Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another box question.

• 06-01-2013 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Pertaining to a junction at rathfarnham. I'm in the right lane to turn right at the yellow house. Left lane has a green light , right lane for me has a filter light but was not lit.

I naturally stopped until I was to get the fiLter light. My instructor (bike) roasted me to move onto the yellow box and cross when clear. What about the green filter light says me. He told me I'd fail my test if I waited for the filter light as against moving up to the yellow box to make the right turn.

What's the point of the filter light says me? Read the rules of the road and I'm still no clearer.
    Any thoughts? I look forward to your comments as I thought I was correct stopping in the right lane to await the light.

55a118e1cb77c6eb1eaeb38f9303adb8.jpg

738cd4d66e2d6e4f0991d53ed77e9a39.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

He was right, once your at the top. The lanes are controlled by one set of lights, if their is a second, you could have had red while the left lane was green and so on. I hope that's explained clear enough?

Ignore the filter if its not lit. Proceed as normal when you see green, unless their is a red light positioned directly beside it to control your turning lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

He'd be right if there was no yellow box there. The fact there is, however, changes things. Yellow box - don't enter unless you can exit. So I'd say you were right here

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FiftyNine

Looking at this it would seem that the light facing you is a round green light, not a green arrow, a round light means that all traffic can go, traffic straight ahead and traffic going right if it is safe to do so. A green arrow straight ahead means that only traffic that is going in the direction of the arrow, ie, straight ahead, can do so. You get the green arrow to the right and it means that oncoming traffic has a red light and it is safe for you to proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

When you are at a junction turning right you may enter the box once the road you are turning onto is clear enough for you to clear the junction.

I am sure he told you to position yourself on your side up to where the island and traffic light are on the road you are turning into. The island in the middle of the road your turning into.

What you done is bad and can be dangerous as the vehicle behind would be expecting you to go through.

Look at least you know now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

He was right in this case.

There isn't a straight ahead only light, and a right filter light.

There's a round "everyone go proceed with caution" light, and a right filter light.

With the round "everyone go" light, you take up your position in the yellow box to make your right turn. If you get an opportunity to make the turn before the right filter light comes on, that's ok, you can go. If, as often happens during busy times on that road, there's too much traffic coming against you, then you stay in the yellow box and the right filter will give you an opportunity to make the turn.

If the "main" light there wasn't round, but was a straight ahead arrow, then you'd maintain your position behind the line, not entering the yellow box, until your filter was green.

From the RSA:
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-lights-and-signals/traffic-lights.html
    If you wish to turn right at a set of traffic lights that has an arrow to the right, drive into the junction when you see a green light, taking care not to block any oncoming traffic. Then, when it is safe, finish your turn. You should only wait for the filter arrow for turning right when you are in the junction and if it would be dangerous to finish your turn before the filter light appears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Can't thank you enough for Replies. It was bothering me re this query.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FiftyNine

There are very clear replies to your query here, however your bike instructor should have explained all this to you rather than take a swipe at you. His job is to teach you not be judgemental. Just my thoughts on what has happened. Good Luck with the bike

Advertisement