Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humax HDR-1010S freesat+ opinions?

• 06-08-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to get rid of Sky and was considering the Humax HDR-1010S freesat+ box. Does anyone have one of these and care to share your experience please? Are there any Freesat boxes that you guys would recommend above this?

Functionality I am looking for....

7 Day EPG
    Series Link
    Pause/Rewind live TV
    Good remote and interface
    Catch Up services would be nice
    Not too expensive ;)

Cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

livEwirE wrote: »
    Hi all,

I want to get rid of Sky and was considering the Humax HDR-1010S freesat+ box. Does anyone have one of these and care to share your experience please? Are there any Freesat boxes that you guys find are better than this?

7 Day EPG
    Series Link
    Pause/Rewind live TV

You won't get a better freesat box than this imo. Its a great box and I dont miss sky at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Hi all,

I want to get rid of Sky and was considering the Humax HDR-1010S freesat+ box. Does anyone have one of these and care to share your experience please? Are there any Freesat boxes that you guys find are better than this?

7 Day EPG
    Series Link
    Pause/Rewind live TV

Some people prefer the older Humax Fresasat+ box but they're out of production now.

That machine you named will do all you've asked for but only ITV Player will work in Ireland for catchup.

evilivor wrote: »
    Some people prefer the older Humax Fresasat+ box but they're out of production now.

That machine you named will do all you've asked for but only ITV Player will work in Ireland for catchup.

If you have VPN BBC Iplayer works also ;)

That said, rarely use it as you can set to record everything you want if you plan ahead. Btw buy the 1TB version.

The EPG on the old humax box not as good as this new version imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭peneau

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    If you have VPN BBC Iplayer works also ;)

That said, rarely use it as you can set to record everything you want if you plan ahead. Btw buy the 1TB version.

The EPG on the old humax box not as good as this new version imo

And with the freesat app you can also have the ability to record remotely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

• Advertisement

peneau wrote: »

How do you get the app from Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

You won't get a better freesat box than this imo. Its a great box and I dont miss sky at all.

Glad to hear this!

Yeah, I've noticed that a few people prefer the older boxes alright. Tbh the catchup services are not such a big deal to me anyway.

peneau wrote: »
    Yeah great stuff. Although I've heard it still needs a lot more work but at least it is available:-D

I'm suspect if you googled how to set up a free UK iTunes account you might find out.

Not that I'm advocating you do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057251756

Post 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭kooga

i have the hdr 1010s, very happy with it. I use it mainly for recording.

@ Kooga, did you previously have Sky and if so how does it compare to a skybox? Does the remote make a loud clicking noise when pressing buttons(read this elsewhere). Apart from amazon.co.uk where is the best place to buy these boxes, I'm looking for the black version but have only seen the white one on amazon :(here - Is this the one you have mate?

@ Kooga, did you previously have Sky and if so how does it compare to a skybox? Does the remote make a loud clicking noise when pressing buttons(read this elsewhere). Apart from amazon.co.uk where is the best place to buy these boxes, I'm looking for the black version but have only seen the white one on amazon :(here - Is this the one you have mate?

Try here

http://www.tvtrade.ie/satellite-receivers/freesat.html

or Richer Sounds Belfast will deliver - not sure what the price difference is between them.

hi there i never had sky, i previously had upc on mmds and went FTA with a combo box. Recently i upgraded and opted for the humax box as i have a soarview tv so its was the best option.

Just to clarify the hdr 1010s is only available in white and it has built in wifi. yes that is the one i have
    it is the exact same as the hdr 1000s which is black and no wifi.

Given that the ondeamnd stuff is geo blocked in ROI i would opt for for the hdr1000s 1tb in black.

I bought mine from richer sounds in belfast in june when i was up in belfast it cost me £239 as i had a £10 voucher being a vip member. vip membership is free.

Yest the remote makes a clicking noise buts its not loud.

Series link is excellent i am recording for the whole family without fail
    e.g octanauts for the kids, walking dead on channel 5 coast on bbc etc etc.

Try here

http://www.tvtrade.ie/satellite-receivers/freesat.html

or Richer Sounds Belfast will deliver - not sure what the price difference is between them.

Thanks for that evilivor :)

kooga wrote: »
    hi there i never had sky, i previously had upc on mmds and went FTA with a combo box. Recently i upgraded and opted for the humax box as i have a soarview tv so its was the best option.

Just to clarify the hdr 1010s is only available in white and it has built in wifi. yes that is the one i have
    it is the exact same as the hdr 1000s which is black and no wifi.

Given that the ondeamnd stuff is geo blocked in ROI i would opt for for the hdr1000s 1tb in black.

I bought mine from richer sounds in belfast in june when i was up in belfast it cost me £239 as i had a £10 voucher being a vip member. vip membership is free.

Yest the remote makes a clicking noise buts its not loud.

