Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft embrace hardware backed security models

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

I have been dealing for the last 2-3 nights with my sister in England who left pc world with a new laptop last week. Only to arrive home and to be fair the retail card key code she received for the McAfee suite took me almost 7-8 attemtps to get it installed .

My sister obv had issues, googled mcafee install help , and was then bumped to that guy in deli who tells her at least 10 hackers are on her pc , her wifi is hacked , and all her data is in danger . Instructed her to call the bank while he was on the phone "working" on her pc . got all funds back as there was 300 pending .

This type of system would aid, to greatly protect the masses in those whoppsie moments and i would hope slow or stop malware spread as it is nothing is able to stop the user from being a retard (Sorry sis).

I have flagged the phone numbers , ips , drop locations , company names and business names this shower operate under and at least with the products where i work filters and bans are going in place .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

dbit wrote: »
    I have flagged the phone numbers , ips , drop locations , company names and business names this shower operate under and at least with the products where i work filters and bans are going in place .

Hi dbit,

I work in Tech Support and we do get a lot of calls about this. I don't really mind except sometimes they try to claim it was us they spoke to - in one case a guy said I had personally charged him £195 for resetting his admin password!

Sadly from a legal point of view there's not a lot to be done... I would have thought telling someone they had a virus and extorting money from them is a crime but I suppose that depends on the country you're calling from!

Your sister is very lucky to have you, imagine in future she'll call you before using the first number that comes up on Gooogle! :)

anvilfour wrote: »
    Hi dbit,

I work in Tech Support and we do get a lot of calls about this. I don't really mind except sometimes they try to claim it was us they spoke to - in one case a guy said I had personally charged him £195 for resetting his admin password!

Sadly from a legal point of view there's not a lot to be done... I would have thought telling someone they had a virus and extorting money from them is a crime but I suppose that depends on the country you're calling from!

Your sister is very lucky to have you, imagine in future she'll call you before using the first number that comes up on Gooogle! :)

Well her bank welcomed her in with open arms declaring she is the first to get out of this unscathed in her branch. They were more than happy to help her and told her on record she was the first one to come in with this complaint and actually WIN.

total cost to her was 6 pounds for missed direct debit. The more alarming thing here more than the social engineering she fell pray to, was her bank denying her the ability to report fraud and stating , "you gave your details to someone" , "nothing we can do". The company i work for provide the sec solution for her bank and i was highly alarmed by what the phone based agent advised, i called them and reported her for not accepting fraud report. Its all sorted now and 200-300 is all back in my sisters hands. ( Poor thing is in nursing college and she would not be able to absorb that kind of loss)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

dbit wrote: »
    Well her bank welcomed her in with open arms declaring she is the first to get out of this unscathed in her branch. They were more than happy to help her and told her on record she was the first one to come in with this complaint and actually WIN.

total cost to her was 6 pounds for missed direct debit. The more alarming thing here more than the social engineering she fell pray to, was her bank denying her the ability to report fraud and stating , "you gave your details to someone" , "nothing we can do". The company i work for provide the sec solution for her bank and i was highly alarmed by what the phone based agent advised, i called them and reported her for not accepting fraud report. Its all sorted now and 200-300 is all back in my sisters hands. ( Poor thing is in nursing college and she would not be able to absorb that kind of loss)

Astonishing you mention this dbit, as we were chatting about this just now I got a call from a lady who had seen pop up saying she had a virus and to call a certain number - luckily they ended the call when asked to pay £150 on their credit cards.

I am really sorry for the experience you had at the bank. I imagine Irish law is like UK law where you're not obliged to pay if money was lost through fraud?

Something I am doing for customers at the moment is suggesting that they install the AdblockPlus and Disconnect extensions in their browser of choice.

This seems to make it less likely that these faux adverts will appear in the first place e.g if I google "Apple Tech Support" in Safari which has no extensions installed, the first link which appears is a number to contact a company called iYogi who are scammers. Doing the same thing in Firefox which has the Adblock Plus extension installed shows Apple's actual page as first link.

• Advertisement

Ye the day of cold calling seems to be coming to an end they can now use google analytics and a number of tricks to make sure they snag those people googling for help , less resources for them and more inbound wins .

Advertisement