Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Lottery Hack

Options
  • 16-04-2015 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Bit of a sh1tty lottery (to me anyway) since the numbers are picked by a computer but anyway.

A head of Computer Security at a US Lotto infected the Machine with a Rootkit so he could predict the numbers and went off and bought the winning ticket, sat on it for a year and then through a Belize Company tried to cash it using a New York attorney with just hours to go before it expired.

Well Duh. Duh Duh Duh.

It's about as predictable as a modern election.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/04/prosecutors-suspect-man-hacked-lottery-computers-to-score-winning-ticket/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭INPUT INNPUT

Speak of the devil,

Meet the e-voting machine so easy to hack, it will take your breath away

A now "decertified" voting machine, already used in 3 states, with super duper hardcoded/unchangeable passwords like "admin" and "abcde" and even superer wifi encryption with WEP

I doubt theirs being a non fiddled with election anywhere in the world in Decades.

Papers king but when you leave Ballot Boxes overnight, naaaaaaaaaaaa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Speak of the devil,

Meet the e-voting machine so easy to hack, it will take your breath away

A now "decertified" voting machine, already used in 3 states, with super duper hardcoded/unchangeable passwords like "admin" and "abcde" and even superer wifi encryption with WEP

I doubt theirs being a non fiddled with election anywhere in the world in Decades.

Papers king but when you leave Ballot Boxes overnight, naaaaaaaaaaaa.

Na we prefer a slap in the face regarding democracy , LISBON TREATY II didn't require a hacked platform just a dopey bunch of "ara ill do it tamarra!" types. Lolz.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

For something important like voting I would be completely against the use of electronic voting in any form online or using a voting machine. Machines are instructed to do something by humans, but it will always have vulnerabilities. They don't have any intelligence. This is an example of why I think they shouldn't be brought in. Potentially, while all speculation, someone if they wanted to could manipulate or hack the count to pull an intended result. Call me old fashioned, but e-voting is not as secure in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Mr. G wrote: »
    For something important like voting I would be completely against the use of electronic voting in any form online or using a voting machine. Machines are instructed to do something by humans, but it will always have vulnerabilities. They don't have any intelligence. This is an example of why I think they shouldn't be brought in. Potentially, while all speculation, someone if they wanted to could manipulate or hack the count to pull an intended result. Call me old fashioned, but e-voting is not as secure in my opinion.

And in our case humans are instructed to do something by humans . Viva le Lisbon treaty Two , isint democracy just tan friggin fastic.

Advertisement