vertical mouse, they are expensive but well worth the money as it will remove the cause of most mouse related injuries

http://www.ergonomics.co.uk/evoluent_mouse_vertical_3.html

I would also ice the painful area 10 mins couple of times a day.

Regards
    Toggle

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

trout wrote: »
    Why would you walk around in pain ? You should get that seen to.

basically just because it hurts. it seems to hurt alot more if i have to copy and paste a whole lot of material, so it's probably a clicking a dragging movement that's specifically doing it

cheers for the link, i'll have to look into getting one of them. £80 is a bit steep for a mouse all the same, but it'll be worth it to get rid of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

When i first got a computer at like 14 or something , i'd be on the PC for hours on end , and a few times my hand was moulded from the shape of the mouse and couldn't move my fingers for ages ,

two things that helped was a got a wrist cushion thing
    and a new mouse (one that better shapes to your hand)

they both helped but if your hand is hurting over the little movements from the mouse , i t might be best to lay off it for a while

i can't lay off it is the problem. i work on a computer all day every day
    i've tried to not use the mouse at all and just use the keyboard all the time, but it's just not practical

i've seen the cushion things. might try that out

• Advertisement

marbar wrote: »
    i can't lay off it is the problem. i work on a computer all day every day
    i've tried to not use the mouse at all and just use the keyboard all the time, but it's just not practical

i've seen the cushion things. might try that out

Many people work on computers all day & every day ... without the levels of pain you've described.

There may be some aspect of your desk/chair/computer setup that is contributing to your wrist being sore. If you can, ask a colleague to 'try out' your workstation and see if they see anything odd about it. You may have just 'gotten used' to the working space.

I'd really think about seeing a doctor though ... don't just put up with a pain, if you don't know what the cause is.

yeah maybe i should go and see a doctor. i've tried using the mouse in my left hand since i've been back to work the last two days, but every so often i just use my right anyway, and it's sore instantly.
    this can't be right

well going to the doctor was teh right idea
    they thought originally that it was carpel tunnel syndrome, but the doctor now thinks it's ulnar nerve palsy

that's a fancy was of saying that the nerve up by my elbow was damaged. course of anti inflammatorys should sort it. hopefully

Good to see you got expert advice. Hope it clears up nicely for you.

Advertisement