Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colonoscopy on Thursday & Just Watched Love/Hate Finale

Options
  • 10-11-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

Guys, anyone here have a colonoscopy?

I've been trying to remain cool, but I watched Love/Hate last night... if you get me. Now I'm apprehensive.

I'm mostly fearful of needles, and loss of control of my body. But now the endoscope part more than anything. I absolutely hate sedation. I got the tube down before and I didn't get sedation or throat spray, and that was fine. But this is scaring me.

Anyone relay their own experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I had a colonoscopy last year and it was fine. I'd had one about 15 years ago and that was horrendous, even though that one was as a private patient. You will be well monitored by the nurses and while I was entirely concious I didn't really feel anything at all and it was over in no time. The thing to remember with tv programmes is that they tend to exagerate things to the extreme. You'll be fine. Don't forget to have someone go with you to confirm that they will be collecting you after the proceedure, if you don't bring someone they won't do the proceedure.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Well my wife was gonna pick me up, but I was planning on going in myself... would that be ok I wonder....

How long did it take?

I'd actually prefer if they surprise shot me with some sedative, but that isn't going to happen. I wonder can they just knock you clean out? I'd much prefer that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You'll have to have your wife or someone go with you to confirm that they'll be collecting you. My Dad has regular colonoscopies and I have to collect him or they won't do it. It's to do with the effects of the sedation. I think it was about 20 minutes and it really was fine. You will be well monitored to make sure that you aren't in any pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I have them regularly.

You won't be able to drive home afterwards.

I've both slept through them and woken up through them. When I wake I open my eyes and feel nothing, a nurse sees this then puts you back to sleep!

Bit of wind afterwards but no pain or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Worst part is the clean-out beforehand! I never knew there was that much hot liquid in a human body. :o

• Advertisement

Ok, so if I just try nod off I should be ok? Or do I need to be active and following instructions. Turn this way, turn that way type thing.

Really not looking forward to this, though I know it's no joke, the alternative (laying the head in the sand) is worse, irresponsible, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Gosub wrote: »
    Worst part is the clean-out beforehand! I never knew there was that much hot liquid in a human body. :o

Jaysussss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thingamagig

I can assure you it is utterly painless. They will be trying not to damage the bowel. Not quite the intention of the love/hate character! Ya the prep is bothersome, but you just stay inside ( do not leave the house at any time)...good luck

I honestly cannot imagine how this is going to be painless.

The mental trauma at minimum.

When I got the tube down, I immediately regretted my decision to not get sedated. I lifted my arm to tap out, and say ok lads, let's start this again. But they just pinned me down, 3 of them.

All in all though it was grand, minor blip from me due to the initial sensation, but by god did they react and pin me down good. I'm not going to compare it to rape, but I definitely felt violated.

I would agree that it is unpleasant being there even if you are sedated. Everyone must feel embarrassed and vulnerable. But the sedation dulls it all. I won't say it is painless in that sense, but physically there is nothing to worry about but cramps.

• Advertisement

On a scale of 1 to Fran, how painful?

myshirt wrote: »
    On a scale of 1 to Fran, how painful?

It isn't painful.

You will be sedated for it.

Have you your prescription for the day before?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Camera up the bum is the easy bit. The Clean Prep is the hardest. By the time your through with the prep the scope will be over in no time.

Most people who've had the endoscop down the throat vs colonoscope think the down-the-throat is much worse. You've had it already and it wasn't that bad, so the colonoscope will be grand.

I'd take the camera up any day!!

Last time i had both done together and my throat was killing me for about three days after. No pain anywhere else.

That's unusual now, as I had zero pain in my throat. Genuinely zero. I had a large meal maybe 1 hour after leaving the hospital. I was absolutely starving.

Possibly it is down to the doctor as to whether you meet pain or not...

It isn't painful.

You will be sedated for it.

Have you your prescription for the day before?

