Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick apple -apple logo on grey screen- help!

Options
  • 04-01-2006 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

my apple imac 17 inch flat screen(2002)--has gone on strike with grey screen and the greyer apple logo in the center the machine just wont boot up, i have tried the hardware test cd starting via hold down the c key, and restarted holding down the option key nothing seems to work can anyone suggest a different restart tecnique?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

first thing i'd do is to zap the PRAM.....hold cmd+alt+p+r while booting and keep it held til you hear the startup sound about 5 times. hopefully this'll do the trick.

Otherwise try booting into single user mode: cmd+s on startup
    once there(if there) enter: fsck -fy
    enter: reboot

it may be a matter of repairing the permissions which the above should do for you

let us know how u get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭contact23

thanks for the tip babypink, i tried the two suggestions, got the sound bits but then the grey screen reappears......and nothing,,,do you possibly have any other tricks to show me ... I would appriciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You don't have another machine do you? If so you could startup in target disk mode by pressing T on startup and using firewire connection between the machines. Then you could have a gander inside the disk and do some checks.

1) hold cmd+v on startup to boot in verbose mode. this'll list everything the OS is doing as its loading...you should be able to see then what its stuck on....should give a good idea how to proceed

2) hold shift on startup to try booting into safe mode. if this works its something to do with ancillary startup extension

Gordon makes a good point too actually

well i have hooked up a powerbook to the imac and restarted in t mode, nice one gordon , i saw the files i wanted hit the panic button shoved in a pen drive to extract them and since then all i got is a spinning ball,so .. I also tried the restart i v mode .. thanks babypink , but no joy there either. i suppose if i wait long enough the spinning ball will go , but my powerbook is on a 30 minute run as there is a problem with its cooling system...another story!! --- so i can only wait so long-- before the PB slows right down.

I may borrow someone else mac, though i know of nobody who would risk it given my current run of luck.

thanks for the advice , thanks to both of you! i think im on the rite track. will post progress

• Advertisement

Not sure if this will do anything but everything is worth trying: while you're in target disk mode open up Disk Utility from the Applications-Utilities folder and you may be able to repair permissions on the disk. Failing that you could at least do a repair disk.

to conclude the story, I tried all suggestions and reluctantly rang apple support, who guided me thru to a reinstall!!!

, unfortunatly there was not enough space on the hard drive to archive and install so i got stuck with a clean install all data dumped!!

thanks anyway

sorry didn't work out fully! ah well fresh computer though

F*cks sakes. Sorry to hear that. If your data is quite important to you you could try TechTool Pro to recover the data? Although maybe others here can suggest a better program that would recover data from a completely erased disk & reinstall?

Advertisement