Series link is excellent i am recording for the whole family without fail
    e.g octanauts for the kids, walking dead on channel 5 coast on bbc etc etc.

Thanks for letting me know about the difference between the 1000s and the 1010s. I would ideally prefer a black box. As you say the catchup services are geoblocked anyway - do any of them work at all? I thought I read that ITV player works? What is the advantage of having wireless would you say? I would be getting 2 boxes, one in the living room(broadband router hard-wired) and one in the bedroom.

Just signed up for richersounds VIP thanks ;)

Would you be able to put a small 22" LCD tv on top of this box as I have one in the bedroom.

One other thing, are there any problems recording from one channel and watching any other channel at the same time? I read an amazon review mentioning "that you have a limited choice of which programmes you can watch once your recording something".

I wouldn't risk putting anything on top of the box.

i only have one satellite feed going in to the box. I have not had any clashes between recording or watching two diff progs at the same time.

I don't know about iTV player i just did a quick try of the ondemand

the advantage about built in wifi is that you don't need a dongle. if you can get hard wired to router thats even better.

I wouldn't risk putting anything on top of the box.

i only have one satellite feed going in to the box. I have not had any clashes between recording or watching two diff progs at the same time.

I don't know about iTV player i just did a quick try of the ondemand

the advantage about built in wifi is that you don't need a dongle. if you can get hard wired to router thats even better.

Brilliant info mate, REALLY appreciate your help and sorry for all of the questions! I may have no other option than to put the bedroom TV on top of the Humax, to be fair I'm currently doing this with my sky hd box and its fine.

Thanks for letting me know about the difference between the 1000s and the 1010s. I would ideally prefer a black box. As you say the catchup services are geoblocked anyway - do any of them work at all? I thought I read that ITV player works? What is the advantage of having wireless would you say? I would be getting 2 boxes, one in the living room(broadband router hard-wired) and one in the bedroom.

Just signed up for richersounds VIP thanks ;)

Would you be able to put a small 22" LCD tv on top of this box as I have one in the bedroom.

One other thing, are there any problems recording from one channel and watching any other channel at the same time? I read an amazon review mentioning "that you have a limited choice of which programmes you can watch once your recording something".

If you have two inputs going in you will have no issues watching a channel and recording another, in fact, depending on the channel combination, you can record two channels and watch a third.

Let us know how you get on with it if you pull the trigger - I have one of the original Humax Freesat+ boxes (250gb capacity) and I'm thinking upgrading to take advantage of the new EPG and larger capacity. The only reason I've not done so is that it's been buttleproof since I got it - never given a problem.

BTW - I think both TV trade and Richer Sounds give a Boards discount worth asking for anyway.

• Advertisement

Brilliant info mate, REALLY appreciate your help and sorry for all of the questions! I may have no other option than to put the bedroom TV on top of the Humax, to be fair I'm currently doing this with my sky hd box and its fine.

Humax box a lot smaller than sky box. Check dimensions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

What about tv out options in these boxes? You can't do a magic eye solution like the sky boxes I gather. Are there any other options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

Does anybody know if these boxes (HDR1000s or HDR1010s) have any 'apps' such as Netflix or Now TV or anything else as standard? Info is sketchy on the Humax website although I have heard they were supposed to be be doing a deal with Netflix at some point.

no. my wifi box has you tube.

in the ondemand section you can get curzon cinema.

If you have two inputs going in you will have no issues watching a channel and recording another, in fact, depending on the channel combination, you can record two channels and watch a third.

Let us know how you get on with it if you pull the trigger - I have one of the original Humax Freesat+ boxes (250gb capacity) and I'm thinking upgrading to take advantage of the new EPG and larger capacity. The only reason I've not done so is that it's been buttleproof since I got it - never given a problem.

BTW - I think both TV trade and Richer Sounds give a Boards discount worth asking for anyway.

Glad to hear the recording and viewing of other channels is fine. Cheers for the tip on the discounts too! Will keep you updated if I pull the trigger on this :)

Humax box a lot smaller than sky box. Check dimensions

Thanks for the TIP Peppa Cig. I checked and its...
    Dimensions of unit (W x D x H) mm - 352 x 238 x 55

Might have to figure something out for the bedroom box :)

Thanks for the TIP Peppa Cig. I checked and its...
    Dimensions of unit (W x D x H) mm - 352 x 238 x 55

Might have to figure something out for the bedroom box :)

pull the trigger

heres a pic of my humax

pull the trigger

heres a pic of my humax

WOW, great pics thanks for posting kooga :D Gives me a great idea of how it would look at home! One question, what size is that Samsung TV above it, just so I can get an indication of size please?

thats samsung is 28 inch, it was the max the mrs would let me buy as it is in the GOOD ROOM!!!

• Advertisement

thats samsung is 28 inch, it was the max the mrs would let me buy as it is in the GOOD ROOM!!!

