Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quickest way from Adamstown to The Square?

Options
  • 16-01-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

just a quick question someone might be able to answer...

whats the handiest way of getting from Adamstown to the Square, Tallaght (daily commute)?
    bus? train plus luas? car?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

car
    outer ring road to n7
    turn at newlands cross onto belgard road
    straight to square

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The only option by bus is:

151 from Adamstown to Nangor Road/9th Lock Road junction in Clondalkin and then 76/76A/76B to the Square.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Outer ring to Boot Road/Green Isle Road then Fonthill Road can be quicker based on time. The N7 has been a lot freer flowing than normal of late though..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 minddoodle

thanks a million to you all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Think you can get the train into Heuston then luas up to the square. You can buy a train&luas ticket too.
    Depending on the time of morning traffic on the belgard road can be chaos and in the evening getting onto the N7 can be trying on the patience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

May I suggest the car.

Outer ringroad into Citywest and onto the N82 in the direction of the N81. Take a left at the Citywest SC roundabout. Straight through the next roundabout and then right at the T-junction. This takes you to T-junction with the N81. Turn left and you'll see the Square ahead of you.

Trust me, this route is far more consistant than the N7/Newlands/Belgard rd. option.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ORR doesn't go in to Citywest, its a junction further down... And believe me, thats not any quicker, tried both. You lose as much time in Citywest with traffic + roundabouts and then on the Tallaght Bypass as you do crawling down Fonthill or the N7.

MYOB wrote: »
    ORR doesn't go in to Citywest, its a junction further down... And believe me, thats not any quicker, tried both. You lose as much time in Citywest with traffic + roundabouts and then on the Tallaght Bypass as you do crawling down Fonthill or the N7.

The outer ringroad does go into to Citywest at the Kingswood interchange. Thats why I don't sit with everyone else at the citywest interchange.:D

Ive done both route 5 days a week for 3 years. We'll agree to differ.

Anyway, the best advice to the OP is the fact that the ORR extension to the N81 will open soon and this will be worth trying from Adamstown. Clogged with cars no doubt, but then all roads are. Thats another story.

Thats a backroad to brings you down to the next junction - its still doubling back distance wise, and you then have a very poor section of the N81 to negotiate after Citywest's multitude of roundabouts.

Anyway, you've been taking the outer ring for three years? Thats... interesting, considering it only got finished a year ago. The lower section was completed before that, however.

MYOB wrote: »
    Thats a backroad to brings you down to the next junction - its still doubling back distance wise, and you then have a very poor section of the N81 to negotiate after Citywest's multitude of roundabouts.

Anyway, you've been taking the outer ring for three years? Thats... interesting, considering it only got finished a year ago. The lower section was completed before that, however.

Right. Now you are beginning to amuse me up with your complete lack of knowledge of the area.

1. The Kingswood interchange DOES access Citywest. The "backroad" you mention runs right past the Kingswood road entrance to citywest. Absolutley no need to double back to the citywest interchange.

2. The kingswood road leads you onto citywest avenue (right only at that roundabout) and then onto the junction with the N82 (citywest road). Turn left here.Follow the N82 to the next roundabout (beside citywest SC)and turn left. It takes you onto fortunestown lane. Going through the next roundabout leads onto fortunestown way and to the T-junction with the cookstown road. Take a right here and it leads you to the N81 just as it turns into a DC (thats dual carraigeway in case you don't know). Take a left and the square is straight ahead.

3. I have been taking the citywest route for the square for 3 years. Thats what I meant. It is on balance (with newlands and belgard) a better route.

4. Buy a map and save yourself some journey time.

5. When the extension to the ORR opens it will lead straight from the kingswood interchange onto the cheeverstown road/cookstown rd and junction with the N81.

6. Next time try to be less of a smart alek when replying. I'm only trying to help the OP because I know what Im talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Bus and Luas.

151 to Nangor Rd/Naas Rd and Luas from Kylemore to Tallaght.

