Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: donating clothes to the homeless

Options
  • 02-12-2014 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey guys!

I would like to donate some clothes and supplies to the homeless this winter, having been moved to tears by some of the homeless people myself and my partner met in Dublin last year. We weren't there long but over the 2 days we spent a chunk of our 'shopping money' on food and drink for people and their furry companions (money well spent for sure!!)
    Im not sure if you can donate supplies to be given out directly or is it preferred that you donate to the shops raising funds for them???
    I'm sure my partner would be happy to go to Dublin or anywhere supplies are needed and donate a few sacks of supplies with me (I have hospital apts this side of xmas in Dublin anyway). Just wondered where to go or should we be giving the items to be resold in a charity shop. Thoughts, suggestions, advice????
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

ring the simon community i seen them earlier on telly handing out clothes etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You probably shouldn't worry about whether your clothes will be distributed directly to the homeless, or sold and the proceeds used for other purposes beneficial to the homeless - the agencies who actually provide the services are probably best placed to judge what is the best use to make of your donation. Depending on exactly what items you donate, some may be distributed but the bulk is likely to be sold to raise funds. There is no particular merit in you making the selection of what to distribute and what to sell. The Simon Community has shops in Camden Street and Thomas Street and you can drop off clothes at either place. Washed and folded, please! They'll also take accessories, crockery, glass, linen, toys and books, if you have any you want to pass on. Just make sure that everything you leave in is at least in saleable second-hand condition. No electrics, for safety reasons. No bedding or bedlinen, for hygiene reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Looshkin

Thank you guys,

I will bring as much as I can to one of the Simon shops. I'm planning on asking family and neighbours if they have anything they want to donate that I can bring with me. The stuff so far is in excellent condition (due to my weight yoyo-ing through illness) so I really want to do some good with what I have. Hopefully I can get a carload of decent and usefull stuff to help those who need it. Cheers for all the responses. X

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD: Not really a Humanities forum discussion topic. Locked. But I will not delete it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement