Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patricks Hospital Dublin

Options
  • 13-06-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there, I hope someone can help me. I have been in a worsening crisis of severe anxiety and depression for 6 months. Finding it harder and harder to cope and constantly worrying about 'what am I going to do', comparing, self loathing, neurosis, severe social anxiety, self loathing, personality disorder and more(feel like the most screwed up person I know). Anyway, I have been trying various things(meditation, swimming - but neither give me relief and I'm so worried all the time)and seeing a psychiatrist and counsellor through the hse in Cork but the 1 hour a week with therapist is inadequate and this combined with my increasing self destructive nature means i'm just going in Circles. I know only I can do this but i don't have faith in myself to break free of this hole all alone at the moment. The worst thing at the moment is that I haven't been able to make a decision in a long long time (since before Christmas) and it's causing chaos in my life and head. I know it may sound ridiculous but I'm utterly paralysed by it. Anyway, I have been considering going to St Pats in Dublin, although I constantly stop myself as I'm so loody indecisive and feel it's not going to solve anything going to hopital and I'll just grow dependant on the support(was in hosp several times as a teenager - 29 now). SO many questions buzzing around in my head, Just wondering is there anyone that can tell me about their experience in the hospital, if it was helpful and is there a holistic approach??? Would really appreciate any feedback, Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irishbipolar

pigmeb wrote: »
    Anyway, I have been considering going to St Pats in Dublin, although I constantly stop myself as I'm so loody indecisive and feel it's not going to solve anything going to hopital and I'll just grow dependant on the support(was in hosp several times as a teenager - 29 now). SO many questions buzzing around in my head, Just wondering is there anyone that can tell me about their experience in the hospital, if it was helpful and is there a holistic approach??? Would really appreciate any feedback, Many Thanks

I have been in St. Pats a few times. Its a good hospital - staff are great. I can be daunting at the start but you get used to it i.e. new people, new routine, etc. The main point of going there is to follow a timetable every day - of lectures, group therapy and even some lesiure type activites. You would get to see your doctor most days which is a plus. There is no harm in giving it a go. It could be the turning point you are looking for.

Before Xmas I spent some time in St. Edmundsbury Hospital, Lucan, Co. Dublin. I was in for a change of medication and the reason why I went there was because my doctor is based there now. Its a small hospital (50 patients) (as opposed to St. Pats ~ 250). I was told if I was 'sicker' I wouldn't be allowed into St. Eds and I would have to go to St. Pats. St. Eds, because its so small, is very laid back. When I was there alot of the patients struggled with depression/anxiety. Like St. Pats, each patient has a timetable of classes. St. Eds is a good hospital too.

If you feel you need more help and you can't find it yourself, well then, in my opinion, then there is no harm in trying it out. The times I had to check into a hospital I had to make the same decision as you. It feels like a big decision but you can get the necessary tools needed to live your life in a better way.

Best of luck with it and I really hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Sorry for reopening this thread but whats it like in there. It looks quite old from the outside and I was reading it costs a fortune to stay in there - are all the rooms private?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Sorry for reopening this thread but whats it like in there. It looks quite old from the outside and I was reading it costs a fortune to stay in there - are all the rooms private?

i have no real help to offer, but check out the anxiety/depression thread. someone in there may be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Acedia.

Apart from some observation bays all the patients are in single rooms. Most of the rooms are en suite now. Parts of the hospital are very old but it's constantly being improved and upgraded with state of the art wards and therapy rooms etc. The staff treat the patients with great respect and they strive to keep the patients as independent as possible.

They offer all kids of menus, like gluten free, vegetarian, low fat. Nobody complains about the food. There are loads of non-clinical activities; art, pottery, crafts, gym, computers... The whole hospital has free WiFi.
    It's only a few stops on the Luas to Jervis and Heuston station is next door and they like to see the patients going out and about and avoiding getting institutionalised.

The medical director wrote a book of case studies showing the recovery journey . Although there isn't much about the inpatient experience it gives a sense of the level of care you can expect and the focus on getting you "living, working and loving" once again. It's called In My Room by Jim Lucey.

Hope that helps.

Acedia. wrote: »
    Apart from some observation bays all the patients are in single rooms. Most of the rooms are en suite now. Parts of the hospital are very old but it's constantly being improved and upgraded with state of the art wards and therapy rooms etc. The staff treat the patients with great respect and they strive to keep the patients as independent as possible.

They offer all kids of menus, like gluten free, vegetarian, low fat. Nobody complains about the food. There are loads of non-clinical activities; art, pottery, crafts, gym, computers... The whole hospital has free WiFi.
    It's only a few stops on the Luas to Jervis and Heuston station is next door and they like to see the patients going out and about and avoiding getting institutionalised.

The medical director wrote a book of case studies showing the recovery journey . Although there isn't much about the inpatient experience it gives a sense of the level of care you can expect and the focus on getting you "living, working and loving" once again. It's called In My Room by Jim Lucey.

Hope that helps.
    Theanks for the mail

I've decided to take the plunge and I arranged admission for a few days time. Will be handy having wifi as can use the iPad at times. TBH I'm terrified but I've heard lots of good stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Theanks for the mail

I've decided to take the plunge and I arranged admission for a few days time. Will be handy having wifi as can use the iPad at times. TBH I'm terrified but I've heard lots of good stories.

Hi donutheadhomer

I'm also hoping of getting into St Pats for a week or 2 ive heard that if you suffer with Anxiety and or depression the team they there are brilliant in getting you sorted out

in my case i have on / off depression and anxiety so i figure this hospital could be a real help to me

Did you get your GP to refer you to St Pats ?

Best of luck with your treatment

Gp sent referral letter and I was seen in dean clinic for free by psychiatrist and psychologist and they recommended coming in for longer assessment. They genuinely seem lovely and very approachable.

Even admitting what has been going on has been a relief of sorts - a what was going on was bizarre.

Let me know how you get on and feel free to pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

sorry for dragging up this thread but really need to know if they take public patients?

going through a really tough time with anxiety and panic attack changes of meds etc and feel I need to be admitted for a week or two to sort my head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

sorry for dragging up this thread but really need to know if they take public patients?

going through a really tough time with anxiety and panic attack changes of meds etc and feel I need to be admitted for a week or two to sort my head out.

I believe they don't, they're a private hospital. They would refer you to St. James or a different service, depending on your catchment area. You or your GP can look and see where you can go, E.g. the St. James catchment areas are here:
    http://www.stjames.ie/Departments/DepartmentsA-Z/P/Psychiatry/DepartmentOverview/

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

No sorry they dont take public patients which is a pity I know how you feel and its hard to be this situation. have you any insurance VHi aviva ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement