Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a UK reg car in Ireland

• 15-06-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a car that's for sale in Ireland, but it's on UK plates.
    Regarding the VRT process, am I required to have anything other than proof of purchase from the current owner?

There is a new VRTVPD2 form that the seller and myself fill out, so does that just make me liable for the VRT from my date of purchase and the previous history of the car (how long in the country etc) is of no concern to me?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Im fairly sure that you may still be liable for penalties back to when the vehicle was first brought over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Who checks the seller details on that new form?

What happens if Revenue can't contact John Smith of 123 Fake Street, Newry, Co. Down?

Do they revoke your registration?

Dangel4x4 wrote: »
    Somebody may or may not have bought it from a gentleman called John Smith in Northern Ireland, which may be why there is no proof of transportation from the "mainland" like a ferry ticket...

I myself have bought a car or two from the North in such a fashion. A dated handwritten receipt was all that was needed at VRT time.

I have a freind (really) that brings cars in and he got away a few times writing out his own receipt.

However the last time a different staff member dealt with him and it was a diffrent story.

He had to pay full amount of VRT + Penalties!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Sorry, I edited my post to make it sound less dodgy but you got in before me. :D

Like anything I suppose if you do the dog on it they will take notice. ;)

The whole set up is daylight robbery.

Why should people in Ireland pay more for cars than anyone else in say the UK.

Isn't the tax already paid on a vehich upon 1st registration in whatever country its new in?

Makes my piss boil........

RANT OVER:mad::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

PLUG71 wrote: »
    The whole set up is daylight robbery.

Why should people in Ireland pay more for cars than anyone else in say the UK.

Isn't the tax already paid on a vehich upon 1st registration in whatever country its new in?

Makes my piss boil........

RANT OVER:mad::D

you want to pay Council Tax at the rate the UK do? It's swings and roundabouts,

corktina wrote: »
    you want to pay Council Tax at the rate the UK do? It's swings and roundabouts,

I wonder how long it will be before they introduce that too:confused:

It is swings and round about, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Lots of info here, but nothing about a situation like I described.

http://www.ncts.ie/vq3.html

The car I am (was) thinking about hasn't been taxed in the UK since Dec '11 so it could have been driving around here for that time?

I'm less inclined to go look at it now, if I'm possibly going to be liable for extra fees and penalties!

Cheers

Advertisement