Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Areas to avoid in D15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

lilymc wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I don't know many estates as of yet but have seen a few options in Waterville, Verdemont, Huntstown, Lohunda and Woodbrook in Carpenterstown. There is so many places to rent i'm lost tbh! If you know any pros or cons of living there??
    amdublin wrote: »
    ^^^^

So waterville, verdemont & huntstown would not be within walking distance of the train.
    You'd be talking bus into town.
    If you are talking bus then verdermont & waterville would be better than huntstown (quicker to get on to the main road into town)
    Waterville is not close to train, it is not bad though, know quite a few people living there and no problems. It is straight across from Corduff though, and whilst it is better now, it has quite the reputation.
    amtc wrote: »
    I live in waterville - dead quiet and get the 8.12 bus so am in town in half an hour

I've lived in Waterville for 8 years and disagree that it's not within walking distance. I can do it in 20 mins through the hospital and that's not running. I like to get the train in the summer as I feel I get free exercise going to and coming from the train.

Not all of Waterville is the same..some clusters are heavily rented out, the ones with more owner occupiers tend to be quieter. I would avoid Waterville Terrace...I don't like the really high density blocks.

Yes Waterville is across the road from Corduff but it's a wide road ;) We're well back from the road and rarely have trouble. The apartments are larger than most of the other new developments and there is plenty of green space in the development as well as the large Waterville Park.

High-ish density living suits me..I feel safer here than I ever did in a house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

athtrasna wrote: »
    I've lived in Waterville for 8 years and disagree that it's not within walking distance. I can do it in 20 mins through the hospital and that's not running. I like to get the train in the summer as I feel I get free exercise going to and coming from the train.

Not all of Waterville is the same..some clusters are heavily rented out, the ones with more owner occupiers tend to be quieter. I would avoid Waterville Terrace...I don't like the really high density blocks.

Yes Waterville is across the road from Corduff but it's a wide road ;) We're well back from the road and rarely have trouble. The apartments are larger than most of the other new developments and there is plenty of green space in the development as well as the large Waterville Park.

High-ish density living suits me..I feel safer here than I ever did in a house.

Do you walk to Castleknock or Coolmine station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Google maps gives Waterville to Castleknock 1.6 km, 19 mins. 24 via main st Blanch. 32 mins to coolmine.

Google maps is very handy for this kinda things.

Theres also this http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

lilymc wrote: »
    Yes, Blanchardstown, Castleknock, Clonsilla, Coolmine & Carpenterstown. These are the areas we are considering after looking at a map as they are close enough to train stations to commute. If you know anything about them areas it would be a great help.

Hi lilymc

To get a clearer picture can I ask where are you commuting to?, and why D15 and not to the area you will commute to.
    Have you a preference, Apartment or house, is there a budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

Even if trouble is limited to some parts of these the D15 areas mentioned I'd be inclined to look elsewhere as its better to be safe than to be sorry. There are plenty of nicer parts of dublin to live in where you have little to no chance of scumbags rather than an average chance.

True, there's nobody living in D15 because they could afford to, but didn't want to live somewhere nicer.

There's a reason that the area is a favourite of immigrants and that's because it's cheap. It's the same in every city in the world.

Unfortunately, whilst cheap housing attracts immigrants, it also attracts less desirable elements of society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Oddjob wrote: »
    True, there's nobody living in D15 because they could afford to, but didn't want to live somewhere nicer.

There's a reason that the area is a favourite of immigrants and that's because it's cheap. It's the same in every city in the world.

Unfortunately, whilst cheap housing attracts immigrants, it also attracts less desirable elements of society.

Bullsh1t, D15 is a very big area, talk about your area and name it , it might be helpful to OP, I love the area (Laurel Lodge), neighbours, schools, shops, transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Do you walk to Castleknock or Coolmine station?

Castleknock. Cut through the hospital and through the car park behind the Vinyard to save time.

nudger wrote: »
    Bullsh1t, D15 is a very big area, talk about your area and name it , it might be helpful to OP, I love the area (Laurel Lodge), neighbours, schools, shops, transport.

