Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an sms app ?

Options
  • 29-05-2015 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

I've been using Handcent for years but the ads are now really starting to bug me and want to change. What are you people all using? Not keen on the stock app.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭GIMP

dragona wrote: »
    I've been using Handcent for years but the ads are now really starting to bug me and want to change. What are you people all using? Not keen on the stock app.

I use Textra, find it excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

GIMP wrote: »

does it have ads? Evolve sent me spam the other night

does it have ads? Evolve sent me spam the other night

You get a trial ad free for a number of weeks, then its a euro for add free version. Its the only app I have ever bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Anyone have problems sending bulk sms texts, as in 300 at a time? Android or the phone seems to cap the amount of texts to 10, 50 or 100 depending on phone/os version. No override available without rooting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

One app I would recommend is Mighty Text, it's not an SMS replacement app but it allows you to make and receive SMS from your table or computer.

I've often had my phone on charge and using the tablet, a text comes through on the tablet and ye can respond from there.

Very handy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm using textra too, it's very good, I was using GO SMS but then they got rid of the ability to send a contact for some odd reason and focussed more on form over function.

Textra doesn't seem to do delivery reports and I've been having a few problems with my network provider (Blueface/Three) where texts don't deliver to the recipient even thought they appear to send fine, so delivery reports are missed, but other than that it's a very good text app and just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭dragona

Will give Textra a go, thanks.

cormie wrote: »
    I'm using textra too, it's very good, I was using GO SMS but then they got rid of the ability to send a contact for some odd reason and focussed more on form over function.

Textra doesn't seem to do delivery reports and I've been having a few problems with my network provider (Blueface/Three) where texts don't deliver to the recipient even thought they appear to send fine, so delivery reports are missed, but other than that it's a very good text app and just works.

They do delivery reports, you need to select it under the settings menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Try Disa
    Its SMS, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp all bundeled in to one app. More on the way too with Telegram integration almost ready for release
    Its going through beta phase (almost over I am reckoning) but I find it brilliant. Combine threads from a contact and it has all the usual SMS stuff like delivery reports etc. with the added advantage of only having to install one app for numerous services

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

They do delivery reports, you need to select it under the settings menu.

I have it selected, but it doesn't give a "delivered" sign from what I can see, just a "sent" sign, how do you tell the difference between a text that has bee successfully sent, and a text that's been successfully sent and received by the recipient?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I use Hangouts and don't have any issues with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

MySMS I use can text from PC and has push notifications, 8sms is great as well also has push notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

Those who use like or use Textra like i used to should try Chomp SMS. Its from the same company and in my opinion a much better app. More features, visually better looking and free too with no adds unlike Textra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

dakid wrote: »
    Those who use like or use Textra like i used to should try Chomp SMS. Its from the same company and in my opinion a much better app. More features, visually better looking and free too with no adds unlike Textra.

There are ads on Chomp SMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I use the Google messenger app. Hangouts never showed up the names of people for the contacts that I text most often was a pain

Advertisement