Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

its coming! Google Nexus 9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Is it possible to read files from a USB OTG drive on nexus devices without root?

Because I don't mind the 16GB version if I am able to put movies on a USB drive

yes indeed it is, just get nexus media importer from the playstore, I think its only a couple of euros. you can store movies,photos etc on a usb micro stick and play them on your nexus.works quite well.

here,s a link. you could shop around and you might get them cheaper

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/type/USB_Products/OTG_USB_Drives/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Nexus media importer and USB OTG keys work great with the older nexus devices. Expect it to continue with the new 6 and 9.

Another option is a device like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CEB5QU2/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Creates a WiFi network so you may easily connect to media stored on USB devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

My Amazon order's est. delivery is back to November 7th-8th

Yep. Good news from Amazon
    The items listed below will actually be dispatched sooner than we had originally expected based on the new release date:

"HTC 8.9 inch Nexus 9 Tablet - (Black) (ARM 2.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 32GB Memory, Wi-Fi, Android v5.0)"
    Previous estimated arrival date: December 19 2014 - December 20 2014
    New estimated arrival date: November 07 2014 - November 08 2014

Looks like the hardware is arriving at reviewers/journalists.
    We should see some decent hands on reviews soon
    http://www.computerworld.com/article/2840279/nexus-9-android-50-hands-on.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Glad to hear this for you guys who preordered from Amazon. I wonder will we ever really learn what was happening behind the scenes, that caused them to think they would be delayed almost to Xmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Hears6

duridian wrote: »
    Glad to hear this for you guys who preordered from Amazon. I wonder will we ever really learn what was happening behind the scenes, that caused them to think they would be delayed almost to Xmas?

Poor communication between suppliers and Amazon/Google if I had to hazard a guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Actually, if I was to hazzard a guess, I'd say that the shipment was held up at port... There can be up to two weeks waiting to get containers onto ships and out to sea in many Asian countries... Irrespective of whether it was pre booked or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

how would Samsung's Tab S screen (Super AMOLED) compare to the Nexus 9's?

• Advertisement

Sam Mac wrote: »
    how would Samsung's Tab S screen (Super AMOLED) compare to the Nexus 9's?

The tab s Amoled would have a better screen,but for me,its what's under the hood that counts.

The tab s Amoled would have a better screen,but for me,its what's under the hood that counts.

(Sigh) If the N9 had a card slot I would be all over it. Especially for the price they would want to include that 'feature'! ... :(

Why dont people get an OTG USB Stick if they need extra storage? Theyre not expensive and even though theyd stick out a little id rather that then getting a worse tablet.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/OTG-Micro-USB/Corsair/Corsair-32GB-Voyager-Go-USB-3.0-OTG-Flash-Drive

I don't see how the Tab S 8.4 is the 'worse' tablet, besides the TouchWiz/bloatware Samsung usually includes.

How are Google with open-box returns? Want to try it out at least, see what I think..

Sam Mac wrote: »
    How are Google with open-box returns? Want to try it out at least, see what I think..

Well then you should wait until it is available in retail stores or try a friend's one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Great to see Google making it available here from launch. It was a bit of a joke that their European headquarters were in Dublin, but if you wanted a Nexus device you'd either have to get on to your second cousin in England, or wait months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭corkie

From this site

Another better one from Android Authority

For people moaning about the lack of sd card some posts from the thread that may help: -
    Why dont people get an OTG USB Stick if they need extra storage? Theyre not expensive and even though theyd stick out a little id rather that then getting a worse tablet.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/OTG-Micro-USB/Corsair/Corsair-32GB-Voyager-Go-USB-3.0-OTG-Flash-Drive
    I dont know why people are angry that there is no expanable storage,there is! As poster above pointed out an otg cable is the answer and they only cost a few euro.none of the other nexus 7,s or the nexus 10 had sd slots.i have one of these and they work perfectly with nexus media importer
    www.memoryc.ie/products/description/32GB_Transcend_Jetflash_380S_OTG_USB2_0_Flash_Drive-Silver_Edition/index.html
    corkie wrote: »
    The lack of sdcard support on the Nexus 9, was going to be a decider between it and the Nvidia Shield Tablet.

