Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idiots guide to Learning to Drive

• 26-12-2012 2:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Background:

I'm 27 years old and I can't drive! I have no driving experience at all but I'm looking to pick it up in the new year. I don't own a car or know any one in the area I live in who I can get to assist me in learning to drive so I'm going to go with the ISM for lessons and pick up how to drive from scratch from them. I'm on a second learner permit. (First was issued back in 2007 but I did nothing with it and it lapsed. The second learner permit was issued on 24-09-2012).

Questions:

I've a few questions though in terms of what the best approach to learning to drive is.

i) In terms of approach for learning to drive: I'm interested in other peoples opinions and experiences where they've learned from scratch: I was considering Two hours every Saturday from 12th January 2013 to 16th February 2013 to make up the 12 lessons. I've nothing to judge this against though so I don't know if perhaps this is too little or too much to try and take on.

Since its not my first license I also don't have to do the EDT course but when booking the training should I just ask to do the Essential Driver Training (EDT) course anyway or am I as well off to just go with 12 lessons?

ii) Any advice others have picked up learned from your own experiences of learning to drive.

thanks for any replies.

Note: I had done a search before posting and found threads such as: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056824296 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58571374

The scenario in those were a bit different / a while back though so I didn't re post at the end of them as they were zombie threads, though if Mod prefers feel free to move this there.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

If you have no vehicle then obviously driving lessons is only thing you can do.
    Are you planning on get a car anytime soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

areyawell wrote: »
    If you have no vehicle then obviously driving lessons is only thing you can do.
    Are you planning on get a car anytime soon?

I'm in a position where i can afford one straight away and tax / insure it.

its more from a practical point of view that i) if I bought it today I wouldn't be able to drive it home and ii) I've no one who I can get to be my designated driver that means I'm holding off until I've had at least a few lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There is no need for you to complete the 12 lessons, since you had your first Learner Permit in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

The more hours you have behind the wheel, the better. I'd say you should get your hands on some small, cheap car, and find a friend who's willing to drive you to industrial estates/car parks after hours so you can drive around. After a while, you'll start driving home along quiet routes, and then become more adventurous. It may be worthwhile waiting a few months until the longer evenings allow you to go and practice several times a week.

By all means get lessons, but I think they're a waste of time until you're 90% of the way there - use them to correct faults and learn the manoeuvres, not as a way to actually learn the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Regarding getting lessons, if you want to do 2 hours of lessons a week you'd be better off doing two 1 hour lessons on separate days rather than one 2 hour lesson IMO. I've tried both and found that after the first hour of a 2 hour lesson I was starting to make stupid mistakes, it was too much to take in at once.
    I changed instructors and my new instructor couldn't believe that the old one was giving 2 hour lessons to beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Where are you living/based?

I did the EDT course and found it very good as it concentrated on different aspects each time but covered all the essentials (Hence the name I suppose :P ). Passed my test first time with flying colours :D Although having a car to use everyday was more than helpful as the lessons alone would not be enough. I also spaced the lessons a bit more than you. I did 6 within the first 4 weeks but then took 1 every 2 weeks after that so I could practice in between...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

hi,
    i wouldn't bother with the EDT if i were you, its not really a great model IMO. having access to a car regularly, will be important fairly quick, but you'll gauge that yourself, as you'll begin to want to get one as you gain confidence.
    but just in case you decide not to go ahead for whatever reason at some point, don't buy for a while at least.
    i've had many people come to me to learn over the years, and a few of them ended up not going ahead with the whole driving thing at all, for one reason or another. also, you might find, after this long without it, its not worth the hassle!
    but, if after a few lessons, you get the graw for it, then you'll even have a few preferences on what you want to buy.
    as for the learning process, i'd try the one hour and the two hour lesson's. you will know what suits you soon enough. one things for sure, its an individual process! it'll only work your way, with an instructor you get on with and who gets you. what i mean is, an instructor who see's what you need to gain the skills to learn safely and proficiently!
    it should be enjoyable, as much as possible at least, after all, there is a bit of work to it, as there should be!!

good luck,

Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

snappieT wrote: »
    By all means get lessons, but I think they're a waste of time until you're 90% of the way there - use them to correct faults and learn the manoeuvres, not as a way to actually learn the basics.

I would say the complete opposite tbh. The worst thing that you can do is pick up bad habits, which is exactly what you will do if you drive from the start without proper instruction. For someone who has never driven before I would say the only way to start is to go and get some lessons to learn the basics from a proper driving instructor. I would never advise anyone to start driving until they have done so.

Its easier to learn it properly from the start than it is to try and sort out your bad habits at a later date.

Advertisement