I hear ya buddy:D Thanks for letting me know!

Glad to hear the recording and viewing of other channels is fine. Cheers for the tip on the discounts too! Will keep you updated if I pull the trigger on this :)

Richer Sounds have a sub forum on Boards too so it's worth getting a quote - i've ordered by both them and TV trade in the past and they've both been excellent.

Richer Sounds have a sub forum on Boards too so it's worth getting a quote - i've ordered by both them and TV trade in the past and they've both been excellent.

I'll get some quotes alright :)

One other question, based on what others have use, what is the best UK postcode to use when setting up a Freesat box for the first time. I'd imagine something around the London area would be ideal? Can this be easily changed at some point or do you need to do a complete factory reset on the box?

as many have posted here use sw1a1aa buckingham place.

i realised if you use an NI postcode u do not get itv +1 on the epg

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

Iv been using the HDR1000S for over a year now and have to say its great,not a problem with it,I doubt you will find an easier 1 to use,ITV Player was working for me when i was in Ireland but now im in England the box is even better now i have use of all the on demand,which probably could be gotten with a VPN but never tried it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

manutd83 wrote: »
    Iv been using the HDR1000S for over a year now and have to say its great,not a problem with it,I doubt you will find an easier 1 to use,ITV Player was working for me when i was in Ireland but now im in England the box is even better now i have use of all the on demand,which probably could be gotten with a VPN but never tried it

Do you have to get a VPN or will changing the DNS work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

TvTrade +1

Excellent after sales service ( Thanks Peter ! )

I have about 3 yr old Panasonic DMR-XS380
    Had Humax before , I did like it a lot but I do like my Panasonic a bit better ...

1) Panasonic
    2) Humax
    3) something else.....SKY HD box with UK card?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

jca wrote: »
    Do you have to get a VPN or will changing the DNS work?
    Don't think the DNS settings can be changed but i could be wrong

For anyone in Ireland using the Humax HDR-1010S and no VPN I assume the scroll back functionality on the EPG to watch programs over the last 7 days which relies on the catchup services does not work at all :(

Thanks everyone for the advice on this thread so far, I really appreciate it. If anyone still needs the latest Freesat android app I've dropped the apk here.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the advice on this thread so far, I really appreciate it. If anyone still needs the latest Freesat android app I've dropped the apk here.

Thanks a mill!

For anyone in Ireland using the Humax HDR-1010S and no VPN I assume the scroll back functionality on the EPG to watch programs over the last 7 days which relies on the catchup services does not work at all :(

A quote from av forums in the Uk
    'Manually setting the DNS entries now works - hurray!'
    It seems since a firmware update in June 2014 DNS settings can be altered. If anybody cares to try that would be great. I haven't got my box yet.

More instructions for doing so below: (again credit to AV forums)

Turn off your DHCP server and reboot the HDR-1000S. Wait and it will try to get an IP address which will fail. It will then offer manual settings.

Irreverent wrote: »
    More instructions for doing so below: (again credit to AV forums)

Turn off your DHCP server and reboot the HDR-1000S. Wait and it will try to get an IP address which will fail. It will then offer manual settings.

Fantastic news! Thanks for sharing this mate. It would be great if someone could test this out and share the results here.

UPDATE: OP here, thanks to everyone for your help and for answering my questions.

I finally pulled the trigger and bought 2x Humax HDR-1000S (500GB) boxes (ordered from Richer Sounds - thanks evilivor) and have installed them successfully! So far so good, the interface is very nice and functionality is spot on to replicate a Sky+HD box. Series link/live pause/rw etc. works great. The EPG is very intuitive and easy to navigate. I'm still finding my way around but overall it's been a very smooth transition :) I'm using buckingham palace as the postcode (thanks kooga). ITV player does work out of the box but obviously not iplayer and 4OD. I haven't tried changing the DNS details to get around this yet. Overall I'm very pleased with device and would recommend it to anyone thinking of leaving SKY :D

Nice one. Mine has dispatched now too so should have it in the next day or two. Looking forward to playing around with it. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

I changed DNS settings on my Freesat+ receiver ( using Overplay SmartDNS monthly subscription ) and BBC iPlayer got connection no problem but streaming quality is awful ( buffers every 10-15 seconds ) . In my PC BBC iPlayer plays perfect.

delighted everybody is happy with their new purchases, well done and happy recording, series linking and watching TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    I changed DNS settings on my Freesat+ receiver ( using Overplay SmartDNS monthly subscription ) and BBC iPlayer got connection no problem but streaming quality is awful ( buffers every 10-15 seconds ) . In my PC BBC iPlayer plays perfect.
    I use unlocator on my PC, not in the luxurious position to have a Humax but I find all the players work perfectly.
    What does everyone do to watch RTE TV3 etc?

Seamus1964 wrote: »

Is this over a wired or wireless connection?

• Advertisement
Advertisement