Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Main Dublin to Galway road / motorway

Options
  • 11-01-2008 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

does anyone know when the section from kilbeggen to athlone will open ?
    moate is a hole and the sooner the bypass is open the better

and when will the rest of it be completed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Half way through 2010 before it reaches Galway. And thats not considering the usual delays.

Why does everything take so long?? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

In reality these schemes are all under construction and going by recent 'successes', will probobly be open 6 months to a year before whats said on the NRA site.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

And in fairness the rest of the road is fine, Moate is the only problem!

In 10 months time i'll never have to go through Moate ever again (excellent stuff)

I wont be using the M6 to Galway anyway, feck paying a second toll on the galway - dublin road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

green123 wrote: »
    does anyone know when the section from kilbeggen to athlone will open ?
    moate is a hole and the sooner the bypass is open the better

and when will the rest of it be completed ?

Killbeggan-Athlone should be open April-May 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Ballinasloe will be an absolute nightmare when the motorway opens, it just moving the bottleneck from moate to Ballinasloe.

I dont think it will be quite as bad, because the stretch of single carriageway road from the end of the Athlone bypass to Ballinasloe will filter the traffic somewhat. It wont be ideal, but it wont be as bad as Moate is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Plus people do actually want to go to Athlone and they will peel off there, leaving less to go to Galway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

trellheim wrote: »
    Plus people do actually want to go to Athlone and they will peel off there, leaving less to go to Galway.

Lies, lies I tell you. People *have* to go to Athlone, none *want* to :D

• Advertisement

I dont think it will be quite as bad, because the stretch of single carriageway road from the end of the Athlone bypass to Ballinasloe will filter the traffic somewhat. It wont be ideal, but it wont be as bad as Moate is at the moment.
    Moate is a classic one street town! All traffic uses the main street both local & passing through. Ballinasloe has several streets that can be used by local traffic, also far more commuters go through Moate than Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Moate is a classic one street town! All traffic uses the main street both local & passing through. Ballinasloe has several streets that can be used by local traffic, also far more commuters go through Moate than Ballinasloe.
    And correct me if I'm wrong but N6 traffic doesn't actually use the main street in Balinasloe, it gets diverted on a relief road to the south of the town centre. Balinasloe is one of the most depressing places I have ever been in my life btw. There are some realllllyyy grey/bleak towns in east Galway. Not sure why that might be.

murphaph wrote: »
    And correct me if I'm wrong but N6 traffic doesn't actually use the main street in Balinasloe, it gets diverted on a relief road to the south of the town centre. Balinasloe is one of the most depressing places I have ever been in my life btw. There are some realllllyyy grey/bleak towns in east Galway. Not sure why that might be.
    Yes that's correct, the relief road runs parallel to the main street, crap infrastructure (amongst other things) in the past probably prevented these towns from growing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yes, but that that relief road isnt great and you have traffic lights outside the hospital as well (same as in Moate)
    But i suppose only time will tell

Chances are, it may even inprove a bit as westbound traffic will be less "bunched" as there will be more opportunities to overtake slower traffic before the single carriageway section west of Athlone.

When the Ennis bypass on the N18 opened everyone said Gort was going to be a terrible nightmare. Now dont get me wrong, Gort is very bad thesedays, but it wasnt quite as bad as everyone though it was going to be because of the filtering effect of the single carriageway section before Gort.

Kinnegad to Athlone is nearly done (few months), then Ballinasloe - Galway (Ballinasloe bypassed) will be next (Q2 2010 officially, likely late 2009), then Ballinasloe - Athlone which has no major towns will be the last (Q4 2009. Dont ask me how they worked that out as it started construction after the other sections).

So its looking like the N6 will be done by the end of next year, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Pittabang

My assessment with Moate is as follows for Westbound on the dublin town where the N80 meets the N6 at "Barts". The queue prior to this point is usually the longest. Once past that three movment is relatively Swift - can take 45 mins in total

Eastbound queues while lenghty are not nearly as long and can take 15-20 mins as there is no major roads joining

Has this situation changed now that the N80 is diverted to the roundabout to the East of Moate.
    I always considered the town centre the biggest holdup with local traffic coming & going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Has this situation changed now that the N80 is diverted to the roundabout to the East of Moate.
    I always considered the town centre the biggest holdup with local traffic coming & going.

no, the problem is the junction before the town

Came through Moate yesterday evening (@18:00), first time since the opening of the new link road. westbound appears to be better, east bound the queue was shorter than usual but not much.
    How do others find it?

• Advertisement

I'll be passing through tomorrow both ways so I'll let you know over the weekend

going Galway direction at about 2.30 PM there was no issue but returning toward Dublin at 4.15 the queues Galway bound were back beyond the Texaco Garrage at the east side of Moate- nightmare:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

I don't know why the NRA bother to maintain a website. It rarely seems to be updated and timelines are very fudgy. For the road from Galway to Ballinasloe they are quoting a completion time of Q2-2010, yet the contractor's newsletter (on the NRA website) shows operation date of Jan 4th 2010. That's a difference of 3-6 months. The date for Kinnegad to Athlone is showing as Q3-2008. It is like they are fudging the dates so they won't be critised if there is a delay. It's amazing that they are being let away with this. They should be able to more breakdown of the delivery of these projects, like if sections will be opening earlier. There are numerous examples on the site. Phase 3 of the M50 is at the "tender" stage according to the NRA, yet work has already commmenced. The N18 is out to tender according to the government's etender site yet the NRA website maintainers seem to think it is still in planning. It can't be that difficult to keep the site updated!!

Advertisement