The 151 has bus lane for most of the length so it should be a predictable journey, 20-25mns and 15mns or less on the tram.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    6. Next time try to be less of a smart alek when replying. I'm only trying to help the OP because I know what Im talking about.

Despite the fact that the journey time is still going to be longer than taking the Belgard Road. Try it, you might surprised.

I know the area, very well in fact thanks. Getting through Newlands Cross from the Fonthill South is no problem at all, in fact it has almost as long a sequence as the N7 through has.

Getting down the Belgard Road, with its one roundabout and 80k limit is significantly quicker than winding through Citywest's many roundabouts and for the most part 50k limit - unless you're encouraging speeding, of course. I have extensive maps of most of the country, and I know the entire area you're covering with your highly circuitous route. You, coming from Naas, might not be doubling back on yourself by going through Citywest but anyone coming down the Outer Ring IS.

I also know what a "dual carriageway" is, in much the same way that I know how to spell "Alec" and "I'm". Unlike you.

As goes point 1, its an unclassified road. That is, in general terms, a "backroad".

And as goes point 5 - that extension is not open yet, so its irrelevant at this point in time. Stop thinking you know everything, thanks. Pedantry works better with a spell checker, too.

Slightly less facetously - going through Citywest from Adamstown involves about a kilometre of doubling back on yourself at each end, and throws you out on to one of the most congested roads in the country - the N81 Tallaght Bypass. Its likely not the quickest way if you're coming inbound on the N7 but it is under no circumstances the quickest way if you're coming down the Outer Ring, whatever DWCommuter is trying to pass off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

John R wrote: »
    Bus and Luas.

151 to Nangor Rd/Naas Rd and Luas from Kylemore to Tallaght.

The 151 has bus lane for most of the length so it should be a predictable journey, 20-25mns and 15mns or less on the tram.

If you are taking this option I would stay on the 151 until the junction with Long Mile Road and Kylemore Road, and walk north along Kylemore Road to the LUAS stop. It's quite a walk from the Nangor Road/Naas Road junction to the Kylemore LUAS stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

agreed, you could get the 68/69 51/b/c/d and get off at the naas road beside the kylemore stop though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This highlights yet another failing in our PT network. The ORR sits there with full buslanes (an actual QBC) from the N4 all the way to the N7 and no buses use it despite passing through lots of houses and reaching citywest.

Not blaming DB, just the general malaise wrt. this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

what a happy thread!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK folks chill out or I send in these guys (see pic).

MYOB, I think your comment "DWCommuter is trying to pass off" is at beast misplaced. Its an option, one that perhaps not everyone uses, but DWCommuter seems to be happy with it when he uses it.
    murphaph wrote: »
    no buses use it despite passing through lots of houses
    Maybe the buses got stuck in the houses. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Any idea when the 151 will stop at the bus stops between Grange Park and Adamstown ?

MYOB

Once again and for the final time.

"I" prefer the citywest route as "its" more consistant than using Newlands X and the Belgard road. That is based on trying both routes and then settling on one. By doing this, it means that I do know what "Im" talking about, so at least have the decency to accept that. "Im" not being a smart "alek" by saying this. It is my opinion and "Im" allowed have one.

I didn't criticise anyone elses suggestion here and I only posted to help out the OP. "Its" a pity you "couldnt" do the same. The thread was about helping out another boardsie and not about diving in and having a go at someone elses opinion. Did you not read my post that specifically stated, "we'll agree to differ"? Obviously not as you just couldn't let it go.

As for commenting on my spelling and grammar, well what can one say about that? Unnecessary? Irrelevent? Or perhaps an old trick used by those who intentionally wish to antagonise another member? My spelling and grammar are spot on when they have to be.

" " - denotes my intentional mistakes that "shouldnt" really be of any concern to anyone here.

Note to Mods: I am entitled to the right of reply and I have done so in a manner that isn't provocative or rude. This is the last I have to say in this thread. I trust that MYOB will respect that and the integrity of the thread in general.

• Advertisement
Advertisement