Until I found the app BubbleUPnP which allows me to stream media from the SDcard on my xperia z1 to my Nexus 7 over wifi, if i need to.

The above will also work when I use tethering from my xperia z1 (without been connected to data).

There is also another alternative for people who don't have a phone with SDcard and do not like having OTG hanging from there devices: -

SanDisk Connect 64GB Wireless Flash Drive

There is also alternative wireless flash drives or wireless storage devices.

Looking to expand the storage? Some people might like this device: -

Dash Micro for Android

Edit 1/11/14: Both 32GB Models now out of stock on the Irish Playstore

Are the folio cases available on the Irish play store, or have they been at any point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Some now saying the Amazon date has moved out again until the week before Christmas........even ones who received the updated mail advising of next week's launch.
    Order history changed etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

McDermotX wrote: »
    Some now saying the Amazon date has moved out again until the week before Christmas........even ones who received the updated mail advising of next week's launch.
    Order history changed etc

Mine still has a delivery date of late next week but under the product name on my order it says its released mid-December

They changed the delivery date showing under my account earlier to December again!
    Just when I thought I'd have it within a week.

Just received the following
    Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

"HTC 8.9 inch Nexus 9 Tablet - (Black) (ARM 2.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 32GB Memory, Wi-Fi, Android v5.0)"
    Estimated arrival date: December 19 2014 - December 20 2014

I'll leave the Amazon one open and see if i can source one locally sooner and cancel the amazon before it ships.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Nexus releases have never been great but Jesus Christ Google is making a shambles of this!

At least we actually get to experience this first hand though!

The white 32gb is now out of stock as well on the play store!

Not sure whether local retailers here are getting stock tomorrow.
    Nothing showing on PC world. Was much better when Declan was able to hold us boardsies preorders on launch!

I still have the order with Amazon but would ideally like to pick one up this week. If anyone sees the 32 gig model in stock I'd appreciate the heads up.

I will be disappointed if I don't have mine by the end of the week.

Bit of a bargain here for anyone interested on amazon France.16 GB nexus 9 and a Chromecast thrown in for free,379 euro.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000836783

I assume they deliver to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

NEXUS 9 now in stock ships in 2 days

jimmynokia wrote: »
    NEXUS 9 now in stock ships in 2 days

Only the black and white 16gb available on playstore. Both 32gb,s still showing as out of inventory.

I hope Littlewoods get this in soon, I find them quickest for delivery of most things and they're great to deal with.

Christmas present for myself I hope!

I hope Littlewoods get this in soon, I find them quickest for delivery of most things and they're great to deal with.

Christmas present for myself I hope!

20 euro cheaper than anywhere else for the 16gb on amazon france,and a free chromecast thrown in as well. Check the link in my post about 3 or 4 back.

20 euro cheaper than anywhere else for the 16gb on amazon france,and a free chromecast thrown in as well. Check the link in my post about 3 or 4 back.

Yup, I had a look and that's a great price.

5% discount and the device isn't even out yet!

Gotta love Amazon :P

Going on holidays soon so that's why I'm waiting.

Grand with my Nexus 7 for now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Just sold my 2013 nexus 7 and in the market for something new. I hadn't intended to go beyond 300 on a tablet although the amazon link above could just about make the deal. Also in the running are the Nvidia shield tablet and some lenovo yoga thingy. Should I just go for the nexus 9?

Just sold my 2013 nexus 7 and in the market for something new. I hadn't intended to go beyond 300 on a tablet although the amazon link above could just about make the deal. Also in the running are the Nvidia shield tablet and some lenovo yoga thingy. Should I just go for the nexus 9?

Yes for sure, i am biased towards nexus tbh,but if you got the nexus 9 i doubt you would be disappointed.

