Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance for 17 year old

• 14-06-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I know your Gonna say phone the insurance companies BUT I have my theory test booked so until I do it I can't get a quote. Anyway I have a 2006 1.4 corolla lined up I will be insured in my dad's name, he has not made any claims no points etc, anyone know roughly how much it will cost all in? I was thinking around 1200ish? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

Scaglietti wrote: »
    I know your Gonna say phone the insurance companies BUT I have my theory test booked so until I do it I can't get a quote. Anyway I have a 2006 1.4 corolla lined up I will be insured in my dad's name, he has not made any claims no points etc, anyone know roughly how much it will cost all in? I was thinking around 1200ish? Thanks.

I have a full licence and it was going to be €1400 on my parents on a 1.3 Corolla

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Scaglietti

It goes down a good bit when the cars less than 10 yo

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DarkAngel91

Ok well when I was getting a quote for insurance under my mums policy when i was 18 they were looking for like 2,700 and i just had passed my theory test. Best thing to do is go in and have a chat with what ever insurance company your dad is with and they should give you an estimated quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Your dad can not insure 2 different cars using the same no claims bonus. If he's the main driver on this car (as well as his own car), he will have 0 NCB for it. Insurance company will also adjust the premium based on the highest risk driver which is you.

Your dad can not insure 2 different cars using the same no claims bonus. If he's the main driver on this car (as well as his own car), he will have 0 NCB for it. Insurance company will also adjust the premium based on the highest risk driver which is you.

He's had it frm new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

No that's not true

Putting yourself as a named driver on a car that you own and where you are the primary driver is fraud.

Putting yourself as a named driver on a car that you own and where you are the primary driver is fraud.

It's Unfortunate they won't find out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not being truthful to an insurance company is a perilous and foolish risk that can and will eventually come back to bite you. Short term gain only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

just got our 17 year old insured on Friday. Phoned about 20 insurance companies The company we are with wouldnt take her. My husbands changed his company and to cut a long story short we are paying just under 1000euro. She is insured with my husband him beign the main driver on a 141 car

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not being truthful to an insurance company is a perilous and foolish risk that can and will eventually come back to bite you. Short term gain only.

Yolo

• Advertisement

lulu1 wrote: »
    just got our 17 year old insured on Friday. Phoned about 20 insurance companies The company we are with wouldnt take her. My husbands changed his company and to cut a long story short we are paying just under 1000euro. She is insured with my husband him beign the main driver on a 141 car

That's pretty good for a new car

That's pretty good for a new car
    couldn't believe it

Yolo

Lol. And a lesson earned is a lesson learned.

lulu1 wrote: »

Named driver on a 141 car. Is she the primary driver, there won't be a smiles if she has a tip.

Named driver on a 141 car. Is she the primary driver, there won't be a smiles if she has a tip.

No she is not the primary driver and if she has a tip she may live in the car because she better not come home :)

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lol. And a lesson earned is a lesson learned.

On your bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Is the corolla your family car, or is it specifically bought for you? You didn't really specify... I'm assuming it will be "your" car

Family bought it new in 06 but it's my car now, until I pass me test anyway, and don't be going like ow that's fraud cause I don't want to hear it.

Family bought it new in 06 but it's my car now, until I pass me test anyway, and don't be going like ow that's fraud cause I don't want to hear it.

Ok, that's fine, but as long as you are aware of fronting and it's consequences. Safe motoring nonetheless.

I don't see how they can find out even if I do have an accident.

• Advertisement

Will you be living at home?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

He's had it frm new

Doesn't matter, if he has another car he will be using as his own car day to day while you use this one, he will have 0 NCB for the second insurance policy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A rather casual attitude to deception.

On your bike

You have a lot of growing up to do, hopefully you will acquire some sense along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

It's Unfortunate they won't find out

Think you need to grow up!

If you have an acciden YOU are screwed and the people you hit!:confused::mad:

You and little babies like you are the reason that we have to pay high insurance!

Like I said Grow up!!

PLUG71 wrote: »
    You and little babies like you are the reason that we have to pay high insurance!

Like I said Grow up!!

Did I touch a nerve?

Did I touch a nerve?
    Yeah you're ignorance and immaturity astound me!! :)

Oh yeah I forgot to mention your arrogance too!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Did I touch a nerve?

A child like you is going to be driving on the road?

All I can say is I feel sorry for the people you will crash into, which is inevitable going to happen.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

All I can say is I feel sorry for the people you will crash into, which is inevitable going to happen.

Glad im not the only one that thinks this guy is a idiot!

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

I feel sorry for people like you that have nothing better to do than come on here and put people down! Get a life!! I came here looking for a rough quote estimate. One more thing, what age are you?

I feel sorry for people like you that have nothing better to do than come on here and put people down! Get a life!! I came here looking for a rough quote estimate. One more thing, what age are you?

Misread previous post my bad

You came on here and showed how juvenile you are.

I have a great life thanks!!

I'm 42 and what off it?

Did I ask?

You are the sort of person that thinks its clever lying to your insurance company in order to save a few quid.

However it will most likely be someone else that you cost money, ie:- your dad if he lets you go as a name driver.

Learn to take advise!!