Read my post, I don't live in D15, I can afford to live somewhere better. People live in D15 for a reason, they're not tossing a coin when they bought between living in Sandymount and Tyrrellstown.

Nothing against D15, but that's the way it is. It's a fact of life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Excuse me! Speak for yourself. How dare you!

I live in a very nice area beside a train that takes me into town in 25 minutes. I'm near a fantastic big shopping centre. A short drive to Ikea :) A canal that is lovely to stroll along. Beside the Phoenix Park which I make full use of at the weekends.
    A cinema close by....
    A theatre!

Shall I go on?

Read my post, I don't live in D15, I can afford to live somewhere better. People live in D15 for a reason, they're not tossing a coin when they bought between living in Sandymount and Tyrrellstown.

You don't live here yet you know why we do live here????

How arrogant of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Where are you living, out of interest?

Excuse me! Speak for yourself. How dare you!

I live in a very nice area beside a train that takes me into town in 25 minutes. I'm near a fantastic big shopping centre. A short drive to Ikea :) A canal that is lovely to stroll along. Beside the Phoenix Park which I make full use of at the weekends.
    A cinema close by....
    A theatre!

Shall I go on?

I am speaking for myself, everyone lives in the best area they can afford. It's human nature, you look at schools and shopping, and all other amenities etc, and then make your choices, within your budget.

You choose to live there, if you had a bigger budget, you probably wouldn't.

That's why I mentioned immigrants, their priorities are earning as much money as they can, so they tend to live in the cheapest areas as they see rent as waste, that's why they flock to D15.

It's cheap for a reason.

I am speaking for myself, everyone lives in the best area they can afford. It's human nature, you look at schools and shopping, and all other amenities etc, and then make your choices, within your budget.

That's why I mentioned immigrants, their priorities are earning as much money as they can, so they tend to live in the cheapest areas as they see rent as waste, that's why they flock to D15.

It's cheap for a reason.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Have you visited Castleknock?

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

I lived in Ranelagh for a few years, then moved to Blackrock, but didn't like it, so I moved to Upper Leeson St.

It's cheap for a reason.

Parts of Dublin 15 are some of the most expensive parts of the country, so I suppose you are speaking primarily about the more western parts of Dublin 15? As much as their is some truth in what you are saying, you are coming across as extremely arrogant and snobbish.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Have you visited Castleknock?

Yes, I have. Is Castleknock the entirety of D15? As for me being snobbish, read the thread, there's burglaries,and anti-social behaviour in every part of Dublin?

No, there isn't, I have never been burgled, and my neighbours have never been robbed, there's no vandalism and no kids knacker drinking on the weekends.

And I've never had any of those things happen to me either :confused:

Dublin 15 is a very large area. You are choosing to ignore very nice areas in D15 (one of them being Castleknock).

Dublin 15 is a very large area. You are choosing to ignore very nice areas in D15 (one of them being Castleknock).

Yes there are nice areas, but the majority are not nice. here's a hint for you if you ever decide to move.

If rents are low, nobody wants to live there, and there's a reason

If rents are high, people do want to live there, and there's also a reason.

People mentioning Castleknock like it's a beacon, there are parts of D15 that will be a ghetto in the near future, you decide if you want to live there.

Edit - Actually, forget it.

Yes, I have. Is Castleknock the entirety of D15? As for me being snobbish, read the thread, there's burglaries,and anti-social behaviour in every part of Dublin?

No, there isn't, I have never been burgled, and my neighbours have never been robbed, there's no vandalism and no kids knacker drinking on the weekends.

This guy has burgled your neighborhood, including the Department of Justice...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/teen-burgled-department-of-justice-401251.html

:D

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    This guy has burgled your neighborhood, including the Department of Justice...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/teen-burgled-department-of-justice-401251.html

:D

Meh, I don't see where he's even been in my postcode. But I'm sure you feel clever, and that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

And some people choose to live were they live due to having family live near by.
    Dublin 15 has the population of cork city there will always be posh places, dodgy places and plenty of nice in bewteen places.

I get your point you wouldn't live here, great that's your choice, you've had your say.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, could we please keep this civil. Thanks.

