Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Beautiful Mind

• 03-03-2005 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

When I saw it advertised I guessed, it's a film about maths so must be boring, so I never watched it until yesterday.
    What a brilliant film! Very good twists in it. One of the best I've seen. Anyone else watch it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not a bad film, but not brillant either.

On a side note, was voted No.2 in the 'The 10 Worst Best Pictures' referring to the Oscars this month in Empire

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Saw it in the cinema and hated it. Very nearly threw something at the TV when it nabbed the Best Picture Oscar in '02.

Among the reasons:

* Sentimental OTT drowning James Horner score designed to wrench emotions from the viewer rather than let the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of the story/acting do it for us

* Annoyingly, twitchy "Rain Man" style performance from Crowe. It seemed too forced and unnatural, as if he were putting in a "by-the-numbers-Oscar-bait" performance.

* Direction that irked me. Something about Ron Howard's work here left a vile taste in my mouth - I can't pin it at the pacing or camera work but somehow I couldn't wait for the credits.

About the only good thing was the performance by Jennifer Connolly, who reminded me of the tired viewer like myself who was wondering what the hell the fuss was regarding this movie.

I was glad, at least, to see that it got some critical lashings admidst the praise (think it was Donald Clarke in 'The Ticket' who, very rightly said it was one of the most undeserving Oscar awards of the last while... which is saying something).

Sorry but I really really disliked this picture...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I have to agree with Ixoy there. I thought it a piece of cheese, certainly not deserving of awards. Just another example of how ridiclous the Oscars have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Reef

I saw it in the cinema when it first came out without hearing any of the hype. I thought it was fantastic and so did the 5 other people I went to see it with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

I had read the book that by Sylvia Nasar that it is based on and I was very disappointed, they left out big chunks of Nash's life and exaggerated the bits that they included. I felt it didn't do the life story of John Nash justice the way the book did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Don't like the Crowe chap, but have to give him his due, he was damn good in the role. Thought the film was okay, but was impressed with Crowe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I first saw this film not having read and biog info on Nash and for me, this film only took off after it became clear that Nash was actually
    imagining Harris, Bettany and the little girl
    . Up to then it was really just TV bio-pic of the quality but from the carchase scene when I twigged he was just schizo it really got interesting.

Ironically I later found out the real Nash
    never actually SAW these people, he only heard voices in his head
    :)

Also contrary to Ixoy I didn't like Jennifer Connolly in it at all. But then again I've disliked her in everything of hers I've seen bar Labyrinth.

I also agree that the film left large chunks of the guys life out. If you read his wikipedia article for example you'll be left thinking more than once 'did I miss the bit where they covered that' etc? Then again if you want comprehensive info on famous people you should probably read a book anyway.

All in all I'd reccomend it and that's comes straight from a Crowe skeptic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I thought it was great.

I also thought that the story is only intended to be "based", however loosely, on Nash's life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It put me to sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Is it even more boring than Million Dollar Baby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I thoroughly enjoyed 'Million Dollar Baby' to be honest!

Much better than the extremely over-rated 'Mystic River' anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I have to throw my vote in on the side of 'great movie'. Very enjoyable with a good twist in my opinion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Started good, then went to shîte about halfway through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

garred wrote:
    Don't like the Crowe chap, but have to give him his due, he was damn good in the role. Thought the film was okay, but was impressed with Crowe.

Yeah he really was excellent, but I do like him ever since Gladiator. Not a film I would bother watching twice.

Advertisement