Maybe if you drop the cocky attitude you will do alot better in life.

Believe me I know because I was just like you at your age and looking back it cost me!

• Advertisement

You are the sort of person that thinks its clever lying to your insurance company in order to save a few quid.

However it will most likely be someone else that you cost money, ie:- your dad if he lets you go as a name driver.

Learn to take advise!!

Maybe if you drop the cocky attitude you will do alot better in life.

Believe me I know because I was just like you at your age and looking back it cost me!

Getting insurance this way is the only way unless your pretty rich, it would be nice to have my own policy but at my age the prices are crazy and I need a car so for the moment this is the only thing I can afford to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So if say you are involved in an accident are you planning on...
    A- Giving false name and address details to the other people involved or An Garda if present.
    Or,
    B- Leaving the scene of an accident without giving any details

Getting insurance this way is the only way unless your pretty rich, it would be nice to have my own policy but at my age the prices are crazy and I need a car so for the moment this is the only thing I can afford to do.

I totally agree the insurance cost for new drivers is a joke.
    But, you will be worse of if you do what you plan and something happens becaues insurance companys look for any reason for revoking cover during a claim and WILL 100% go through every piece of info you provided.

I know what its like, you cant wait to get out on the road for all sorts of diffrent reasons.

Just do it right for your own sake!

I totally agree the insurance cost for new drivers is a joke.
    But, you will be worse of if you do what you plan and something happens becaues insurance companys look for any reason for revoking cover during a claim and WILL 100% go through every piece of info you provided.

I know what its like, you cant wait to get out on the road for all sorts of diffrent reasons.

Just do it right for your own sake!

Unfortunately I can't and I need the car as I have sheep and need to transport food etc but when I eventually get my full licence I will get my own policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Unfortunately I can't and I need the car as I have sheep and need to transport food etc but when I eventually get my full licence I will get my own policy.

There is another option...

I'm assuming that your father has another car to replace the one he appears to be giving you? Flog it and buy something cheaper and then use the profit to cover the additional cost of the insurance on your own.

It's not just if you are in an accident that you could be found out. A checkpoint could catch you out and it's a lot more likely. If you are using the car to carry feed too you might need to consider having a business use added to your policy. I don't know how that would work at your age (it probably won't with a provisional license) but it may be required.

• Advertisement

you have two legs use them. If you can't afford to drive, then don't.

I can afford it don't you be worrying about that :) and it's too far to walk never mind with a bag of feed. I don't know about where you live but it's not exactly like I can jump on the luis or take a bus!

There is another option...

I'm assuming that your father has another car to replace the one he appears to be giving you? Flog it and buy something cheaper and then use the profit to cover the additional cost of the insurance on your own.

It's not just if you are in an accident that you could be found out. A checkpoint could catch you out and it's a lot more likely. If you are using the car to carry feed too you might need to consider having a business use added to your policy. I don't know how that would work at your age (it probably won't with a provisional license) but it may be required.

He wouldn't let me sell this car or his and I'll look into the business use when I call them up during the week, the theory test is tomorrow so hopefully I'll pass that and get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

K.Flyer wrote: »
    So if say you are involved in an accident are you planning on...
    A- Giving false name and address details to the other people involved or An Garda if present.
    Or,
    B- Leaving the scene of an accident without giving any details

Or quite obviously C - Call the Gardai, explain how you are insured as a named driver - but the Father is the main driver. Wait a fortnight and the insurance company will have paid out. We know this is what happens.

You'd have more money than sense to get insured any other way as a new driver in Ireland. Did it myself many years ago, worked out fine. A few years later when I was buying a new car I went under my own name and started working up a NCB.

FrStone wrote: »
    Or quite obviously C - Call the Gardai, explain how you are insured as a named driver - but the Father is the main driver. Wait a fortnight and the insurance company will have paid out. We know this is what happens.

You'd have more money than sense to get insured any other way as a new driver in Ireland. Did it myself many years ago, worked out fine. A few years later when I was buying a new car I went under my own name and started working up a NCB.

Thank you. Thats what I'm planning on doing too

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Translation: only tell me what I want to hear.

You don't really care what's the right, best, safest way to do it. You just want to give your own opinion on what you want and then hope people agree with you.

Edit: btw if it makes you feel better , go for it. Even if it goes wrong and you get caught you won't be prosecuted for fraud. Your father will. But after all, you don't need to worry about that once you're allowed drive his car, with his insurance and his risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

mfergus wrote: »
    Translation: only tell me what I want to hear.

You don't really care what's the right, best, safest way to do it. You just want to give your own opinion on what you want and then hope people agree with you.

Well he actually came here to ask what price he would probably pay, not anyones opinion on whether he should or shouldn't get insured in any particular way.
    mfergus wrote: »
    Even if it goes wrong and you get caught you won't be prosecuted for fraud. Your father will. But after all, you don't need to worry about that once you're allowed drive his car, with his insurance and his risk.

How many prosecutions have occurred in the past 5 years in Ireland for this specific offence? I doubt there have been many, if any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP ring insurance companies when you have your Learner Permit. You can still call and get quotes without having to give license numbers etc. No one on here can give you an accurate quote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement