Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options
  • 02-11-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

I have a French friend who is studying engineering/robotics. She wants to come to Ireland next summer for her work experience, which has to be somewhat related to robotics/engineering/manufacturing.

I put the word out amongst people I know in order to find her a placement but it's not looking promising. I don't know enough engineers. The problem now is, she doesn't know what companies are in Ireland that she could apply to and, quite frankly, neither do I.

Does anyone know where I could find a list of engineering/manufacturing companies in Ireland that she could apply to? Or even if you have any recommendations of your own?

Any help at all on this would be very much appreciated. Sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

stryker, abbot, hovione, pfizer, jansen, boston scienfic, depuy, dairygold, dell, google, apple, intel all take on placements.

Just google them and call the receptions asking for a placement application link.

gradireland dot com/

Any preference ? Biomedical, food, pharma? Location? I wouldn't worry about robotics as opposed to personal preference, ie structured monitored experience, and location would be important as many of the above plants aren't in foreign student ideal areas.

Also gradcracker dot co dot uk also do placements in Ireland I think.

Email or call the careers advice offices in all the IT's and University that you know of and ask if you can forward her CV.

Also tell her to get advice from a CV workshop, A good CV is critical regardless of experience

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

Thanks so much! This information is perfect and should keep us busy for a while.

She will be staying in Swords so anywhere in Dublin would be good, but the closer to Swords the better. With regards to preference of industry, I don't think it matters since we are in a 'beggars can't be choosers' sort of situation. Her tutor did say to try and get a placement in a sweets factory? I don't think it really matters though, as long as it's somewhat related to her course.

Thanks again for the reply krustycustomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Siemens have a medical diagnostics equipment centre in Swords, where they test and refurbish X-ray machines etc. Might be local and relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Renishaw are also based in Swords, might be of interest.

http://www.renishaw.com/en/About-renishaw--6432

Set up by a man from Clontarf, now Sir David Mc Murtry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McMurtry

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Advertisement