Yeah, four hours of drinking this Kleen Prep. Seems intensive, four hours non stop. That's a days work by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

had a major bleed in the small intestine in august so had an endoscopy, and 2colonoscopies since the (ct and mri scan as well for good measure) . slept through the first, watched the telly through the second must have put me on light sedation as i felt fine afterwards.

no pain during or after just some wind

kleen prep and not eating definitely the worst.

just make sure you do the prep as if you arent cleaned out they will send you away and youll have to do it again.

yep endoscopy (without sedation is much worse)

Oh I'll follow it to the letter of the law.

Ok, I think my plan is to just try nod off and forget I'm there, if I can.

You won't just fall asleep tbh.....like you'll be sedated. Canula into the arm job.

Again, you will be grand... the less you think about it, the better (off to another thread with ya??!!)

(p.s. couldn't edit my last post, but meant to read: nothing to worry about except a few cramps)anat ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

OP,

Congrats on starting what is at present Thread of The Day on Boards:D

I hope the 'scope goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,825 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've had a few over the years. Don't remember a single thing about them. No pain before, during or afterwards.

You're not knocked out completely, but sedated - so I suppose it depends on your propensity to succumb to that sedation - if I lie down flat I fall asleep so I just conk out each time.

Drinking the jungle juice the day before is definitely the worst bit!

Thanks guys for the advice.

All ready to go now. Did consider putting this thread in After Hours, but knowing the folk there I may have come out of it with a rogering worse than Fran.

Well lads, some experience I'll tell you.

Enough sedation to render you immobile, but not enough to prevent you from knowing (and feeling) what was going on.

The twists and turns, uggggh.

That Kleen prep stuff is unreal, was a task to get through it all in four hours. Really is stomach turning. Had to skull it.

My experience with the nursing staff and consultant - A1. Top, top ladies. Anyway, cheers to everyone in relaying their experience. Hope this thread is helpful for anyone who googles it. Pro-tip: Don't watch Love/Hate finale 3 days before your colonoscopy!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Glad it's done. For my first, the pharmacy assistant actually expressed her deepest sympathy as she handed the Klean Prep over. I never knew anything from when I was 1st sedated until I came out of it.

Klean prep is the work of the devil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Glad you are over it myshirt.

I had one a few years ago with a similar level of sedation. Doctor said it would take about fifteen minutes but the sedation would make it feel like about seven and that's exactly what happened. Everyone else seemed to come back snoring but I was fully awake right afterwards.

Thankfully in my case I only felt a few slight pinches. I had worked myself up into a right state beforehand reading horror stories on the net but honestly I've had trips to the dental hygienist that were more traumatic.

Did anyone else have Picolax for the clean out? You only need to drink two mugs of it and a lot of water. It's still vile though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

myshirt wrote: »
    Guys, anyone here have a colonoscopy?

I've been trying to remain cool, but I watched Love/Hate last night... if you get me. Now I'm apprehensive.

I'm mostly fearful of needles, and loss of control of my body. But now the endoscope part more than anything. I absolutely hate sedation. I got the tube down before and I didn't get sedation or throat spray, and that was fine. But this is scaring me.

Anyone relay their own experience?

I would've thought more like 'colonic irrigation' perhaps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Just interesting reading your posts folks.

I have a endoscopy/colonoscopy every 3 years. I've always been completely knocked out. I remember being wheeled into the room. That's it!
    Wake up bout an hour later.

Getting the chills even thinking about the kleen prep.

Glad you got on ok OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The possibility of one of these was mentioned to me a while ago and I still might at some stage.

Reading things like this makes me think I just couldn't do it. Im not not good with things like clean prep, although I do take a movicol every few days to get things moving but clean prep is vile compared to that. Also theres the day fasting before you have it, I'm the sort of person that just doesn't go without my food no matter how sick I am, one time I had to fast for surgery I felt sick after a while.

I imagine some sedation would be welcome but i think I would want to be some way aware of what was going on during the procedure.

Advertisement