Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering who's who

Options
  • 19-01-2004 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

First year engineering TCD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

4th year chemistry/experimental physics ucd

oh and carrying on from daveirl i'd like all engineers on boards to post up there course and college and people from other science related disciplines also so we have a broad knowledge base to draw from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

1st year theoretical physics, TCD

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Physics and applied maths, UCC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

4th Year Electronic Engineering DCU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SideshowBob

Postgrad Electronic Engineer in UL with too much time on his hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

Postgrad, chemistry/materials science, TCD

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

2nd year Elec. Engineering UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Graduate Aeronautical Engineer, UL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

3rd Year Electronic Engineering - NUI, Galway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Mechanical Engineering, UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Electronic/electrical engineering - DIT Kevin Street

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

4th year Electronic/Computer Engineering IT Blanchardstown

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

2nd year Electro-Mechanical Engineering @ IT Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

4th year Mathematics & Computer Science, DIT Kevin St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

4th Year Theoretical physics, in some of datas classes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

3rd year elec eng UCD:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by blondie83
    3rd year elec eng UCD:ninja:

Mwuahahaha I know a few postgrads there, I shall be making enquires!

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!! I knew I shouldn't have posted up here. With the extremly low amount of girls in elec they probably won't have any trouble finding me either! Who are they anyway, what are they like? what do they wear? I probably know a few of them from the labs. Actually come to think about it they prob don't like me very much, I'm always messing up my experiments!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Postgrad in Dept Elec Eng UCC, with a physics degree. So I would probably have taught daveirl labs when he was in first year.

• Advertisement

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!! I knew I shouldn't have posted up here. With the extremly low amount of girls in elec they probably won't have any trouble finding me either! Who are they anyway, what are they like? what do they wear? I probably know a few of them from the labs. Actually come to think about it they prob don't like me very much, I'm always messing up my experiments!:(

There are only three blonde girls in your year.
    I doubt they'd be happy with me posting their names up. ;)
    I would imagine you're EF?

Originally posted by syke
    There are only three blonde girls in your year.

Right this is starting to get scary now:eek: I'm not EF though, keep on trying!

Right this is starting to get scary now:eek: I'm not EF though, keep on trying!

Emm so dow to two ;)
    Ok erm....
    I'm always messing up my experiments!

I'm guessing SO, but otherwise C (by process of elimination)

SO it is :D:D:D congratulations!!! :D:D:D

Although I've got to ask, who is C, what are her full initials, cos I'm wrecking my head here trying to figure out who it might be? It's actually slightly worrying that randomn ppl can find out so much about me, I swear Dublin/UCD is way too small! Hope your postgrad friends aren't too annoyed by me in labs. I think they think our class is fairly cynical for some reason. Ah well, take it easy all:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Mechanical Engineering, UL

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Postgrad in Robotics in TCD (now writing up for my PhD), with computer/electronic engineering degree from TCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Wow sparks I never knew you could go on to do robotics from the TCD course, what are the career prospects like for that? What are you doing your PhD on? Would one be able to get into areas like the latest Desert Challenge, that was on on the 13th?

PN, there's no course on Robotics, but you can do a postgrad by research in just about any field. There's a research group for computer vision and robotics, so I approached one of the lecturers attached to it and asked. There's a similar group in UCD. Career prospects - well, for robotics, there aren't so many in industry, but if you're doing a PhD you pretty much only do it for to stay in research and/or academia anyway. My stuff is on a mathematical area related to Kalman filtering. And the Desert Challange was mainly a research challange for automated vehicle research - there's noone working on that area here that I know of at the moment, at least not on that scale. You could try Oxford or EPFL in switzerland though, on an Erasmus program.
    There are other such competitions on a smaller scale like the Robocup competition and a few dozen others though, you occasionally see entries to those from Irish teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Would you recommend the engineering course in TCD?

Is there much applied maths in it? I'm doing it (applied maths) at the moment and I love it.

What is Kalman filtering? Just so I can get a general idea on what sort of topics you PhD guys do.

Surely you could get a job at Sony or those other corporations, they seem to have a fairly decent bit of work going on with Aibo etc?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    Would you recommend the engineering course in TCD?
    Well, it depends. :)
    If you're aiming for industry, UL might be better. If you're sure you want to be in the IT industry you don't want to do engineering. But as a general engineering course, it's pretty good. Just don't think that you'll be taught, so much as you'll be able to learn.
    Is there much applied maths in it? I'm doing it (applied maths) at the moment and I love it.
    First year applied maths was pretty much the leaving cert done with calculus. And you can say that engineering is applied maths at a fundamental level.
    What is Kalman filtering? Just so I can get a general idea on what sort of topics you PhD guys do.
    An introduction to the Kalman Filter
    Surely you could get a job at Sony or those other corporations, they seem to have a fairly decent bit of work going on with Aibo etc?
    Well, yes, if that is the area you're interested in. But you won't be able to publish your work (japanese robotics research is almost all corporate in nature).

Advertisement