Argos Nexus 9 on there site.

Showing as out of stock on a few stores I checked, but maybe at midnight it might be available to put on reserve for anyone looking to get one local.

It cost €10 more than the playstore but they have a voucher deal on that expires on the 4/11/2014

Edit: - Checked after midnight and still out of stock, there probably just place holders until they get stock.

Yes for sure, i am biased towards nexus tbh,but if you got the nexus 9 i doubt you would be disappointed.

The nexus 7 was the only one I've ever owned. I did, have to take a look at the neighbours e-star today because it wasn't connecting to the internet and I thought it was a disaster and only a year old! I watch a lot of movies on my nexus and that's about all I use it for. I'm glad it's not loaded up with bloatware.

Mind me asking how much you paid and got for the Nexus 7? Was it the 32GB?

Just curious.

Mind me asking how much you paid and got for the Nexus 7? Was it the 32GB?

Just curious.

I bought the nexus 7 wifi 16gb on a whim when camping out in my truck last March without my laptop. I picked it up for €249 in pc world Naas although I think there was a €30 rebate plus I ran it through my own business and claimed back the vat. I sold it on today for €200 but I gave a case with that, set it up for the lady that bought it complete with new gmail account and gave about half an hour of a tutorial.
    As nice as a 32gb version would be I would probably get away without the bigger size as I have both netflix and skygo. I'm hoping for better sound on the new nexus as I can't always use headphones when watching shows as I would be listening out for one of my two phones ringing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭peteroregan

This is also worth considering, great spec for the price
    currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tabpro-10-1-tablet-16-gb-white-22083972-pdt.html?awc=1599_1415002376_7f13d3a40ed9843301d3fdbb07cb2592&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~PriceSpy~Comparison%20Engine&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=qqpxmxaq&istBid=t

postman watching starts from tomorrow:D

postman watching starts from tomorrow:D

I won't start my watching until I get an email from google with tracking info.
    Your order has been placed! After it has been processed, you will receive a separate email with your tracking number. You will not be charged until your order has been dispatched.

• Advertisement

I won't start my watching until I get an email from google with tracking info.

yeah I have been checking for any updates to my order,realistically I don't expect any change until maybe 5-6.00pm today or more thn likely tomorrow evening.....hopefully

incidentally, where exactly do they ship from? I assume they have worldwide warehouses,but where do we get ours from?

incidentally, where exactly do they ship from? I assume they have worldwide warehouses,but where do we get ours from?

Billed/processed in Dublin but shipped via a disti (computer 2000,/tech data) in the UK midlands for N4 and N10.

Woooohooooo just got my shipping email from google....its on the way!!

I just bought one from the amazon france site mentioned above to get the Chromecast. I think it said something about shipping in two to three weeks? Oh baguette!

My Nexus 9 has shipped, just got an email from google play.

Tracking no not activated yet (can take up to 24 hours).

• Advertisement

I just bought one from the amazon france site mentioned above to get the Chromecast. I think it said something about shipping in two to three weeks? Oh baguette!
    Yeah itsba bit of a bummer waitng 2-3 weeks,but look on the bright side,you got it for a tenner cheaper plus the free chromecast,equates to about 45 euros in your pocket :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭weslers

Billed/processed in Dublin but shipped via a disti (computer 2000,/tech data) in the UK midlands for N4 and N10.

Most items tend to fly out of East Midlands airport when coming from the UK. Still hammer the F5 button await my dispatched confirmation.

weslers wrote: »
    Most items tend to fly out of East Midlands airport when coming from the UK. Still hammer the F5 button await my dispatched confirmation.

Did you order on the 17th october? If you did i would guess your shipping confirmation will be with you shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭weslers

Yes droidman123 so fingers are still crossed. They are up on the Argos website but every store is out of stock so I assume tomorrow or Wednesday they will have the stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I only ordered mine last week (28th) and just got the shipped email.

• Advertisement
Advertisement