From personal experience, had circumstances been different I wouldn't be living in D15 myself. But that's because I'm from the southside and would prefer to be closer to my family, who all live there. However when buying a house on your own you buy what your mortgage can afford, so Oddjob does have a valid argument in that regard. However I can't say I'm unhappy with my decision to buy here and there are many parts of the city that I would choose D15 over if I was house-hunting again. Sure, there are some bad areas, but you'll find them on the southside too. And Castleknock would be a desirable address no matter what part of Dublin it's in. But unfortunately it's a sad indication of the current situation the country is in that crime is on the increase, and really there isn't any part of the city that's immune. Of course you're more likely to be a victim of crime in certain parts of the city, and certain parts of D15, than others. But these days I wouldn't be sitting smugly anywhere thinking that I could never be broken into or mugged. The odds are still stacked against that happening to you, just not as much as they used to be.

Anyway, this is all getting OT and not necessarily helping the OP, so could we please get back on-topic. Thanks.

Claiming a city center location (or near it) has never been burgled or has crime, is ludicrous. Not to mention such a sweeping disparaging generalization across such a massive area. I don't get this fixation of Castleknock being the only quiet area in D.15 unless you don't know the area very well.
    The initial census returns of 2011 show that Dublin 15 is one of the fastest growing areas in Ireland and is the biggest suburban area in Dublin. With over 100,000 inhabitants, Dublin 15 is bigger than Galway and Limerick Cities and also has a population greater than several of the counties in Leinster (e.g. Kilkenny, Laois, Carlow or Longford).

Yes there are nice areas, but the majority are not nice. here's a hint for you if you ever decide to move.

If rents are low, nobody wants to live there, and there's a reason

If rents are high, people do want to live there, and there's also a reason.

People mentioning Castleknock like it's a beacon, there are parts of D15 that will be a ghetto in the near future, you decide if you want to live there.

I mentioned castleknock because you were yacking on about it being cheap.

You have mentioned tyrellstown once or twice. Far from a ghetto. Have you been there tecently? There are many different nationalities livinh there ranging from irish to imigrants from africa to italians and spanish working in ibm and ebay. Its not a ghetto though.

Id take it any day over soi disant nice area like bedsit heaven parts of rathmines or concrete hell parts of stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Oh dear.

I choose to live in D15 because
    1. I get to live near the Phoenix Park
    2. I can walk to the largest public library in Ireland
    3. I am only 20 min drive away from the airport
    4. I have friendly neighbours
    5. I am close to the Blanchardstown Centre
    6. I feel safe walking the streets at night with the dog
    7. I am only a short commute by bike to town

Will I go on?

PS> I am not an immigrant and I would always choose the Northside over the Southside to live.

I also take extreme offence at you calling myself and other D15ers less desirable elements of society.
    I ask you to take this statement back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Why feed this Oddjob character, he's obviously a gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

I lived in Ranelagh for a few years, then moved to Blackrock, but didn't like it, so I moved to Upper Leeson St.

I find that alot of people offer this type of opinion on places even though they've probably never stepped foot there! its happening alot and i would go as far to say that people have taken out bigger mortgages that they couldn't afford to move to places that have a reputation to be "nicer" and with a bigger value. Thats all gone out the window now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have lived in Clonsilla since 1983 and I have no desire to move. My house is close to the railway and bus routes and not too far from the M50. It suits me and my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gerarda

Oh dear.

I choose to live in D15 because
    1. I get to live near the Phoenix Park
    2. I can walk to the largest public library in Ireland
    3. I am only 20 min drive away from the airport
    4. I have friendly neighbours
    5. I am close to the Blanchardstown Centre
    6. I feel safe walking the streets at night with the dog
    7. I am only a short commute by bike to town

Will I go on?

PS> I am not an immigrant and I would always choose the Northside over the Southside to live.

I also take extreme offence at you calling myself and other D15ers less desirable elements of society.
    I ask you to take this statement back.

I'm also offended by this! Im living in Tyrrelstown for the same reasons, I've never been robbed / mugged etc. We could have gotten a 1 bed shoe box somewhere else but we decided we didn't want to be ripped off. Some of my friends bought apts in Dundrum and Stillorgan at the same time that now have families and now they want to move to D15 for more space!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement